No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-10, 9:12am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Love, love the octopi beads, WOW!

PJH

PS - I mostly don't care for raised dots or dots in general I guess, but then I see Larry Scott's work or some of the other peeps who do them and I can't help but admire and appreciate the skill and talent that went into them.

Whatever floats your boat
Old 2012-07-10, 9:20am

I love all dots. The precision and care with which they are placed is what first attracted me, long before I made my first bead. I am more likely to buy a bead with dots than any other kind. Even more so now that I know how difficult it is to place them well. And my favorites are the ones with silver glass topped with clear to magnify the effect. But you have to make what you love. I keep trying new techniques, and my best beads are the ones that speak to me, not to anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-07-10, 9:23am
Loving learning

Very true. When I show my DH my beads from the kiln (he always looks at them & compliments where he can) he always says... "well, I don't like the bumpy ones so much, don't know why, I just don't" and I always smile & reply "I know, so you've said" & smile again. Now he even tells me "I know you said sometimes the kids like to be able to feel them though".
Old 2012-07-10, 9:57am

I think it is a matter of taste. I myself am not drawn to a bead full of raised dots. Although when they are part of the design element, like in the octopus beads shown in this thread I find them very nice. So raised dots as part of the design element I vote yes, raised dots just for texture not my thing.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:55am

I love dots, both raised and melted in. Melted in dots can be used to create marvelous patterns that I wish I was better at doing.
Old 2012-07-10, 2:48pm

Customers LOVE bumpy beads.

I don't make a lot of them, but they are always the first to go from the bead bowl.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-07-10, 3:59pm

I mainly make two kinds of beads, very smooth encased florals & controlled bumpy treasures. They sell equally well, there are customers for both.
Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-10, 10:16pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Those treasure beads are my kind of raised dot bead!
Not too fussed otherwise, except to maybe marvel at skills of doing them in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-13, 5:47pm
Glass-aholic

Kerry I love your beads!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-14, 5:08am

People I come across seem to love the bumpy beads, too. But I usually make them with silver glass so they have interesting depth and color. Mmmm, Ekho!

Old 2012-07-14, 5:48am

Thank you Di & Jaci, I do love making the bumpy beads.

Patti the large spots in the middle bead are Clio over striking red, over white, over black. It looked more deep pink in real life. Clear between the Clio & the red & on the top.

The larger spots on the first bead are Psyche over opal yellow, over black.

Also some Aurae, Triton & Kronos in there too & lots of silver leaf. Photos are not good, just quick snaps with a cheapo camera..

Kerry
Old 2012-07-14, 8:04am

i like lightly raised dots encased with a light transparent. it's a pain in the ass but it really looks nice!
Old 2012-07-15, 12:00pm
one day at a time

I found this set of beads in my "keepers" box. I made them almost 10 years ago when I was a 4 month newbie. On my Hothead, of course! They are really small, like about 12mm including the dots. Most of you who really know my work know that I don't do dots!

This was the only set I ever made and I rarely played around with dots that much over the years. I love them but I don't have the patience, and I'm way too much of a perfectionist to sell them if they are not "perfect" enough.

These two are boro, and it was easier to make dots with it than I thought it would be. The only boro dot beads I have ever made, and this was back in 2005. I made very few boro anything, which was probably a total of 20-25 beads in all.

I thought about making these again because I love the crystal clear dots over a multicolored background!

Last edited by Lisi; 2012-07-15 at 12:05pm.
Old 2012-07-17, 8:43pm
Glass-aholic

This is one of my fav ways to use clear bubbles of raised dots

Lisi. I have a bunch of beads that I scoffed from the traveling box once that look just like your picture did you play that box game? I kind of thought maybe they were boro but only cuz i couldn't figure out the color, but they look like your pic above! I never knew who made them... Could it be you?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-07-17 at 9:26pm.
Old 2012-07-17, 8:57pm
Practice makes perfect?

Default Dots....

I don't really like raised dots when I look at a single bead. Since I've been practicing and have some to mess with, I have found I like them when they are mixed with other beads. Otherwise..too much of a good thing?
Old 2012-07-18, 10:02am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
I love them, my husband hates them. But, he dose not buy my beads, so I make them.

Jo

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-07-18, 1:14pm
Lampworkaholic!

For some reason I just now noticed that almost all my focals have raised dots, except my florals (which have plunged dots).

I tried restraining myself from putting dots on every darn focal but at the last minute I feel compelled to add them.

The beads just looks unfinished to me without them, even it is is just a few here and there.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-07-20, 10:29am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Lisi. I have a bunch of beads that I scoffed from the traveling box once that look just like your picture did you play that box game? I kind of thought maybe they were boro but only cuz i couldn't figure out the color, but they look like your pic above! I never knew who made them... Could it be you?
No, I never played the game, but I should. Sounds like fun! I still have these boro beads, I think. They might have been destroyed in the fire. Or maybe not, because fire burns at 1100-1500 degrees, and that is not hot enough to melt boro. Maybe crack it, but even if I did try to look for them, I have no idea where in the rubble they might be. I do remember the color combo though. I think it was the GA and NS colors, Rust, Pomegranate, and Silver #5 (is that the GA name??) made into a twisty.
Old 2012-07-20, 12:08pm

I love them-and like textured stuff. DH hates them!
Old 2012-07-21, 1:56am
one day at a time

My ex said they looked like a "disease", which used to irk me, but he was a weirdo anyway. He could never say anything nice about anything or anybody. Like it hurt him to even try. lol