Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-11-06, 10:18am
Pyromaniac

Default Great Idea for Soft diffused light

After looking at expensive light diffusers to use to photograph a larger piece which will not fit in my photo tent, I found this website. He uses plain white paper to diffuse light directly on his lights rather than using a photo tent.

I think I might try white fabric however to cover both my lights. Other ideas are milk cartons, the white ones, or any other transleuecent white material.

Do it yourself Soft Light

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-06, 10:47am
Fancy Mammal

Yes, those are great ideas. To my mind one of his best suggestions is cookie sheets - I'm thinking those newfangled plastic ones that look kind of like frosted glass, and they'll be nice because they're heat resistant too.

In general what works as a diffuser will vary on the brightness of your lights - the brighter the lights, the stronger the diffuser needs to be.
Old 2008-11-06, 4:47pm
Mary Lockwood

I use coffee filters taped to the edges of my cone lights.

Old 2008-11-06, 4:59pm
Mary Lockwood

See?

The flared sides keep the filter from touching the bulb and everything...but I wouldn't leave a set up like this unattended. These bulbs can get really hot.

~~Mary

edited to add: the white crinkly plastic shopping bags work great too.

Oh, and here is one of my typical pictures so you can decide if this would work for you or not.

Last edited by Moth; 2008-11-06 at 5:05pm.