Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-11-03, 9:18pm

Default Can I use a normal welding torch to make glass beads?

Hi everyone,
Maybe a silly question.....but can you use a normal welding torch with a small end to make glass beads. I use Moretti glass. Am currently on a Hot Head but need a second torch. I have a feeling that I can't use a welding torch but any input would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Shellie
Old 2009-11-03, 11:08pm

1) If your welding torch uses acetylene, then no. Acetylene is too dirty of a fuel to use for melting glass.

2) Most welding torches are pre-mix torches. This means that the gas and oxygen mix within the torch. Pre-mix torches are ok for working boro, but are not the best for working soft glass (like Moretti). For soft glass, a surface mix torch (where the gas and oxygen mix outside of the torch) is better.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-11-04, 7:22am
I fart diamonds

Many glassworkers use Victor and National welding torches with propane. Mostly for boro work but you can also do soft glass; the colors don't come out as nice and you have to be careful not to burn the crap out of the glass but it definitely can be done (and is done on a daily basis in many parts of the world.)

Old 2009-11-04, 9:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Most people who have tired including me have had very poor success and have abandon the idea .... About the only welding torch that is acceptable is the National A3 and its mostly uses in small/medium boro work, with PROPANE, not acetylene...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-11-04, 9:06am

I've been on a Mag-Torch for 5 months and this thing is a little workhorse. You can use it with propane/mapp pro. My HotHead fouled within the first month of use, and I threw it in the garbage. This Mag looks identical to the HotHead, I work on a 20# BBQ tank of propane most of the time and the color on my beads are beautiful. If anyone wants the model no. on this torch, just pm me. It's the best $13.95 I've ever spent, and NO, I don't work for the company, LOL
Old 2009-11-04, 9:31am
I speak Murrini!

Hey, if you're already on a Hot Head, and aren't quite ready to upgrade to a larger torch or are saving pennies, why not just get a second Hot Head? I have 3 and regularly use 2 during my murrini-pulling sessions. I have one at the bench and 1 at the ready to do a switch-out when the first one runs low. It only takes a few seconds and if you get your base gather/bead good and hot first, it should work. I've yet to have anything crack or blow...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro