Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-09, 12:01am
><>

LOL! This thread is going to turn into the giant Zimmerman Frit co-op swap
I'll trade you a little O' this if I can have a little O' that
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-09, 1:12am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
LOL! This thread is going to turn into the giant Zimmerman Frit co-op swap
I'll trade you a little O' this if I can have a little O' that
I like it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-09, 10:16am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I just ordered rod & frit and I'd happily split some with you, if you like.

I would love love love some rod in particular! How much do you want to share?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-09, 10:48am

Anyone care to do a Zimmerman Frit & Whatever's Left Buy?
Shawnette?? You did awesome frit buys!

Old 2011-02-09, 10:51am

Kalera, did the Blue Grass Green and Dark Gray devit at all?

Old 2011-02-09, 10:59am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Id love to get into that buy... but cant afford to buy it myself up front, but would love to have like 5 oz. of each color available.
Old 2011-02-09, 11:13am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
Kalera, did the Blue Grass Green and Dark Gray devit at all?
Yes, they did, and so did the gray blue. I REALLY like the dark gray, and both light blue and gray blue! I made test beads with light gray and olive brown last night but I haven't looked at them yet. I think I also got the blue olive but in size #2, so I'll either mash it into smaller frit, or make organics with it; I haven't tried it yet.

Old 2011-02-09, 11:15am
I'm a lilac!

I love the bulk buy idea; in fact, if you could get enough people together, I wonder if you could approach Olympic and ask what they'd take for ALL of it?

I mean, you might end up with a butt-ton of beige (I haven't tried the beige yet, for all I know it's awesome) but if enough people were in on it, it would probably be well worth it.

Old 2011-02-09, 11:19am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I love the bulk buy idea; in fact, if you could get enough people together, I wonder if you could approach Olympic and ask what they'd take for ALL of it?

I mean, you might end up with a butt-ton of beige (I haven't tried the beige yet, for all I know it's awesome) but if enough people were in on it, it would probably be well worth it.
Count me in.

Wait are we talking frit only? Or cane too? What about rod? That might be a LOT of moola!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-09, 11:25am

I'd be interested in frit, cane or rod. I don't mind breaking down those big rods and making my own frit and pulling cane!

Old 2011-02-09, 12:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Count me in.

Wait are we talking frit only? Or cane too? What about rod? That might be a LOT of moola!
It might be a lot... but it might not. And participants would be able to sell off any frit they didn't want. It seems like it would be worth calling and asking. If enough people went in on it, it could work out great! I've had the thought that if I was a frit vendor, I'd call and ask what they'd take for all of it. They might not have that much left, and they might be willing to go pretty close to their cost just to be rid of it.

Old 2011-02-09, 4:24pm
Lampworkaholic!

I just listed some Zimmermann Z-MIX-111 Lilac Rose / Yellow Green Frit in the Garage Sale, in case anyone is interested.

"The mix has tones of yellow green and lilac rose, which strikes to many different shades of purple and pink."

I will have some bead examples to show as soon as the temperature stays above freezing long enough to torch!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-09, 4:48pm

I'd be interested in this too!

Quote:

Old 2011-02-09, 5:41pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm selling off my extra frit... maybe if I sell enough of it I can afford to join a frit bulk buy!

Old 2011-02-09, 6:59pm
><>

Quote:
I'm selling off my extra frit... maybe if I sell enough of it I can afford to join a frit bulk buy!
I'm thinking there are enough frit, cane,rod and powder ho's in this thread
who have made big purchases, that we will all be able to swap and sell each
other Z-color for a long time
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2011-02-09, 7:25pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

So I searched for my Raku shards in the drawer and "found" an 5 oz. container of Val Cox shards labeled "Lilac Rose" COE 96. I remember that I bought them once very cheap in the Garage Sale together with the Raku shards.

Does someone know if they are Zimmermann shards?
I had a look on Val's webpage, but she doesn't seem to be offering shards anymore.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2011-02-09 at 7:37pm.
Old 2011-02-09, 7:46pm
Lampworkaholic!

