Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-17, 3:38pm
maybe tomorrow

Default How to use Osibin Formers

Kim Osibin is a friend of mine, so I learned how to use these tools properly from her, but I know there are a lot of people that are not using them the way they were meant to be used, and therefore aren't getting the full benefit of them. So, here is something that Kim sent to me a while back. Basically, holding the mandrel parallel to the handle of the former, you spin the mandrel IN ONE SPOT, to shape your bead. You do not roll the bead back and forth in the cavity. You spin it. And, be sure the glass is hot enough to move. Many people are working too cool, and the glass simply can't move enough to shape properly.

I hope this helps, because these are really excellent tools for balancing and shaping beads.

The Osibin Forming Series – The Osibin Former

For many years now I have watched my students struggle with shaping their beads. After many visits to Venice, Italy where beadmakers primarily use metal presses to shape each and every bead, I realized beadmakers in the U.S. could benefit from a new series of shaping tools. I came home with many ideas, but did not want tools that were essentially molds, instead I was working towards a multi-task tool which would allow the beadmaker much more flexibility.

The Osibin Former
Now available in four sizes, (small, medium, large and extra large), this graphite shaping tool superbly assists the glass beadmaker in making any round/oval shaped bead. Each side of this two-sided shaping paddle has one half of an oval shape cut into it. The oval starts as a narrow and shallow curve, and as it widens out it gets deeper. The curve of the oval is different on each side. This tool is so flexible that it can make very small or very large shapes, all faster and better than using a traditional flat paddle. This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

There are several ways to use the tool. The idea is to allow you to shape any round/oval bead in a curved depression instead of on a flat paddle, which can be difficult to say the least. When you try to make a round/oval bead working on a flat paddle, you actually create infinitesimal tiny flat facets on the surface of the bead. If instead, you work within a curved depression you are working with the form you are trying to create.

1) The simplest way to use the tool is to marver your bead with the mandrel perpendicular to the depression. Find one spot that is close the length of the wrap of glass and roll, staying in just that one spot. This will create a bead with perfect tapered ends and a fatter belly. Working in this way you can make several different sized beads on each side of the tool. So, the original Osibin Former makes large to extra large beads, while the new smaller version makes small to medium sized beads. For multiple layered beads you can start by working at the narrower end of the depression, and move to the wider area as you add more glass, so the shape will be perfect at each stage of the bead. Angle the bead a bit as you redefine each end and you can create more gracefully tapered ends. This may take a bit of practice to get the same, but with a bit of time you will easily get the hang of it.

2) Work within the depression, at various angles, in some cases one half of the bead at a time, with either the mandrel/tapered end towards the open end of the paddle, or at the opposite end, depending on size and desired shape. You will need to experiment with the paddle to get the hang of it. Using the tool in this manner you can make any size and shape round/oval/teardrop/tapered bead.

3) By pressing the bead in the depression one half at a time after shaping you can create various tabular and amphora shaped beads. I use the tool in this manner to make my Aotearoa River Stone beads.

The Osibin Forming Series – Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper

I love bi-cone beads! For many years now I have been making long bi-cone beads and cone shaped Vessel beads with wide tops and gracefully tapered bottoms. Anyone who has tried to make these shapes knows how very difficult it is to do. Now there is a tool to help perfect these very desirable shapes, and make it oh so easy! This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

The Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper is one of the most versatile graphite glass shaping tools available. Two long tapered V shaped grooves are arranged in reverse to each other on one side of the tool to facilitate easy shaping on both the left and right side of the bead. The other side is a flat surface so it can be used as a regular paddle. The tool can be used in several ways to create various shaped and sized beads.

1) To make a symmetrical bi-cone with straight sides and a 90º center angle hold the mandrel, with glass on it, perpendicular to the direction of the tapered V groove and rotate the mandrel. Work rolling in one spot, the over all size of the bi-cone is determined by the amount of glass originally put onto the mandrel and where you work in the V. Using the tool in this way you can easily make several different sized beads.

2) For longer bi-cones it is necessary to shape the bead one half at a time. Hold the mandrel, with glass on it, parallel to the direction of one of the two V grooves. Holding the bead at an angle, marver the bead with the tapered end at the widest point of the V, (work right at the end of the V to make nice blunt ends). Switch to the other V shaped area to make the other half of the bead. By holding the mandrel at different angles to the groove, you can make any length or angle cone, bi-cone or vessel shape with either a straight or curved profile. The over all size of the finished shape is not limited by the size of the V groove. Remember to shape the tapered end in the wider part of the cone.

