Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-05-21, 4:13pm
Bead Obsessed

Default Gradient Photo background

My photo cube came with two gradient backgrounds; one white to grey and the other white to blue. They are dirty and need to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get these to fit my photo cube? I've found places that have them but they are huge, like room sized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-21, 8:11pm
Covered in glitter

Oh, let me look. There's a website where you can print them out on 8x11 inch paper and they come out really nicely. I'll see if I can find it again.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-05-23, 6:37pm

http://setshop.com/index.php?cPath=4...2c193d65d5ed02 gradient background papers, various sizes and colors. I use this one for most purposes 23152 #9 Varitone Small ... it shades from black to white. Another nice one shades from mid gray to white.

My local camera store sells the small Varitone papers in a couple of colors. About $10 for a sheet that I usually cut in half to fit in my smaller set-ups. It is easily marked... especially if you move metal around on it. I have tried putting it under non-glare glass but don't like the double shadows. I have put a frosted acetate over it... a bit better, but still like it best on its own.

I haven't tried printing my own. Lately I have simply photographed my bead sets on white paper. Lots of examples can be seen on my site.

Old 2008-05-24, 4:02am
Nature Coast

Carol, I admire your photography skills, they are amazing!

Old 2008-05-25, 8:45am
Bead Obsessed

Thanks Carol! This place is more reasonable. Shipping's a little high but it doesn't change much when you order more than one. And...it says these are vinyl so they should last longer.

Old 2008-05-25, 8:52am
Bead Obsessed

Default Cameras

Carol, I visited your website, that's a great photo tour that you have. I just bought a Canon EOS - Rebel XSI and I am debating about what Macro lens to purchase. I see that you are using a 50mm. That and the 100mm f/2.8 were the ones I'm looking at. If you had a chance to do it over again, which would you choose? and why? thanks!

Old 2008-05-25, 12:05pm

Limelight, Thank you. Carol

SELSEY re: Varitone and macro lens choices

I know the larger Veritones are vinyl, but my small ones are paper. The vinyl also marks easily. Some say you can clean them up with a Scotchbrite pad and water, but I haven't had much luck with that. Thank goodness for Photoshop tools for cleaning.

If I had it to do over, I would experiment a bit more with the 60mm macro. I took that lens home first and decided that it didn't work for the way I photograph. I should have played with it a bit more before coming to that decision. One thing about the 60mm macro is that it is an EF-S lens... meaning it won't work on the next level of Canon camera that is on my wish list, whereas the 50mm macro will. I recently bought a life size converter for it (special one made for this lens) and am happy with how I can fill the frame with a small ring.

I like to have the camera close enough to the object being photographed that I can reach out and move it while looking through the lens. Since I use hot lights (not flash), I also can hold a reflector to bounce light and I can see what is happening before shooting with a time release. Not sure I could do that with a longer lens. In the studio tour photos, note how the lens pokes through the front curtain which hangs across the front of the set-up. If I were to use soft-boxes instead of a tent/box things might change.... but then I would need a MUCH larger photo studio.

It is my understanding that the 100mm macro allows you to be some distance from the object (for instance a bee!). I have at least two more lenses, plus the next level of camera, on my wish list .... I might look at the 100mm macro as well, so let me know if you buy it and if you like it.

Mike Jordon (a contributor on this forum) knows much more about the various Canon lenses than I do. You might ask him for input before you buy.

The "photo tour" is a work in progress. Check back later to see the additions. And please keep us posted on your progress with your own photos.

Carol

Old 2008-05-25, 1:44pm

Thanks Carol. I do use a number of Canon lenses for various reasons. I don't have a macro lens though. What I use is the Kenko extension tubes with my lenses. A couple of very strong pluses for the tubes is that they were cheaper than the Canon tubes and Macro lenses, they can be used on any lens, there are 3 tubes of various sizes so you get close enough to see the peach fuzz on a knats behind or be able to bring a long zoom lens in to focus within a foot vrs. 15 feet. They don't have any glass in them, so they don't degrade the image either. On the minus side, you do have to put them on when you want to use them and take them off if you want to use your lens as a normal lens. The only time I use them though is when I'm specifically doing close up work, so that's not been a real problem with me.