Oh no Judith, they are some cheap imitation Lilac Rose shards - you should send them to me right away and get them out of your life.

Old 2011-02-09, 7:56pm

Hahahha ... Erose!!!
How comes I don't believe you?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-02-10, 7:52am
Lampworkaholic!

I wonder if I sent some of my Zimmerman cane to Joe H. if he would make me some shards with them ...

Wiat, I'd love to know how the shards react - would they be more likely to devit?

An example would be cool (hint).

Old 2011-02-10, 8:29am
I fart diamonds

Shards are easy to make. I'm pretty sure there's even a tutorial posted here. (free)

found it:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9782

Old 2011-02-10, 8:31am
Lampworkaholic!

Yes. I tried making shards. Decided I'd rather pay for them. Same with murini.

I do pull my own aventurine stringer, vine cane, rose cane, etc. ...

Old 2011-02-10, 8:49am
Does it come in purple?

I love purple rose and now I'm afraid to use what little frit I've got left Too bad Zimmerman don't sell their recipes to Reichenbach.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2011-02-10, 11:18am
Lampworkaholic!

Just for fun, I called OCR and asked how much Zimmerman stock was left (Rod, Cane, Frit, Powder). As of last month's inventory, they had 2,762 kilos left.

Old 2011-02-10, 11:30am
Light My Torch

Just for info I just got some r-106 from olympic. The price was great but what killed me was the shipping! 12.73 for glass shipping 16.61 i live in nebrasks.

Old 2011-02-10, 11:50am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Just for fun, I called OCR and asked how much Zimmerman stock was left (Rod, Cane, Frit, Powder). As of last month's inventory, they had 2,762 kilos left.
OSHI... that's a lot of glass!

I bet it's mostly beige.

Old 2011-02-10, 12:33pm

Quote:
I wonder if I sent some of my Zimmerman cane to Joe H. if he would make me some shards with them ...

Wiat, I'd love to know how the shards react - would they be more likely to devit?

An example would be cool (hint).
Got the hint
Will try to make some test beads tomorrow (got girl's night out tonight woohooo).

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-02-10, 12:46pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwiskus View Post
Just for info I just got some r-106 from olympic. The price was great but what killed me was the shipping! 12.73 for glass shipping 16.61 i live in nebrasks.
With most vendors, because of how the shipping companies structure their rates and because glass is a heavy but relatively cheap material, shipping is relatively high for small orders but proportionately very low for large orders; I am much closer to them than you, but shipping is usually about $12 for small (1-2 kilo) orders, but only maybe $16 for 10 kilos... $12 is a high proportion of my cost if I only spend $20, but if I spend $500, $16 is a drop in the bucket.

Old 2011-02-10, 12:57pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
OSHI... that's a lot of glass!

I bet it's mostly beige.
Lol!

I have the inventory list and there is a lot of variety, but yes, they have some extra light beige left, 38 kilos or so total frit, rod and powder.

Old 2011-02-10, 1:10pm
><>

Quote:
Lol!

I have the inventory list and there is a lot of variety, but yes, they have some extra light beige left, 38 kilos or so total frit, rod and powder.
I bet a lot of it is transparent, right?
Old 2011-02-10, 1:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
I bet a lot of it is transparent, right?
It's had to tell from the numbering system and the search on the OCR site isn't very helpful. Some of the colors aren't even shown on the OCR site.

But I would say there's a mix of transparents and opaques.

There is quite a bit of every shade of gray you can imagine.

Has anyone used Bluegrass Green? Is it Opaque?

Any thoughts about these:

Lt Blue Trans
Dk Emerald Blue-Green Trans
Blue Grass Green ???
Jade Green Opaque
Blue Violet Opaque
Extra Light Beige Opaque
Ivory ???
Salmon Trans
Blue Green Opaque
Dk Blue Gray Trans