3) Make a cone shaped bead by simply rolling within the length of one of the V shaped groove. If you change your angle a bit while you are marvering you can create many different shaped cones and even teardrops. In order to make the shape you must keep the bead turning or you will end up making more of a faceted bead, which leads me to the next possibility with this versatile tool.

4) So, last but not least, after you make your basic bead shape, working within the V, you can simply turn and press to get a faceted affect. Think of the endless possibilities...four sided cones and bi-cones. Try three sides, or create tapered facets simply by changing the angle of the bead. With The Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper the possibilities are endless.

The Osibin Forming Series – The Osibin Lentil Shaper

This graphite tool is really a bead mold. I love this form and have struggled for years trying to create tabular beads that were perfectly round. If you like this shape as much as I do with this tool you can’t go wrong. This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

The Osibin Lentil Shaper is a graphite tool for making lentil bean shaped beads. It has four different sized depressions so that you can make different sized beads, or make a graduated strand of beads if you like. Better than pressing the glass between two curved shapes of a mashing tool because each of the tool’s four diameters has a different curve to them that, when worked over the glass, can give you near limitless diameters and profiles.

1) To use the tool wrap the glass on the mandrel to match the length of one of the depressions, a good starting shape is oval, (an oval bead will be round when pressed flat). Then heat the bead and press first one side, then heat and press the other. I like to press gently so that I don't squash or over press one side of the bead. It can take a little time to get used to how much glass is just right for each mold, but you will quickly get the feel of it. It is possible to rotate the bead a little within the depression in order to create a slightly larger bead. The final form takes shape surprisingly fast.

2) You can use this tool to create nice shallow buttons and cabochons by gathering a ball of glass on the end of a glass rod and then pressing the ball into one of the lentil shaped depressions.

3) Make a lentil shaped base bead, decorate and then drop a large gather of casing glass on each side of the bead to create a nice optical effect.

4) To make multi layered beads work in a smaller depression and move up to the larger ones as you add glass.

The Osibin Forming Series-The Osibin Disc and Donut Shaper

Disc and donut beads can be difficult to shape. Especially when working with thin wall stainless steel tubing or the Emiko Big Hole Mandrels. This tool helps to create perfect sidewalls on those oblate disc and donut beads with ease. This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

The Osibin Disc and Donut Shaper is the latest in a series of tools designed by Kim Osibin and Craig Milliron of Arrow Springs. It is a graphite shaping tool with four different long tapered grooves carved into one side, the other side in flat and can be used in place of a regular paddle. The grooves are shallower at the tapered end getting progressively deeper to the open end. Each groove is a different width to create different bead sizes. The tool can be used in several ways.

1)To make a disc or donut bead hold a mandrel with glass on it perpendicular to one of the four grooves. Choose an area to rotate the bead depending on the thickness/bulk of glass on the mandrel and based on what size bead you want to make.

2) To create multi layered beads you can work in the deeper carved areas as well as moving from one groove to another as you build layers of glass to make the bead thicker. Be sure to stay in one place once you find the right spot for the amount of glass you have. This creates perfectly even glass around the mandrel as well as perfect sidewalls.

3) Try making a donut bead and then switch to the Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper to a create tapered edge!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-17, 4:22pm

Thanks for posting this, Toni; it's very helpful.

Mimi
Old 2011-07-17, 4:27pm

Thank you Toni!

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-07-17, 5:59pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Thank you so much Toni, this is a huge help to me!

Old 2011-07-17, 6:58pm

This is great info ! Thanks Toni. I know haven't had much interest in these until now that I read your detailed explanation. I think they may go on my wish list. Maybe they should add it to their website.
Old 2011-07-17, 7:00pm

Now I'm just debating the large or the medium Osibin former. ( I want them all but am going to have to settle for one!)

You've been a big help Toni.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-07-17, 8:17pm
maybe tomorrow

I'm glad this is helping. Kim has tried to get Craig to put the instructions on the AS website, but he's super busy, and easily distracted. I really think they'd sell more of them if it was clear how they were used. I'll bug him about it next time I see him.

For people that are struggling with chosing a size, I'll tell you that Kim makes BIG beads, so these are sized accordingly. The medium is the most popular size, but keep in mind that these are basically for focals, so even a medium makes good sized beads.

Last edited by Toni Lutman; 2011-07-17 at 8:20pm.
Old 2011-07-17, 8:24pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I have the bi-cone/vessel shaper and I've been having good success with it but I think with the tips I will do much better. It seems I've been doing things backwards (don't ask). Typical for me.

Old 2011-07-17, 8:46pm

I didn't know how to use those properly for a long time. Remember Toni, you taught me when I was teaching the class you were in?

Old 2011-07-17, 9:04pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I didn't know how to use those properly for a long time. Remember Toni, you taught me when I was teaching the class you were in?
Yep. Makes a bit of a difference, doesn't it?

Old 2011-07-18, 6:25am
Angie09

A YouTube video of the correct way to use it would be great for those of us that are visual ... any hope for that?
Old 2011-07-18, 7:26am
honorary bead lady

Why not ask Corri to move this to the free tutorials section???

Great info
Old 2011-07-18, 8:01am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
A YouTube video of the correct way to use it would be great for those of us that are visual ... any hope for that?
I could probably get some photos easier than a video. I'll see about that, but my computer crashed a while ago, and I had to get a new one, and the new one won't support the version of Photoshop I was using, so I need to buy a new one, so it will be a little while.

Actually, what I should do is find out if Kim has any images that she can put up. I'll check with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Why not ask Corri to move this to the free tutorials section???

Great info
I didn't think of that. If I get some photos up, I'll pm Corri, as it will be more tutorial-like.

Old 2011-07-18, 8:08am
da General

(The bold type makes my eyes hurt . . . now I can read it! lol! )

The Osibin Forming Series – The Osibin Former

For many years now I have watched my students struggle with shaping their beads. After many visits to Venice, Italy where beadmakers primarily use metal presses to shape each and every bead, I realized beadmakers in the U.S. could benefit from a new series of shaping tools. I came home with many ideas, but did not want tools that were essentially molds, instead I was working towards a multi-task tool which would allow the beadmaker much more flexibility.

The Osibin Former
Now available in four sizes, (small, medium, large and extra large), this graphite shaping tool superbly assists the glass beadmaker in making any round/oval shaped bead. Each side of this two-sided shaping paddle has one half of an oval shape cut into it. The oval starts as a narrow and shallow curve, and as it widens out it gets deeper. The curve of the oval is different on each side. This tool is so flexible that it can make very small or very large shapes, all faster and better than using a traditional flat paddle. This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

There are several ways to use the tool. The idea is to allow you to shape any round/oval bead in a curved depression instead of on a flat paddle, which can be difficult to say the least. When you try to make a round/oval bead working on a flat paddle, you actually create infinitesimal tiny flat facets on the surface of the bead. If instead, you work within a curved depression you are working with the form you are trying to create.

1) The simplest way to use the tool is to marver your bead with the mandrel perpendicular to the depression. Find one spot that is close the length of the wrap of glass and roll, staying in just that one spot. This will create a bead with perfect tapered ends and a fatter belly. Working in this way you can make several different sized beads on each side of the tool. So, the original Osibin Former makes large to extra large beads, while the new smaller version makes small to medium sized beads. For multiple layered beads you can start by working at the narrower end of the depression, and move to the wider area as you add more glass, so the shape will be perfect at each stage of the bead. Angle the bead a bit as you redefine each end and you can create more gracefully tapered ends. This may take a bit of practice to get the same, but with a bit of time you will easily get the hang of it.

2) Work within the depression, at various angles, in some cases one half of the bead at a time, with either the mandrel/tapered end towards the open end of the paddle, or at the opposite end, depending on size and desired shape. You will need to experiment with the paddle to get the hang of it. Using the tool in this manner you can make any size and shape round/oval/teardrop/tapered bead.

3) By pressing the bead in the depression one half at a time after shaping you can create various tabular and amphora shaped beads. I use the tool in this manner to make my Aotearoa River Stone beads.

The Osibin Forming Series – Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper

I love bi-cone beads! For many years now I have been making long bi-cone beads and cone shaped Vessel beads with wide tops and gracefully tapered bottoms. Anyone who has tried to make these shapes knows how very difficult it is to do. Now there is a tool to help perfect these very desirable shapes, and make it oh so easy! This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

The Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper is one of the most versatile graphite glass shaping tools available. Two long tapered V shaped grooves are arranged in reverse to each other on one side of the tool to facilitate easy shaping on both the left and right side of the bead. The other side is a flat surface so it can be used as a regular paddle. The tool can be used in several ways to create various shaped and sized beads.

