LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-09, 10:53am
I <3 My Attitude Problem

Default need a tut on how to get xtra long beads off the *#$%&@! mandrel!!!

So I've been making superlong beads in an effort to start a game to see who can make the longest bead, and I"m getting pretty good here. I'm constantly inspired by trey's length (insert your own off-color joke here) and stringer control, and am the extremely proud owner of a margaret zinser bead that has to be over 5 inches- so I've made a bead longer than that, a hair under 6 inches, actually I've made a few, but when I do, I can never seem to get the things off the mandrels without cracking them or wanting to crack them... anyone with helpful "get the %&*#@$% of the mandrel!!" tips??

Huge hugs and thanks in advance!!
-Sarah
Old 2007-09-09, 11:19am
Crazy tool making guy....

If you can get it to move *at all*, immediately put it back under water, and wiggle back and forth... slowly flush the bead release out and let the water loosen the bead release at the center of the bead.

Of course, the hard part is getting the bead to move at all in the beginning. What bead release are you using? I've found the Foster Fire bead releases to come off easiest on my curved mandrels.

-Jeff
Old 2007-09-09, 11:48am
Trying to Hope!

I too think Foster fire smooth and tough works the best

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-09-09, 12:23pm
Super Duper

Leave it in water for a week or two.
Old 2007-09-09, 12:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

two tips:

1) Put a sheet of Bounce in your water and let it soak overnight.

2) Gently tap the rod vertically on some concrete. I do this with tough beads. It vibrates the release loose and helps the bead move down the mandrel. ah, the power of gravity! Once it starts moving, you can soak it in water and tap again. Eventually,it will come off.

Old 2007-09-09, 1:32pm
burnin' glass just becuz

ditto... add some fabric softener (i use liquid) to yr soaking water and let it completely saturate yr bead release. just discovered that a couple weeks ago myself and it makes such a difference. the beads now just slide right off no matter how long and hard i've worked them in the flame no DH, vise, pliers, gloves, etc. needed.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-09-09, 5:55pm

If all else fails throw bead mandrel and all in the freezer overnight and then in the morning try removing the bead. The cold temp. should cause the metal to shrink enough to get your bead off. I've had to do this with a couple of long beads myself.
Old 2007-09-10, 3:59am
Spectrum rulz

Default long beads

Sarah, You will probably find that if they are cracking as soon as you start to take them off that they have probably become the victim of thermal shock. Its hard to keep a bead that 6inches long hot enough not to crack. It mighnt look cracked but if it cracks the minute you try to loosen it it probably already was cracked. Another reason can be is if your release has cracked and the hot glass has gone onto the mandrel nothing short of breaking it will get it off. A solution I have tried with getting longer beads off is dipping your mandrel twice so it has a bit more buffer of release, I do this 2 days apart and let them dry overnight between dipping. If you soak it overnight that will make the release soft and if you hold your mandrel with a pair of vice grips it should come off easily. I had a bead that just about everybody in the world had had a go at and I had done the freezer acid you name it I tried it. My dad picked it up one day and just twisted and off it came.
Old 2007-09-12, 8:37pm
Adrian

I soak my long beads in a freshly opened can of Coke! It works great, takes about 1/2 hour. You can drink the rest of the can and eat chips while you wait!
Old 2007-09-12, 9:51pm
Glass-aholic

vise grips and a plastic jar grippy opener... I have never needed more than that...and a long soak. I'll probably jinx myself now for saying that!!! lol and then ill NEED theese tips!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-09-15, 1:19am
I <3 My Attitude Problem

AWESOME tips, guys, thanks so much!! Yes I'm entirely familliar with the difficulty of keeping a 6 inch bead warm And I've had my bead release give in the middle of a bead and had the whole thing stick to the mandrel. the one I had so much trouble with was all good (btw, i always double dip for these, and i'm using super blue sludge, but just ordered ff's smooth n tuff) Great ideas with the fabric softner and freezer.. i've soaked em for a couple weeks, have rubber coated gloves, vice grips, dh (dboyfriend, really) and a variety of colorful language at my discretion but still i have 4 now (of maybe 15 total) that absolutely will not budge whatsoever!! My really nice one i finally DID crack, bent the mandrel trying to twist it and chipped the end off:'( oh well, that's shy I own more glass Gotta give all these tips a try, will report back!
-Sarah
Old 2007-09-15, 5:44am

I have a mandrel-sized hole drilled in the rail of my deck. I slide the mandrel through so the bead is sitting on the wood and gently tap the exposed mandrel end until it comes loose--then I can twist it off.
Old 2007-09-15, 6:00am

yes... tried it all, but the coke... the buggers just resist unfairly!! especially hard are the very slim ones, you just can't grap them enough... and I bend tons of mandrels!! I guess the cheapest thing is to swallow your anger and take a vitamin pill while you crack them in the fire-/waterhell to save the mandrels at least!!

so thanks, and keep posting more tips, while I'll go buy that coke for a test!
fabienne
Old 2007-09-17, 12:21pm

Robin, I thought you were going to say that you had mandrel sized holes drilled into your deck so you could display the ones that were stuck!!
Old 2007-09-17, 12:55pm
Queen Bead

Oh Can We See the Long Bead???
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You." ~ Jim Willis
Old 2007-09-17, 2:22pm

When I soak my mandrels in h20, my beads rust around the edges, why?

