No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-16, 9:20pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Question kiln rack question

ok so I have an aim 84d I use two triangle shaped kiln furniture posts to rest my mandrels on but that is such a small area and in no time its full when I'm making "large" beads, which is not really large for me but any hoo,
can anyone recomend something else to use that would hold more? something with layers? perhaps something I could make at home too?

I was thinking I have some left over fencing from our rabbit cage, its small 1/2 inch squares and perhaps I could cut a piece to fit and make a tent like shape?
but then I'm not sure if the metal would hold up.......

any suggestions? what do you use?
thanks in advance!!
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-16, 9:50pm

I dont know if what I do is correct but I use a mandrel rest and I have a small guy kiln. Once I have used up the space, I pile the mandrel/beads into a corner on one side of the kiln. Thats what they did in the class I took and I have continued
Old 2012-07-16, 10:11pm
Alaska Boro

There has been a number of suggestions in other threads.

Stainless is a good way to go. Your suggestion of using a fencing material could work depending on what it is made of. Most likely steel that is galvanized.

When heated the zinc would melt, which is bad for your health and may contaminate the inside of your kiln.
Old 2012-07-17, 12:07am
Melody of Glass

I put my fresh beads on my rack on the left of the kiln. When the next bead is done, it gets piled on other beads on the right side of the rack and the new one sits alone on the left and so on. I've never has an issue with marking or sticking and can't imagine making enough in a session where I'd run out of room. I have a Paragon Caldera with the bead collar.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-07-17, 12:18am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Look for something called stainless steel perforated metal sheet or stainless steel expanded sheet. Cut the piece to snuggly fit the width/height of your kiln and wedge it in there about a half an inch from the back.

To use it, pop your mandrel with the bead on it into one of the holes and then put the next one in the next hole over, etc.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-07-17, 12:24am
Cave Dweller

Maybe something like this would work for you.

Devardi is probably the cheapest place to get them.

kiln racks at Devardi
(have to scroll down to approx mid page)

They say they will cut custom sizes as well.

Old 2012-07-17, 3:49am
Run Free Sweet Boy

devardi glass has some inexpensive stainless steel hardware cloth. Its 1/4 inch squares that makes excellent bead racks. They have some that already folded for you, or you can buy a sheet of it and bend it to your specifications. I have a big kiln, so thats what i did. I can fit over 100 beads in one session, if I could work that long.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-07-17, 6:01am

Perforated steel, if you can get your hands on some.

Just use a hack saw to cut a couple grooves into your firebrick and slide a piece right in.

Candy

Old 2012-07-17, 7:01am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Everyone! I knew there would be some good ideas!
I used to pile my beads up, specially my tiny spacers but then I kept reading that others NEVER let their beads touch....figure it would be just my luck one day to have a bunch stuck together or all marked LOL

Thank you, going to ds about these, he works in a shop that might have the steel and if I can't find it now I know to go to divardi and look.
Thank you all!!
Sue

Old 2012-07-18, 11:13am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

One thing I'd like to warn about. Good stainless is the only metal I would suggest for inside the kiln. Lately, with the price of stainless going through the roof, I am suggesting ceramic kiln furniture. Reason being, I am not seeing suppliers raise the price on the stainless steel parts even with the huge spike in the base cost of the metal. Either there is a large old stock on hand, the quality of the metal is being down graded, or they are eating the difference in price.

Even plain carbon steel can cause atmospheric issues inside the heated chamber that will adhere to the bricks and element. The colors of your glass can be adversely affected. If the contamination is great enough, it can shorten the life of your elements. It can be a maddening problem to diagnose.

Be sure you are getting a good quality metal, or avoid metal all together.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Tags
aim 84d, kiln rack