LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2008-07-12, 6:39pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
If it gets longer than my arms are wide I'm ready to hold the cold end with my feet so I can pull further! (Saw that done once on U-Tube and it made sense.)
I can just picture me trying that. It wouldn't be pretty! I'm thinking I would end up with burns in places I never imagined.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-13, 2:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscause View Post
I tried one with a periwinkle encased with a purple transparent (very pretty) but my rose was, well, interesting so I have just kept checking back for more posts and finally they are here! lol I just may have to try this tonight. I need a good bead making session because I just spent the last three days alone with my 2 yr old and a friends 2 yr old! I need a break! lol I will let you know how it goes after my bead cools! Thank yo ufor all your advise and we'll see if it pays off!
Oh you DO need a looooong torch session don't you! Good luck and thanks for the update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-13, 2:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
I can just picture me trying that. It wouldn't be pretty! I'm thinking I would end up with burns in places I never imagined.
Well, um...ok. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense now that I think about it THAT way. I wish I still had the U-Tube link. It looks much easier/safer than it sounds. And it did work for me. Meaning if I can do it, anyone can.

Old 2008-08-05, 8:55am

Well I've been practicing and am going to show my attempts. There is always something wrong with each bead I make, but here are a couple anyway.
Please show yours OK? Pretty please?
(Tips and suggestions are still and will forever be appreciated!!!

I had to crop that awfully close!

Last edited by ziggys; 2008-08-06 at 5:01pm.
Old 2008-08-05, 9:29am

And here are the others:

In the second one I had about 8 roses on there (and was so excited) before they started popping off. Kind of looks like I tried to glue them back on.

Old 2008-08-05, 9:38am

Edited to say the colors aren't accurate. They are way too saturated. So much for "auto adjust" in my software. Here is a more accurate representation:

Well shoot. The colors are really somewhere in between.
Anyway, I don't like to misrepresent stuff. Even when it doesn't really matter. Besides I am getting much needed practice on pictures. No kidding huh?

Angela

Old 2008-08-05, 10:56am
Lampwork Meditator

Ziggys I like your rose above! Very nice!

As for the photography, I found a thread here on LE that really helped me get my pictures better. I'll find the link and post it. It was such a simple method and my pictures are better.

Carlisle mini cc with concentrator
Old 2008-08-05, 10:57am
Lampwork Meditator

Here's the link. Hope it helps.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38931

Old 2008-08-06, 5:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiekline View Post
Thanks Susie, I did look at that one a long time ago and forgot to try it out! I tried Photoshop awhile back and just got so frustrated with it I gave up. Then I got IrfanView. It sure would be nice if I didn't have to switch to another program. (I'd rather be making beads than learning new software.) However maybe it just won't work with my camera. Hm... but it worked great for one bead pic I took. Confused!!!

So do you use Paint Shop or Paint Shop Pro, or just use the lighting and other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Old 2008-08-07, 5:25am

Have you tried this link for help?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/16432/483/

I am pretty bad at most of this stuff but this really helped .

I use PhotoShop 4 . I have heard that the most recent version is dummy proof...but that can alaways be challenged by ssomeone like me!

Oh yes, I don't do that squiggly thing ...mainly the ctrl L function does the trick. I also only use a plain white background. Nothing fancy.

Doesn't it drive you crazy how many of these places you try ? I must have a ton of my pix in a mess of files stored somewhere on my computer!

Old 2008-08-07, 8:07am
Lampwork Meditator

I use Photoshop Elements 6 and it worked very well on my pictures. I did them in my light tent on a white background so I just worked until I got my background white in the pictures.

Old 2008-08-08, 8:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne225 View Post
Have you tried this link for help?

Doesn't it drive you crazy how many of these places you try ? I must have a ton of my pix in a mess of files stored somewhere on my computer!
Hi Anne, I'm like you! There is no dummy prove photo-ware for me and I am actually pretty good with computers, believe it or not! LOL! I tried Picnic, Picasa, Photo-shop, (but the version is old and keeps hanging up on my 'puter), and now Irfan-view. I also read the entire tutorial by Scott about levels. It's a wonderful tutorial but my version of photo-shop doesn't have the same options/ controls and I can't find the right ones. I also have a mess of files stored all over my 'puter from trying out all these programs. I try not to think about it. LOL!

