Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-12-21, 7:54pm

Default Settings for the Canon Power Shot S3IS

I am having a hard time with my camera and was wondering if anyone could help me with the settings, my pictures need lots of help.
Thanks
Cathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R-118
Old 2007-12-25, 10:24pm

I have a PowerShot S1 IS and I used it to take pictures of various bead embroideries and now I'm trying to take pictures of my lampwork. The bead embroidery was easier because it had less glare. I need to get hold of a photo cube so I can get the glare off. I also need to figure out how to edit the pictures properly in Elements.

Anyway I found some really good directions for setting up your camera for jewelry here

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/docume...raphy_Tips.htm.

As I recall the first important thing was the pinpoint focus instead of the broad focus you would use to take pictures of people. I put my camera on the P setting and then used the spot focus "(.)" button to get a pinpoint focus. Turn off your flash and get lots of bright lights around the object. Get a tripod too. The next important thing was to set the lighting appropriately. Since I was using flourescent lighting I couldn't get anything close to true colors until I told the camera to use flourescent lighting. The next big thing was to play with the exposure levels. I am finding the exposure level depends alot on the background color. Black needs an exposure of +1 or more and white is more like +2/3.

I don't think I messed with any of the other camera settings.

My pictures are by no means perfect though. I have to figure out the levels settings on the pictures and how to get rid of the glare and the uneven shadows but I think something like a light box will help with that.

jgraff
Old 2007-12-26, 9:58am

Hi Cathie
I received an S5 for xmas so will be experimenting with settings myself.
I am so excited about this camera. It has been at least four years since
I had a new one. One thing I am making myself do is read the manual. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-26, 11:37am

Thanks, I have been experimenting with the settings. I will try the ones you suggested.

R-118
Old 2007-12-29, 12:24pm
Virginia Beach, VA

for glass we use the s3 and we take all of our pictures outside .. we set the camera on p mode, i make sure super macro is set.. my white balance is set to cloudy, my colors are set to vivid and i also have my iso at 80. we shoot boro so this setting makes the beads perfect!
i also use the program mode for regular shots of the family and kids.. it works perfect. the lower iso reduces chance for pixeling.
my wife does alot of scrapbooking and so she needs her pictures to be perfect. and also for glass as well.

Old 2007-12-29, 6:24pm

Hey Jeff dumb question, what is the iso? my pictures are pixeling

R-118
Old 2007-12-29, 6:46pm
Virginia Beach, VA

if you are taking pictures on auto, look beside the viewfinder and you will see ISO BUTTON, MAKE SURE IT STAYS ON ISO AUTO.. I know when we first got the camera it was automatically on iso high. you don't want that because you will get pixeling pictures..

ISO is the number indicating a digital camera sensors sensitivity to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light is needed to make an exposure.

that's why i was saying use the p mode and have your iso to 80 or 100. you will have no pixeling at all.

Old 2007-12-29, 7:09pm

thanks so much

R-118
Old 2007-12-30, 7:31am

Hi Cathie, I have the same camera and love mine. However when I first got mine I did not like the auto setting but found this on line and it has made a huge difference in my photos. Before if the light was a little low the photos would turn out a grainy. I changed the settings and it has made a huge difference.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23655623

Etsy

My Flickr

Old 2007-12-30, 8:11am

thanks, I should have much better pictures in no time now

R-118
Old 2009-09-19, 8:50pm

I know this thread is old, but I just bumped it!
I was just wondering how you set the large, superfine setting on this camera?
Old 2011-02-08, 10:24pm
Redbearmountain

Hello, I just found this post as well tonight and I was wondering the same thing how you set the large, superfine setting on this camera? I just read the link in the above post and followed it to the letter but couldn't find the last setting. Wow!!!!! Your pictures turn out awesome if you follow this guys advice! Glad I found this post.

Old 2011-02-08, 10:31pm
Redbearmountain

Does any one else with this camera have advice for taking awesome pictures or having other settings they have tried?