LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-04, 6:59pm

Default Arm rest - is this one any good?

Wonderful partner wants to buy this arm rest for me for my birthday - do you think it is any good? It is on the front page of affordables website

http://www.affordableinspiration.com.au/

I am using a mini cc

thanks in anticipation
lucy
Old 2013-09-04, 7:10pm
Wyoming Silvers

I am looking for one also... Was looking at this one like this online..I think it was called a butterfly station??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-09-05, 4:03am

Hi Lucy, I'm pretty sure it's the arrow springs model, see this thread

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=173966
Old 2013-09-05, 4:55am

Thank you Fiona - thats really helpful
I love that this forum can answer just about every question!
cheers
lucy
Old 2013-09-05, 5:03am

I have something different - a 'creation station' and find that I hardly use the wrist parts, but that the elbow support it provides is really useful. I think it's useful to analyse whether you need elbow or wrist support and which of these devices provides what you need.
Old 2013-09-05, 4:43pm

I have the Arrow Springs style arm rest and love it. I had debated between that model and the Creation Station. The Arrow Springs arm rest appeared to be more sturdy and offer more support. It does need some experimentation to adjust the arm rests to the height and angle you prefer. The Creation Station seemed faster/easier to make adjustments. The center marver on the Arrow Springs model is a nice touch.
Old 2013-09-05, 5:41pm
Dynamic Duo

It is the Arrow Springs model. We have two of them and just love them. Just make sure that you get a model that is made for your torch (height adjustment - they have one or two models)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-05, 5:45pm

I had this station, my Bravo just fit under the top, to the point where it would get warm. I think a smaller touch would work well, it was comfortable!
I sold it a few months back.

Old 2013-09-06, 6:30am

Arm rests baffle me. If you aren't able to rest your elbows on your working table, raise your torch up, mount it on something. Elbow pads, I understand. Arm rests seems like a waste of money.

Old 2013-09-06, 6:32am
Loving learning

They help me keep my wrists in a good position so I don't get pain. I have the Arrow Springs one, and once I got it adjusted to me (took me some experimenting) I love it. It helps me stay steadier too.
Old 2013-09-06, 8:17am

I stand most of the time, can't reach the bench with my elbows...
There are many ways to boil water...

Old 2013-09-06, 8:36am
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgoodies View Post
Arm rests baffle me. If you aren't able to rest your elbows on your working table, raise your torch up, mount it on something. Elbow pads, I understand. Arm rests seems like a waste of money.
I have to respectfully disagree. Resting your elbows on the table will likely eventually lead to nerve damage. It also forces you to curve your wrists when torching. It's better ergonomics to rest your forearms so that your wrists are in a neutral position.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-09-06, 1:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Resting your elbows on the table will likely eventually lead to nerve damage. It also forces you to curve your wrists when torching. It's better ergonomics to rest your forearms so that your wrists are in a neutral position.
If your torch is high enough, your wrists are straight. I've been torching for 10+ years, no nerve damage yet or any pain whatsoever. I didn't make my comment to offend any one. Many people simply don't realize that raising their torch would render armrests unnecessary.

Last edited by beadgoodies; 2013-09-06 at 1:33pm.
Old 2013-09-06, 1:32pm
I'm meeeeelting

I have nerve issues with my elbows from a combination of torching and resting on them while on the computer, so I think resting on the elbows a lot is a bad idea. I do know people that sit low enough that they can rest their forearms on the edge of the table. I can't visualize how raising the torch would keep the wrists straight. I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-09-06, 4:45pm

Okay, I took pictures. I live alone so I had to use a tripod/timer. It's the best I could do.

Torch at table level:

Torch raised 1.5 inches:

I have an identical twin sister who also lampworks. She has a smaller torch than me and has to raise hers up by 2.5 inches.

It's a simple thing, but it makes a huge difference in body position. I'm a short person at 5'0". So, all my life I've had to deal with furniture that doesn't fit me. I did this automatically when I got my torch. Raising it up solved all my issues. It's like using a stool to ensure your feet are flat and your back stays straight. Raise your torch up to straighten your wrists out.

Candy

Last edited by beadgoodies; 2013-09-06 at 5:38pm.
Old 2013-09-06, 4:49pm

Old 2013-09-06, 5:07pm
Loving learning

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd like the flame so I couldn't look down at it, but I could try it.
Thank you for posting photos.

I notice your elbows are on something soft, so that's probably the difference on those who have elbow issues from putting their elbows on the table, is it it foam?
Old 2013-09-06, 5:21pm

I can look down at the flame, no problem. All I need to do is lean forward.

Yeah, my elbow pads are foam. My sister bought one of those expensive oddly shaped foam pillows. She hated it, so she cut it up into 4 chunks and gave me 2 (she uses the other 2). I've had them for about 7 years now. GREAT stuff! Cheap foam works too. You'll need a couple chunks under each elbow and you'll need to replace much more often.

Candy

Old 2013-09-07, 10:00am

Claudia, in France also raises her torch up quite high.
Old 2013-09-07, 11:53am
I'm meeeeelting

I don't like to sit that low compared to the torch, but I know several people that do. I have a barracuda and if I don't have some height I can't see the front of the torch. It's probably at least in part, because I don't like that much angle to my torch. I can see the improvement re straight wrists with it raised, but do they stay straight if you're working closer to the torch head?

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2013-09-07, 1:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I don't like to sit that low compared to the torch, but I know several people that do. I have a barracuda and if I don't have some height I can't see the front of the torch. It's probably at least in part, because I don't like that much angle to my torch. I can see the improvement re straight wrists with it raised, but do they stay straight if you're working closer to the torch head?
You'll need to fiddle around with different heights and angle tilt. You'll know when you've got it right. I like to look at what I'm doing straight ahead. If I wanted to look down on my piece as I made it, I would need to raise the torch more and decrease its angle to more straight. That arrangement sounds strange to me, but if that's what you like, it can be done.

Old 2013-09-07, 7:12pm

i started on a hothead which kept my arms straight 'cause the flame was so high, when I switched to the cricket i had a lot of problems with arm and neck pain, i raised my torch platform 7.5cm (3") and have no problems now (pic shows the mini cc as I switch between them).