"This morning I visited the place where the street cleaners dump the rubbish. My God, it was beautiful." Vincent Van Gogh
Old 2007-09-17, 2:40pm
Sheila

I had some stuck beads and tried Amber's "tapping" method, and it works. I bounce them on the garage floor like a pogo stick, and eventually they come off. I've started loosening all my beads like this, and I haven't bent a mandrel in a long time.

Old 2007-09-17, 5:38pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlienne View Post
yes... tried it all, but the coke... the buggers just resist unfairly!! especially hard are the very slim ones, you just can't grap them enough... and I bend tons of mandrels!! I guess the cheapest thing is to swallow your anger and take a vitamin pill while you crack them in the fire-/waterhell to save the mandrels at least!!

so thanks, and keep posting more tips, while I'll go buy that coke for a test!
fabienne
how long are you soaking the beads for? i make sure the beads are completely immersed and then soak overnite. in my case, even the beads that had been previously (i thought permanently) stuck from that crappy Flameworks bead release that came with my hothead kit came off with a slight twist.

oh and i probably added like 1 part fabric softener to 4 parts water...

Old 2007-09-17, 5:42pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybeadsneedlove View Post
When I soak my mandrels in h20, my beads rust around the edges, why?

if it's yr mandrels that are rusting you may need to re-season them (kinda like seasoning a cast iron fry pan). whenever mine start to rust i scrub them with a green scouring pad, then throw the stack on a burner on the stove (mine is electric), heat them all to red hot and then leave to cool. once they're seasoned i've left them soaking for weeks and no rust.

Old 2007-09-22, 7:19am
Happiness is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
if it's yr mandrels that are rusting you may need to re-season them (kinda like seasoning a cast iron fry pan). whenever mine start to rust i scrub them with a green scouring pad, then throw the stack on a burner on the stove (mine is electric), heat them all to red hot and then leave to cool. once they're seasoned i've left them soaking for weeks and no rust.

Oh wow, can you tell I'm a noob? could you do this say in a gas oven? or in your kiln? I'm not allowed to use my stove for glass related stuff at all. (self imposed, it;s only 2-3-4 years old and has a glass top) but I'd be willing to do this at the house in Troy. It has a gas stove and oven, obviously.
Thanks for any replies.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-09-22, 7:20am
Happiness is....

oops, sorry to hijack this thread.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-09-22, 7:32am

I use Super Blue only for huge beads on a 3/32 mandrel which is what I make most of. If I use it with a 1/16 mandrel and small beads, I have a hellava time getting the beads off. Even the huge beads are not a walk in the park. I would change your bead release in addition to the other removal ideas.

Old 2007-09-22, 8:38am

I had a big boo-boo from trying to get a bead off that was wrapped with wire. I had the middle of the mandrel held with vice grips and the bead in my hand and ouch the wire ripped into my hand. Blood everywhere and parts of the wire pulled off so the bead looked like cr*p afterwards. I will have to try some of these tips.
Old 2007-09-26, 8:02am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Sheila - I'm glad it works for you. I do that with all my beads, too! Makes quick work of the pile since I'm also using FosterFire. Just tap tap tap and they start to come off. Easy breezy!

Stacie - Now that is not melting in your wire. Sorry you were cut! For the most part, if the wire is not flush to the glass or close to flush, it can be picked off, pulled off, etc since silver is inherently incompatible with glass. Try using 30G wire and heating the entire bead to even heat after the wire is applied, rotate slowly and let it melt into the surface more. That should help.

Old 2007-09-26, 8:42am
Trying to Hope!

I completely stand by Foster Fire smooth and thought I frequently make 3 inch beads that dont even require tapping or pliers just soal in water 10 minutes twist and remove I love that stuff

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-10-06, 11:58am
I <3 My Attitude Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenf View Post
Oh Can We See the Long Bead???
oops, totally didn't see this post! I"ll take pics of it, i'm so bummed i think i'm gonna superglue some of the broken parts back on and just keep it on my bench ssshhh!!! I was just so happy with it... Ill take some pictures later, it's my b/f's 21st birthday and he's whining at me to go do something to get out of the house.... as if it's his 3rd birthday..... ugh. boymen. manboys. whatever.
-Sarah
Old 2007-10-06, 2:01pm

Wow some great tips here! I'm going to try the fabric softner. On long beads I do use vice grips and I've tried the freezer thing - Still on the mandrel! Sometimes I hold it vertically and take a rubber mallet to the top of the mandrel - a few quick taps tends to loosen most beads. Except for 2 beauties that are still on the mandrel!

Old 2007-10-09, 3:45pm

i also use the inner tube of a ten speed bike to grip the bead, that works pretty good. and when they are stuck i wrap the inner tube around the bead so the it is really thick and i tap on the mandrel end with my pliers to get it moving... it has worked on most of them. i almost always soak them for awhile first. and i have found that i really like fusion bead realse, it holds up pretty good and comes off not to bad...