No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-26, 5:08am
Senior Moment

Default Alice's bead release

Has anyone used Alice's extraordinary glass release recently? I'm thinking about ordering a pound, but would like some opinions first. Sadly, there are no pottery/ceramic shops close by, else I'd buy the ingredients myself. If I'm going to buy online, might as well get it premixed.

Thanx!
Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-09-26, 7:02am

I've used Alice's for about 8 years and never had a problem with it. I can't really compare it to others because I've only used them in different classes and haven't tried them at home. It's not as smooth as some others, but that has not been an issue for me. I only work in soft glass, and rarely have a problem getting beads off the mandrels-- even long ones. I don't think it's meant to be flame-dried, but haven't really tried doing it. I have, however, used mandrels that were prepped months ago and had no problems getting the beads off.

Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2012-09-26, 8:57am

Bought a pound of the powder and I'm using this stuff now. I wasn't sure how much water to add so I first just filled half the small baby food jar with water and added a slight heaping tablespoon then capped and shook for a bit. It was still too watery so I added another two slight heaping tablespoons and shook so now it was getting thicker and just figured it needed one more spoonful so I added the forth tablespoon and shook and it was thick so I added more water up to the line shown leaving enough air space for shaking. The mandrel shown has dried after one dipping into the jar and has been just fine for releasing beads. I have double dipped and see no difference in the release effects. The one pound of powder will probably last me forever.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2012-09-26, 12:11pm
Beadmaking.nl

A few years ago in the Netherlands a group of 6 beadmakers tested 14 beadreleases. I had the honor to prepare all the stuff to put them in anonymous bottles.

I noticed that the makers of the powders beadreleases did not put an manual to it where they discribed how to prepare the beadrelease. Strange.

I use a portable baby mixer and put the beadrelease in baby bottles so it is easy to mix and the release is always smooth. Just a tip.

Old 2012-09-26, 6:09pm

I love Alice's! I have not had a bit of problem with it at all. I love it and Foster Fire.
Old 2012-09-26, 7:06pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I mix it 50/50 with Fusion... I haven't tried it by itself in a long time... I can't remember why I started mixing it.