LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-03, 11:06am

Default How to determinte clear boro from soft glass?

Several years ago I bought a few rods of pyrex to use as punties. Now I'm starting to play with boro and I have my new rods separated from my soft glass. But I didn't mark the original pyrex rods...is there a way I can distinguish them from the soft glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2013-08-03, 11:26am
I'm meeeeelting

Boro ends tend to be shiny and clear where clear soft glass usually looks matte from being cut. You'll easily be able to tell the difference if you put the ends in the flame - way different melting time and way more explosions on the soft glass.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-08-03, 2:02pm

Thanks Felicia. Here's my problem...I have several fat rods of Lauscha Clear (which I love) and I can't determine if I have some old boro rods mixed in. I think someone way back wrote that you can tell by looking at the rod from the cut end (the color)...is that true?

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2013-08-03, 2:07pm
I'm meeeeelting

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. You can often tell the difference by looking at the end of the rod. I'd suggest sorting them by how the ends look if you can tell the difference. Then take one from each pile, put it into the flame and see what it does. The boro will melt much more slowly than the Lauscha.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-08-03, 3:07pm

Thanks Felicia...going to check on them right now.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2013-08-03, 6:16pm
Mr. Cellophane

Melt one rod on top of the other so you have a gather that's 1/2 boro and 1/2 soft. Heat and pull stringer and hold it upside down. If it curls up as it cools its two different COE's
Make sense?

Libby

Old 2013-08-04, 1:35am
Alaska Boro

One should be able to tell by the melting temperature. The soft will melt sooner. The boro, depending on the torch, will take longer and at a higher temperature.

Also the viscosity of the soft glass should be less. Boro being a lot stiffer.

With a hot head the boro should not melt at all.
Old 2013-08-04, 8:49am

Here's the easiest way I have found for me. Heat the end of the rod to glowing hot. Let the glow go out and pinch. You will be able to pull several soft glass stringers. The boro will barely let you pinch or pull. Give it a shot. ;-D

Old 2013-08-04, 10:40am

I just got back to the computer this morning (Hawaii). Thank you all for your advice on determining boro from soft glass. I've tried most of these methods and still wasn't quite sure. Needless to say I'll make sure to keep my new boro separate from soft glass.

I'll get it another try today and hopefully come to that "ahhhhhhh" moment.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2013-08-04, 11:27am
Playing with Fire!

The very easiest way is to take a known piece of soft glass, and do a hot seal to the suspected boro... wait till it cools, and if it is boro it will pop apart all on its own.

In the future, always mark your glass!

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-08-04, 1:52pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I usually take a scrap piece of known boro left over from a marble and melt in little dots of the suspect rods keeping the order clear and writing it down. When the scrap slug cools the soft glass spots or dots will have cracked off.

PJ
Old 2013-08-04, 3:37pm

Thank you both for the last two comments...these sound like fool-proof ways to spot the difference. And "YES", I will definitely make the glass from now on...lesson learned!

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2013-08-05, 8:14am

If the rods of boro are 4 to 6 mm or smaller and you are using a hot torch that clear will melt pretty fast. You might want to try making a small bead of 104 and suspected boro rods to be sure.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-08-05, 3:05pm

Thanks Paula...will try that also!

SRA Member #F10

Diane