Angela

Last edited by ziggys; 2008-08-08 at 9:02am.
Old 2008-08-13, 3:00am
Who me?

So, do you guys apply your spiral rose....

starting at the center and spiral out"

or do you start at the edge and spiral to the center?
Old 2008-08-13, 8:28pm

I was inspired by this thread and decided to give it a try!

I think this is a technique that will find a permanent home in my repetoire.

These sold to the first person who saw them! (actually I swapped them for 4 strings of AA grade freshwater pearls)

Old 2008-08-14, 3:36pm
Lampwork Meditator

Those beads are absolutely gorgeous, one hot beader! I love love love them!!!

susie

Old 2008-08-15, 11:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
So, do you guys apply your spiral rose....

starting at the center and spiral out"

or do you start at the edge and spiral to the center?
Definately start at the center and work out. It's harder to "fit" the stringer in. And I scroll one way. It's easier one way rather than the other depending on which side of the flame you work.

Old 2008-08-15, 11:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
I was inspired by this thread and decided to give it a try!

I think this is a technique that will find a permanent home in my repetoire.

These sold to the first person who saw them! (actually I swapped them for 4 strings of AA grade freshwater pearls)

Those are so pretty! Very delicate. I was getting tired of the way mine were turning out so quit. Now I'm inspired to try it again. Thanks!

Old 2008-08-16, 3:59am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
Definately start at the center and work out. It's harder to "fit" the stringer in. And I scroll one way. It's easier one way rather than the other depending on which side of the flame you work.
thanks ziggy - that's what I do 'cause it's easier - was just wondering if it was the right way to do it - I also have an easier time going counter clock wise for some reason - on the right side of the flame.
Old 2008-08-16, 4:31am
Gone Fishing!

Ok.. you guys have inspired me... my goal for today is to "try" and make roses....

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2008-10-13, 6:04pm
Step away from the bubble

Hi there!! I love, love, LOVE making flowers, so much that I just cant stay away from them :0)

I always do my spiral flowers from the center and work my way out, winding as close together as I can without overlapping:

I use alot of different colors, basically I encase any color that I have :0) It's a great way to see what you like!

PS: When melting the flowers I use to panic because they made a huge blob and lost its shape, no worries, when it melts in you can still see the line!

Old 2008-10-16, 9:18pm

Pretty beads!

Old 2008-10-21, 1:21pm

There is a very cool tutorial in the Tonbo Dama book on making rose murrini. It is hard. I've tried it several times and only got it to work a couple of times but they are beautiful if you can get it to work. You basically make an encased opaque with rubino or any transparent you like and then mash it into a lollipop. Pull that out straight so you have flattened cane. Cut into pieces and try to make the pieces all the same size. The hard part is then heating the pieces on a warming plate or in the kiln and placing them on a flattened punty in a way that it makes a rose. You take the pieces and overlap one with the other in a circular direction and make the center. Then move outward and make another row around that center part of overlapping pieces again. Keep going until you have all of your pieces on the maria. this isn't easy because you have to keep it all warm but it also can't move around. once all of that is done, you heat it up and gently pull all of that out into a short, small sized rod. Cut the pieces from that when it has cooled. To apply it to the bead, heat the murrini chips on a warming plate and place them on the bead where you want them. Put a small dot of clear on the top of them and gently heat and mash the clear in a bit. This will open the flower up. It goes into much more detail in the Tonbo Dama book but it is very pretty. I love roses.

Old 2008-10-21, 1:27pm

I do this a lot because I often make them longer than my arms can go. I use a mandrel for my punties so I am sure it is never hot when I put it between my feet and then I just stand up and pull. You have to be quick getting it between your feet though or it will get too cool to keep pulling. This works though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post