LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-04-17, 12:10pm

Default 54% increase in the chance of a heart attack from sitting for most of the day...

I found this information on Yahoo last week. Since there are a number of people that sit while lampworking I thought I would put in this link:

http://alignwellnessblog.com/2011/04...-heart-attack/

Just in case they remove it here is the important/scary part:

"It all started last summer, when Assistant Editor Maria Masters came across a shocking study in the Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise (one of dozens of research journals we comb each month as we put together the magazine). Scientists at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Louisiana analyzed the lifestyles of more than 17,000 men and women over about 13 years, and found that people who sit for most of the day are 54 percent more likely to die of heart attacks.

That’s right—I said 54 percent!"

After reading this I have made some changes to the way I work...

Seemed like the Safety thread was the correct place for this info also...
Old 2011-04-17, 12:58pm
sunscreen me baby

Interesting study. I guess having to get up to put a bead in my kiln is a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-17, 1:12pm
Against the Grain

I'm all over the place when I make beads. I always felt kind of self-conscious about this, especially in classes. I guess it's a good thing. Now sitting here on the computer is very unhealthy. Guess I better get out of here.

Old 2011-04-17, 6:29pm

This is shocking?

Old 2011-04-17, 6:32pm
sunscreen me baby

This is the part that struck me as interesting:

Here’s the most surprising part: “We see it in people who smoke and people who don’t,” Katzmarzyk told Masters. “We see it in people who are regular exercisers and those who aren’t. Sitting is an independent risk factor.”

~

Old 2011-04-17, 7:08pm
Salt Box Beads

I can put my computer up high so I have to stand to use it and I already can stand at my bench, I guess I need to be more diligent in using my treadmill.

Thanks for the nudge.
Old 2011-04-18, 8:21pm

No question sitting is bad, as is the lifestyle many/most of us lead, not to mention the American diet (just don't get between me and a piece of chocolate). I know it's also a problem on long airline flights where people get blood clots and such. But, be careful of statistics. There is some small number of people who would have had heart attacks regardless. No idea, but let's say it's 1%. Now, increase that by 54%. Now we're at 1.54%. Not nearly so dramatic and with a lot of studies it might be lost in the noise (uncertainty) of the study.

Newspapers present bad statistics all the time, either out of ignorance or because it sells papers. Maybe both.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-04-18, 8:22pm

I sit a lot at work...but I stand when I torch...this affirms that decision for me!!

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2011-04-19, 8:49am

There are a number of things about this study that are concerning:

1) 54% higher risk of having a heart attack.

2) weight gain

3) lower back pain.

Since the study was with 17,000 people for 13 years that lends a little credibility to the data. If it was only a couple thousand it could be written off to a bad study group.

Also the effects are the same even if you exercise or don’t exercise, smoke or don’t smoke, eat a balanced diet or eat junk food 5 meals a day.

Plus there is other research to back up this study going back to 1953, British bus drivers were twice as likely to die from heart attacks as trolley drivers.
Old 2011-04-19, 1:29pm

I'm not saying the study isn't valid- it almost certainly is, just that you have to be careful in evaluating the importance of the numbers. In some cases very tiny percentages are a huge issue. Imagine if both sides of all the traffic lights in the world turned green at the same time only 0.0001% of the time. That would be a disaster. OTOH, if you've already got some small and fuzzy number, multiplying it by 1.54, though of course bad and undesirable, is less cause for panic. BTW, I don't know anything about trolleys- does the operator stand up?

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-04-19, 2:44pm
one day at a time

I'm sure most of you have heard about how important it is when traveling to stop and get out to stretch your legs and walk a bit at least every hour. Sitting in a car with legs cramped up for 2+ hours can be dangerous due to blood clots. I would think the same for being seated and torching. Also, make sure to get plenty of daily required fluids, because even slight dehydration can "thicken" the blood.

I have limited mobility but I can and do get up to move around some after I've been torching for 30 minutes. I try and make it not more than 20 minutes at a time. I'll at least stand up to stretch some.
Old 2011-04-23, 9:01am
Salt Box Beads

After reading this I decided to take action. In the back of my mind I knew I was sitting too much so this thread stirred me to action.

Thank-you TomK!

I changed the computer desk and raised my work surface on my jewelry table both to a height of 41.5 inches. I do have the saddle chair in case I need or want to sit. But the chair is reserved for when my back is out, or if I am feeling under the weather.

Here are some pics. The metal shelf is not nearly as pretty as the wood computer desk DH built but it serves the purpose. I am more into utilitarian than looks anyway.
Attached Images

Old 2011-05-01, 8:51pm
Living out Loud

I work in schools I, so I walk constantly. Thanks for the information. One of my colleagues told me that people who live in house with stairs tend to live longer than those who live in one story houses. Going up and down the stairs exercises your heart.

Old 2011-05-22, 6:15pm
Salt Box Beads

I am loving the new standing arrangements I made. My tummy is shrinking and my clothes are getting baggy. Too much sitting seems to cause a lot of side effects for me at least.

If you can, stand and move your bootie as much as possible, keep that blood flowing through through your veins and those muscles working. I like seeing the positive side effects so soon after changing my sitting habits and hopefully you will too.
Old 2011-05-23, 4:19am

So, how long did it take to get used to standing while torching?

I just got my torch set up outside and had fun playing yesterday. Did not miss sitting at all... Most everything cracked, but that's Ok, I was just getting used to heat control and making a round bead anyway...
Old 2011-05-23, 5:13pm
Salt Box Beads

I have always torched standing up. I tried sitting but didn't like it very much.

We do a lot of lapidary, metal smithing etc and moving between different work benches and it just felt natural to do the same with torching. I stand to sandblast, electroform, make metal bead caps, inserts for beads etc...

Also whenever I need to move quickly as in the case of a dropped gather, or glass rod shatter it is so much easier just to step back. without tripping over a chair. I do have a chair available for those days when I feel 90 years old.

My sister came for a visit from Texas and even she liked standing at the puter when she used. She also really liked my little wood table for my jewelry bench. She thought it was a very comfortable height.

Thanks again for spurring me to action. It is so easy to talk the talk, but I am so glad to be walking the talk too!

Practice is what counts...and having fun with your new hobby.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-05-23 at 5:32pm.
Old 2011-09-21, 12:00pm

There are a lot of good alternatives to sitting down guys. Even sitting in some kind of medical chair (I dunno if you have seen the cool chairs with the medicine ball seats?) but it is true that sitting all day is not the best idea for our health. Especially for a person like me with cheap health insurance, because I know there is no way I will be covered even though it is work related. Oh the joys of being a freelance artist.

Last edited by goldenearring; 2011-10-01 at 2:29pm.
Old 2011-09-26, 10:19pm
Salt Box Beads

I get plenty of sit down time: Reading, watching tv, dining in, driving to all of my downtown chores from store to store, driving to Redding once or twice a week to visit relatives and shop which is about 40 mins each way from where I live, dining out, going to the movies, making out the bills etc. I decided not to add to it with lampworking, jewelry making and computer time. It added up to a lot of sitting.

So I think if people really started adding up their sit down time they might be very surprised.
Old 2011-10-19, 9:25am
Now part of the Dark Side

I must be doomed then, I'm a programmer...