Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-08-19, 11:34am
Corgi Cult Member

Default CS5 vs CS3 - Much difference?

I'm considering taking Photoshop classes at our community college this fall. I have CS3 on my computer and they offer classes in the newer CS5. Are the two versions close enough that it would be beneficial for me to take the classes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-19, 12:26pm
da General

The basics are pretty much the same, Kathy. CS5 offers some advance features that are really cool but it will be quite apparent what they are when you can't find them on your version! lol!

Also, if memory serves (it has been a while since I used CS3), some of the tools have been moved on the Tools palette so you will have to go digging around.

Have fun! PM me if you have any questions . . . I have been using Photoshop since its inception.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-19, 1:31pm
Angie09

Absolutely .... there is nothing in 5 that can't be done in 3. As a matter of fact, I have both on my computer cuz I'm not thrilled with how slow 5 is. (Every version seems to get slower and slower as they add more and more stuff.) CS3 is great ... stay with what you have and just adapt. AS Hayley said, some of the tools are in different places but nothing huge that would throw you off. Good luck ... there's alot of wonderful stuff you can do in PS.
Old 2011-08-19, 1:38pm
da General

Angie, Will it help to get more RAMs for your computer? My SE5 runs as fast as SE3 if not faster but I do have a MacPro.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-19, 9:21pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks Hayley and Angie! Sounds like the class will work since they are pretty close. I'm looking forward to learning how to use the program more efficiently.

Old 2011-08-20, 12:19am
Unmedicated since '62

Um, I think there's lots of difference

Is the class specificall asking for cs5?

If it's just teaching the basics then it might not matter

I actually have 5.5 and there are lots more bells and whistles, also some of the files might not be compatible

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-20, 1:25am
Alaska Boro

Find that CS 4 runs very well with a Intel Quad core i5-2300.

One can also Google CS 5.5 vs CS 3 and see what others have to say. And keep in mind the "Standard Adobe policy has usually been upgrade eligibility for the past three versions". If beyond, upgrade is not available and a new full priced version must be purchased.

Last edited by Alaska; 2011-08-20 at 1:31am.
Old 2011-08-20, 5:34am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
also some of the files might not be compatible
Adobe has really goofed I think this time ... you cannot save a CS5 file as CS3. You can only save it as 4 which causes a great deal of problems in my life. (If any one know how to save a 5 down to a 3 without the use of 4 ... please let me know). So yes, you can go up ... use a CS3 file in 5 but the other way around. So any files you create in class, you won't be able to use at home with your 3 version.
Old 2011-08-20, 7:01am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Adobe has really goofed I think this time ... you cannot save a CS5 file as CS3. You can only save it as 4 which causes a great deal of problems in my life. (If any one know how to save a 5 down to a 3 without the use of 4 ... please let me know). So yes, you can go up ... use a CS3 file in 5 but the other way around. So any files you create in class, you won't be able to use at home with your 3 version.
Ah yes, now I remember I read that on one of the adobe forums

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-20, 11:45am
da General

You have to save CS5 to CS4, then open the files in CS4 to CS3. That's the Adobe standard now.

You can upgrade up to three versions behind (paying more for the upgrade the older the version).

It sounds to me that Kathy is taking a basic Photoshop class so I think she will be fine with learning CS5 and using CS3 at home. It would be great homework for her to regenerate the class assignments that were done in CS5 in CS3 on her own!

|
|
|
|