Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-11-29, 7:33am
I'm cookin' with gas now!

Default What are the settings for my Propane tank & oxycon?

Anybody...just wanting to double check this...I have a BBQ propane tank and an Oxygen concentrator. For just normal everyday soft glass use...on my tank regulator where do I want the needle? and where should my oxycon needle be?
Thanks in advance! Vickie
ps I have search this question, but I am very easily confussed, and some of them go into all kinds of detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just happy to be here!
Old 2006-11-29, 8:19am
What, Me Worry?

What torch are you using?
Assumed minor.

What is the fuel regulator gage range?
Assumed 0-30 psig. Set 4 psig.

What is the rated oxycon output?
Assumed 5 LPM. Set 5 LPM when not attached to torch.

Me
Old 2006-11-29, 8:24am

ME- All assumptions are correct....thanks so much. Vickie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just happy to be here!
Old 2006-11-29, 8:26am
Safety ALWAYS

It is very dependant on your torch.

Here's what I would do:

Find the optimum setting for your torch on the oxygen side - because you are using a concentrator, this will be your limiting factor. A concentrator typically puts out about 92% pure oxygen at about 8-10 PSI. Let's assume worst case, 92% pure oxygen at 8 PSI, which is the equivalent of 7.36 PSI of pure oxygen.

Typically soft glass settings are 2 parts oxygen to 1 part propane, so set your propane to half the oxygen equivalent, or approximately 3.5 PSI.

A slightly lower LPM setting on your concentrator will give you a higher oxygen percentage, it depends on your concentrator manufacturer. Maybe Kbinkster will see this and chime in.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-29, 8:45am

Thanks Mike...I use a Minor and the numbers on my oxycon only go to 5, I keep it at 4.5. So my propane should be half that?

Just happy to be here!

Last edited by allstar; 2006-11-29 at 8:47am. Reason: to add
Old 2006-11-29, 8:58am
Safety ALWAYS

At 4.5, you are getting close to 96% pure oxygen, so .96 * 8 (PSI) = 7.68 / 2 = 3.84 (go with 3.75 to 4.0 PSI on your propane regulator).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-29, 11:26am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
...I use a Minor and the numbers on my oxycon only go to 5, I keep it at 4.5. So my propane should be half that?
The following is why I recommend setting the oxycon at the rated maximum flow (when not connected to torch).

If you set the oxycon at 5 LPM when it is not attached to the torch, then when it is attached to the torch the flow will be controlled by the torch's oxygen valve, from 0.0 LPM to the maximum of 5.0 LPM and everywhere in between, without ever touching the oxycon flow meter/valve again.

The maximum rated flow from the oxycon is 'available' but the actual flow from the oxycon is only what the torch oxygen valve allows through. At no time can the oxycon flow more than it's rated maximum, and most times it is flowing significantly less, e.g. 2 to 4 LPM.

Oxygen purity varies among oxycons and flow rates. Setting the oxycon below the rated LPM reduces the full capability of the oxycon -- lost/wasted potential. Sometimes that little extra 0.5 LPM (when set at 4.5 LPM), would be nice to have 'available'... even if it is lower oxygen purity -- nice to have some more, versus no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
...So my propane should be half that?
Don't go away thinking that propane psig is set at 1/2 the oxycon psig. It's not. The devil is in the details -- which you asked to avoid. It's just coincidental in this particular case. As Mike said... "It is very dependant on your torch".

Me
Old 2006-11-29, 12:31pm

Okay...it's clearer now. I do hate too many details, and don't avoid them as much as it takes me longer than the average bear to understand . I am just grateful beyond belief that people like you and Mike are willing to be so much for so many, thanks.
I read and reread all that was written and I get it, going to make those adjustments now.
You guys are the best
V

Just happy to be here!
Old 2006-11-29, 9:11pm
Dangerous Woman

You know I started using my oxycon and Lynx tonight for the first time and had the same questions. Thanks Me and Mike!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.

Last edited by playswithfire104; 2006-11-29 at 9:14pm.
Old 2006-11-30, 1:19am

I just got my oxycon last week and just started using my minor (up from a hothead) last week as well. Thanks to Me and Mike from me too. I had those same questions.

-Carol