No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-02-21, 10:19am
reaction junkie

Default make-up air question

I'm wondering what options there are for make up air. I was going to have a window that opened, but now I'm having french doors put in and I'm betting there are going to be rainy days where I won't want the door open... so I was wondering... is there something I can put in the wall - like an attic vent? That I can open and close - or that opens and closes automatically? Or something? And would that give enough make up air?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-21, 10:45am
Safety ALWAYS

See if your french doors come with a screen option.

You can also open a window in another part of the house.

The key is that the fresh air supply should be unpowered and a minimum of 10 feet away from the exhaust duct (or any other exhaust, like for the furnace or dryer or hot water heater).

Attic vents usually require punching a hole in the roof and quite honestly, that's a job for a contractor to ensure that you have a good seal around the shingles. Not something that the ordinary homeowner should consider, IMO.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-21, 10:54am
reaction junkie

I should have said, I'm in the process of building the structure now. Contractors are available! There are no other windows, and the doors open out, so if they are open they get rained on, screen or no screen. Are there vents that can go in the wall, rather than the roof?

Here is what it's going to look like, except two french doors, no windows:

Here's the progress so far, plenty of time to add a vent if I figure it out soon!

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-21, 11:14am
Shine your bright side!

Pam, can you place a small window in the opposite side from where the exhaust will be, or as far from the exhaust as possible? Should be easy for the builders to cut a small opening for an inexpensive window with a screen.

Looks like you have a little helper on the floor foundation.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-02-21, 11:15am
Safety ALWAYS

OH!!!!!

Yes, there are side wall vents available. Just make sure that you have 10 feet of separation between the inlet and outlet for the ventilation system.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-21, 11:24am
reaction junkie

ok, the building is 13 feet long and I think it will work out that make up and vent are going to be on opposite walls. So. Do I just hit home depot and find a wall vent? Does it have to be any particular size?

Bonnie, yes! I'm going to have to get him some little safety glasses - he'll be melting glass soon I think I've got the two french doors and two skylights already, I want wall space for tools and shelves and such, plus the "cute" windows I wanted were pricey so I chose double doors instead (also pricey, probably should have stuck with windows).

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-21, 11:30am
Dichro Addict

Pam,
That is going to be so great when it's done! The two doggies look veerrryy interested in what's going on as well as the little guy! How exciting for you!!

Old 2007-02-21, 11:37am
Safety ALWAYS

Yeah, see if you can get an 8" (50 square inches). If not, then go for two 6" (56 square inches total). 50 square inches will get you 350 CFM free flow. If you need more for your fan, you can add a 3rd 6". You can space them evenly across the opposite wall from the exhaust so they look like they are supposed to be there . To measure the 10 foot rule, do the measurements OUTSIDE - around the corner, over the roof, etc. As long as you have 10 feet separating the exhaust duct and the nearest fresh air duct, you will be fine.

Old 2007-02-21, 11:43am
reaction junkie

thanks Mike! Haha, someone who is figuring me out - how important it is that it "looks like it's supposed to be there". Contractor and hubby are having such a hard time with these little things! Thanks again!

My fan is 495 cfm so maybe I should get 3 6" ones.

Thanks Lenora - it IS very exciting (for all of us, even the dogs!)

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-21, 4:12pm
Spinning sand

Ugh, I'm SO stinking jealous....

I'm going to go throw up now....
Old 2007-02-27, 10:50am
reaction junkie

SO... I talked to my contractor about this... and he said no problem... and now I have all these little holes running along one side and three on each corner as well - you can see the three on the photo here - top left right under the roof framing. They have screens to keep the birds and rodents out but spiders will have no problem getting in... I'm really nervous about these holes. There are probably 18 or 20 of them total. And now I wonder how am I going to insulate and sheetrock the inside with these holes? And what is the point if I have these holes? And how do I keep the damp out? I don't think this is what I needed....

Ideas?

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-27, 11:00am
Safety ALWAYS

Uh, why did the contractor put those holes in the stiffeners?

If those are supposed to be your vent/fresh air holes, uh huh...... that's not going to work.

Have him knock out the stiffeners and replace them with solid boards like all the rest.

The vent/fresh air holes should be in the side walls of the studio so that proper vent covers can be installed.

If you go back to my post, I wrote that 3 evenly spaced 6" round duct holes should be cut in the *SIDE WALLS* of the studio.

Old 2007-02-27, 11:08am
reaction junkie

Mike, do you have a picture of what these vents/vent covers look like? I searched around the home improvement place and couldn't find them. And obviously I didn't get through to the contractor what I was talking about.

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-27, 11:36am
reaction junkie

oh never mind - I have a friend who installs furnaces who is picking up my fan for me at grainger - he said he knows exactly what I need and will pick them up too. Yay. Thanks Mike. Now to get those holes fixed. bummer.

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-27, 12:18pm
Safety ALWAYS

If the contractor won't replace the stiffeners, then get spray foam sealant from the hardware store and some duct tape. Tape the outside of the hole and then fill it about half way with the spray foam on the inside surface. The foam will expand and harden. Allow 24 hours then use a putty knife to peel away any foam that's expanded outside the hole boundary. Touch up with additional foam if necessary.

But the contractor should replace the boards if at all possible. What was he thinking???? (as in what part of "3 - 6" holes in the side wall" did he not understand LOL)

Old 2007-03-30, 3:40pm
reaction junkie

OK, so this morning as we are insulating the new studio... and getting ready to cut holes in the walls for my two 6 inch vents... I got the bright idea that I wanted to put my makeup air in the wall under my hood, run the duct down the wall, under the floor to the other side of the building. (I'd put it in my workbench but it's stainless and I don't want to cut a hole in it.

I picked up the venting necessary to do this - it's 10X3.25 inches. The fresh air will come from under my building (there's about 2-3 feet of crawlspace under there and it will have trellis around so plenty of airflow.

Is this big enough? Or should I run two of them?

thanks again!
Pam

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-30, 3:53pm
reaction junkie

perhaps this article answered my question: http://www.artglassforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2293

? 10X3.25 = 32 square inches x 2 = 64 square inches.... which is how many CFM? My fan is 485 cfm. So it looks like I need at least 2 of these?

Thanks,
Pam

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-03-30 at 4:01pm.
Old 2007-03-31, 7:55am
Safety ALWAYS

Two of them, by all means. And if they are going to be under the building, please be sure that you put 1" screen in the duct near the outside opening to prevent critters from making a nest in there.

Old 2007-03-31, 8:11am
reaction junkie

Thanks Mike

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-03-31 at 5:05pm.
Old 2007-03-31, 5:08pm
reaction junkie

OK, almost done!

We've been working hard all day on this. The hood will be centered between them. Under the studio, they run about 10 feet and have mesh to keep the rodents out.

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-31, 7:31pm
reaction junkie

and here is a picture looking under - it looks like it's about to blast off!

/
/
/