Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-10-07, 8:40am

Default What holds the beads in a kiln?

Hi, due to the wonderful site I am now the proud owner of a piggyback annealer for my hot box kiln!

Question: Do I put a rod rest or ???? inside the kiln, on the floor, to hold beads on the mandrels? I can't seem to find what I need online anywhere.
Old 2010-10-07, 8:54am
Gentleman of Leisure

Many things...... Some use rod rests, some just lay beads and mandrels on floor..

I batch anneal so I usually remove beads from mandrels and clean them and when I anneal I place them on some "short" mandrels supported by "kiln furniture" (makes a rack)... Also if batch annealing you can just scatter them on kiln floor, some people use pyrex or ceramic bowls.... Anything that will withstand the heat of kiln is possible tool to support beads on/off mandrel...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-10-07, 9:26am
Critter Mom

Congrats on picking up an annealer...I use strips of "kiln shelf" in my kilns. You might check with a local pottery supply shop and see if they have some or they may have "kiln furniture" that would work. The strips I cut are about 9" long by 1" wide by 1/2" thick. I have a few of them so I can stack them up depending on what I'm working on at the time...I usually use two stacked on top of each other. I started using them when I made a whole set of beads (took me all day) and almost all of them had tiny little flat spots from laying on the kiln floor. This way even if I put a piece in the kiln that's a little too hot it wont end up getting deformed from laying on the floor of the kiln.

Old 2010-10-07, 9:33am
Hobby Junkie

I don't use anything... I just toss them in! I do the marver test first to make sure they are cool enough (You tap a graphite marver with the bead. It should "tink" not "thud"). I've never had any issues with the sticking together or getting marks from the kiln floor.

Old 2010-10-07, 1:44pm
Alaska Boro

In my application, the kiln floor is covered with a ceramic blanket. The beads are all batch annealed. i.e. removed from mandrel, cleaned and scattered on blanket.
Old 2010-10-07, 1:59pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have a rod holder that I put in mine. Make sure you don't get the ones coated with paint. I move the beads over as it fills up & stack them on top of each other. I always keep a clear spot to put in a new hot bead, so it doesn't touch the others.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-07, 3:48pm

I have fiber blanket on the floor of mine. I add beads from the right and start stacking to the left. Always leaving room on the right for newest hot beads. Why right to left? I have no idea.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-10-07, 4:34pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I have a rod holder that I put in mine. Make sure you don't get the ones coated with paint. I move the beads over as it fills up & stack them on top of each other. I always keep a clear spot to put in a new hot bead, so it doesn't touch the others.
This is what I do too.

Old 2010-10-07, 7:39pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

LOL Donna, I go from right to left also.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-07, 11:56pm

Perforated steel works great (if this is a front loading kiln). Simply take a small hack saw and make 1 parallel cut on each side of the fire brick and slide it in.

Candy

Old 2010-10-08, 3:07am

Great idea, Candy. I hope I remember to do that when I get a front-loader.

In my top-loader, I use a metal dish of table salt that's been run through a blender to make it popcorn salt. This keeps softer colors, like Reichenbach Iris Orange 104 COE, from denting when annealing.
Old 2011-02-12, 11:37am
Triumphantly Knit!

Does anyone else have pictures of how they stack the beads? I have a chili pepper and am trying to picture stacked kiln shelves and I don't quite understand the loading from the right and stacking from the left....I may be having a senior moment...
Also, the fiber blanket stuff that lines my kiln turned brown the first time I used it. Supposedly this kiln had been used before so I wonder if the discolouration is ok. Also, when and how does one replace that fiber lining?
Thank you
Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-12, 1:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
This is what I do too.
This^
Old 2011-02-12, 5:52pm

I would like to see some pictures of full kilns too!
Old 2011-02-13, 9:22am

posted this in the wrong thread! Deleted!

Last edited by carolinesbeads; 2011-02-13 at 9:24am. Reason: posted in wrong thread
Old 2011-02-13, 9:34am
uncouthful cats

@ irjc: The fiber blanket in my Chilipepper has not turned brown. I got mine used too. Could yours have been contaminated with something?

I use the perforated steel mandrel holder like Candy (beadgoodies) uses. It doesn't fill the kiln, so I just move the beads that have been in the kiln longest off to the sides to make room for new beads.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!