The lens I use the most for close up work without the tubes is my 24-70 2.8L lens. It also does a very good job with the smallest tube between 50mm and 70mm range. Any closer than that and you have the front element practically touching the object. If I need to fill the frame more, I'll switch to my 85 1.8 or even my 70-200 2.8L and use a longer tube or combine a couple of them to really be able to zoom in from a good working distance. I've even used my tubes with the 100-400 4.5/5.6L lens to turn it into a portrait lens. The compression that the longer lengths give combined with being able to focus close works real well together.

Other than the 85mm 1.8 prime, all of my other lenses are Canon "L" lenses. You can't beat them for crisp, sharp images with excellent contrast and color resolution.

Macro lenses are very good, but you are limited to what that one lens can do. Which in the case of taking pictures of small glass objects might be just fine in most cases. I like the flexibility of different lenses because of the stuff I shoot. Although there are some good 3rd party lenses not all of the 3rd party lens makers are consistant for quality. That's why I stick with either prime lenses or "L" lenses. Canon has a few dogs too, but the majority are consistant with their quality.

Mike
Old 2008-05-25, 3:47pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for chiming in. I knew you would have the answer... though it might not be what someone on a tight budget would want to hear. If I owned no lenses, I think I would follow your lead on this with the 24-70mm plus an extension tube as I am now convinced that the "L" series lenses are worth the investment. Too bad I didn't have your input when I started down the Canon road.

I've added the Kenko extension tube set to my wish list for when I make the switch. I might be looking to sell my two Canon lenses, including the special extension tube for the 50mm macro, when this happens. Wonder if there is a market for them.

Still hoping to see photos of the glass you bought.

Carol

Old 2008-05-25, 9:28pm

I did the same thing, Carol, started down the cheap path on lenses in the beginning. It wasn't too bad until my cameras started getting better than the lenses. And once I got my first "L" lens, the 70-200 4.0L, it's hard to consider anything else.

On shooting the glass... I have it laid out and have come up with several ideas of how I want to display them and something comes up so I don't even make it into the living room where I have my stuff. I've not even been able to do any glass fusing in several weeks for the same reason. I think I need a vacation.

Mike
Old 2008-05-26, 12:02pm
Bead Obsessed

Thanks Mike & Carol,

Great information! I hadn't really thought about using the camera for anything other than glass close ups but now that you mention it I should take that into consideration. I have several other compact digital cameras that I really love; a canon powershot S2 IS and a Casio 10.1 exilim. They are great for traveling but I'm sure once I start playing with the rebel I will want to take it everywhere.

You both talk about the L lenses...can they be used with the Rebel? I thought only the EFS lenses were able to be used with the Rebel.

Old 2008-05-26, 10:39pm

As far as I know, only the Rebel XSi can take both EF and the EFS lenses. The other two digital Rebels (the XT and XTi) only take the EF lenses. So yes, the "L" lenses can fit on the Rebel. The EFS lenses only fit on a few cameras as far as I know.

Another thing to keep in mind with lenses... As long as you keep the same mount, good lenses will stay with you for many changes in camera bodies. I've had several of my "L" lenses through a number of body upgrades. My first 70-200 4.0L I got when I used my EOS 3 and then D30. I've since gone through a 10D and am using the 1DMKII and I kept those lenses plus gotten more along the way. The 70-200 4.0L is an excellent lens that is very sharp, light and less expensive if you can get by with a slower lens. I kept it even when I upgraded to the 2.8L IS version of it because sometimes the lighter lens is better to use on a sunny day or with studio lights than the big heavy 2.8 version.

Mike
Old 2008-05-27, 9:22am
Have Laptop Will Travel

Two possible solutions for gradients. First theres Tabletop http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/clacri.html depending on the size you need they are not bad. Or you could just make your own gradient and then have staples print it out in the size you need. I usually do that using their online setup http://www.staplescopycenter.com/ASP1/storefront.aspx. That usually cost me about 3 dollars per 12X18 inch size.

Act as though the principles by which you live by, will one day; become a universal law of nature...