1) To make a symmetrical bi-cone with straight sides and a 90º center angle hold the mandrel, with glass on it, perpendicular to the direction of the tapered V groove and rotate the mandrel. Work rolling in one spot, the over all size of the bi-cone is determined by the amount of glass originally put onto the mandrel and where you work in the V. Using the tool in this way you can easily make several different sized beads.

2) For longer bi-cones it is necessary to shape the bead one half at a time. Hold the mandrel, with glass on it, parallel to the direction of one of the two V grooves. Holding the bead at an angle, marver the bead with the tapered end at the widest point of the V, (work right at the end of the V to make nice blunt ends). Switch to the other V shaped area to make the other half of the bead. By holding the mandrel at different angles to the groove, you can make any length or angle cone, bi-cone or vessel shape with either a straight or curved profile. The over all size of the finished shape is not limited by the size of the V groove. Remember to shape the tapered end in the wider part of the cone.

3) Make a cone shaped bead by simply rolling within the length of one of the V shaped groove. If you change your angle a bit while you are marvering you can create many different shaped cones and even teardrops. In order to make the shape you must keep the bead turning or you will end up making more of a faceted bead, which leads me to the next possibility with this versatile tool.

4) So, last but not least, after you make your basic bead shape, working within the V, you can simply turn and press to get a faceted affect. Think of the endless possibilities...four sided cones and bi-cones. Try three sides, or create tapered facets simply by changing the angle of the bead. With The Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper the possibilities are endless.[/b]

The Osibin Forming Series – The Osibin Lentil Shaper

This graphite tool is really a bead mold. I love this form and have struggled for years trying to create tabular beads that were perfectly round. If you like this shape as much as I do with this tool you can’t go wrong. This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

The Osibin Lentil Shaper is a graphite tool for making lentil bean shaped beads. It has four different sized depressions so that you can make different sized beads, or make a graduated strand of beads if you like. Better than pressing the glass between two curved shapes of a mashing tool because each of the tool’s four diameters has a different curve to them that, when worked over the glass, can give you near limitless diameters and profiles.

1) To use the tool wrap the glass on the mandrel to match the length of one of the depressions, a good starting shape is oval, (an oval bead will be round when pressed flat). Then heat the bead and press first one side, then heat and press the other. I like to press gently so that I don't squash or over press one side of the bead. It can take a little time to get used to how much glass is just right for each mold, but you will quickly get the feel of it. It is possible to rotate the bead a little within the depression in order to create a slightly larger bead. The final form takes shape surprisingly fast.

2) You can use this tool to create nice shallow buttons and cabochons by gathering a ball of glass on the end of a glass rod and then pressing the ball into one of the lentil shaped depressions.

3) Make a lentil shaped base bead, decorate and then drop a large gather of casing glass on each side of the bead to create a nice optical effect.

4) To make multi layered beads work in a smaller depression and move up to the larger ones as you add glass.

The Osibin Forming Series-The Osibin Disc and Donut Shaper

Disc and donut beads can be difficult to shape. Especially when working with thin wall stainless steel tubing or the Emiko Big Hole Mandrels. This tool helps to create perfect sidewalls on those oblate disc and donut beads with ease. This tool has cut my beadmaking time in half!

The Osibin Disc and Donut Shaper is the latest in a series of tools designed by Kim Osibin and Craig Milliron of Arrow Springs. It is a graphite shaping tool with four different long tapered grooves carved into one side, the other side in flat and can be used in place of a regular paddle. The grooves are shallower at the tapered end getting progressively deeper to the open end. Each groove is a different width to create different bead sizes. The tool can be used in several ways.

1)To make a disc or donut bead hold a mandrel with glass on it perpendicular to one of the four grooves. Choose an area to rotate the bead depending on the thickness/bulk of glass on the mandrel and based on what size bead you want to make.

2) To create multi layered beads you can work in the deeper carved areas as well as moving from one groove to another as you build layers of glass to make the bead thicker. Be sure to stay in one place once you find the right spot for the amount of glass you have. This creates perfectly even glass around the mandrel as well as perfect sidewalls.

3) Try making a donut bead and then switch to the Kim Cone, Bi-cone and Vessel Shaper to a create tapered edge!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-18, 8:16am
da General

Toni - you need to add #5 to The Osibin Lentil Shaper. I learn this from Cynthia. This is the ONLY Osibin shapers I use (I have two others that are just collecting dust) for it's PERFECT for olive-shape beads! Make a fat tubular shape bead and use the Lentil Shaper to gently taper the ends to create an olive shape.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-18, 9:17am

Toni - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!!!

I have several of these tools and have been unsure how to use them properly. This will be a huge help! It was extremely generous of you to take the time to write up these excellent notes!
Old 2011-07-18, 9:51am
maybe tomorrow

Hey all! I'm glad this is helping, but I can't take credit (other than for my fantastic copy/paste abilities ). I got all of this from a file that Kim had sent me a long time ago! That's why I had part of it bolded. That was to show what came from Kim directly.

Old 2011-07-18, 11:06pm
Millionaire in Training

This is a very timely tutorial! I just pulled out one of many Kim Osibin shapers I have that I never use and it's mostly because I don't know how! She told me how to use them, but it was at the Tucson Gem Show and it was at the very end of the last day of the Best Bead Show. Kim was very patient, and even gave me instructions which I still have, but I guess it's a learning curve...just like using a press is.

Thanks again, Toni. This is so cool when something like this shows up and just today I looked at the large disc shaper that I have. Then I found this article. Wow - synchronicity!
Old 2011-07-19, 5:11am
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you for posting this, I would love to see pictures of what the glass/beads look like during the descriptions. I'm not fully getting it, ok I'm totally not getting it!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-20, 6:57am

Toni,
I have looked at these tools but the descriptions do not do the tools justice.
In Heather Ferman's silver class she used a similar tool like the Kim cone and it was very efficient.
Thanks for posting this for us visual learners A picture is worth a thousand words but a great instruction is invaluable!!
MarieAnn
Old 2011-07-20, 9:24am
maybe tomorrow

Sorry I haven't posted pictures yet of the tools being used. I haven't heard back from Kim yet, but she's been working a LOT, and also has been moving. Hopefully she'll have some images available, but if not, it will be a bit before I can do it. I just got a new computer (my old one died), and I need to purchase a more recent copy of a photo editing software.

In the meantime, if anyone is still unsure of how to use the tools, post here or shoot me a pm, and I'll try to explain more.

Old 2011-07-20, 11:01am
Growing Edge Glass

I would love to see some pics too....I'll watch this thread!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-07-21, 4:08pm

Here's a good tutorial with pictures on using the lentil osibin marver.

http://www173.pair.com/mirish2u/lentil.htm
Old 2011-07-23, 9:51pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Toni, I hope you can get more pictures. I have been putting off buying any because the directions didn't really help.
Thanks, Pat
Old 2011-07-24, 4:49am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzy B View Post
Here's a good tutorial with pictures on using the lentil osibin marver.

http://www173.pair.com/mirish2u/lentil.htm
Thanks Mitzy ... that was helpful but I'm still vague on this tool ... but I'm REALLY interested in what it can do. Please Toni, more photos or even a quick video (I think I asked for this before ... sorry but it looks like a useful tool that I had no idea I might need!)
Old 2011-07-24, 7:39am
maybe tomorrow

I will definitely post pictures, but I'm waiting for my photo editing software to arrive, so it will still be a bit. Probably at least a week, and may be a little longer, till it gets here. I'd love to do a video, but really have no way to do that, so pictures will have to do.

Old 2012-10-05, 7:41am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I thought I would bump this up for newbies.

These tools are amazing and I use them constantly. They sat on my bench until Toni wrote this and now that I know *how* to use them I can't do without them.

Just sayin'

Old 2012-10-05, 10:36am

Thanks for bumping this, Astrid. Very helpful!
Old 2013-06-10, 8:59pm
Echo's Mother

Bumping this up in hopes that Toni will see it and post the promised pictures.
Old 2013-06-11, 9:51am
maybe tomorrow

Ack! I'm sooooooo sorry! I can't believe I totally spaced and forgot to follow through!

I can't do anything right now because I'm on my way out, but I'll try to do something later today or tomorrow.

If I don't, will someone please come over and KICK MY BUTT!

Tags
osibin shaper