TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-01-26, 11:41pm
Enjoying Life!

Default Heart Pendant

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to make a hanging heart pendant like the one in this photo?

Credit: Heart pictured above was made by Blue Lagoon Beads on Etsy.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-01-26, 11:52pm

Here's Mr Smiley's tutorial. i LOVE making hearts

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...heart+tutorial

"So whatever you do, don't be bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting."

Currently NOT Working on a Minor with Tanked oxy. (I'm so homesick!)
Old 2008-01-27, 12:25am

Wowsers! Imagine my surprise when I saw my li'l heart in this post! Laura, I make the hanging loop separately as a small spacer and garage it in my kiln. Then I make the heart by having a glob of glass about the size of a large grape at the end of my rod. I take a sharp tool or butter knife and make the crease by pushing in on the glass blob. From there, I heat the top of one of the "lobes" and attach the spacer loop. At this point I have the glob of glass attached to the mandrel at the loop and the rod is at the bottom of the heart. I heat the rod where it's attached and pull it off the heart.

Did that make any sense? Wish I had some pics. Mr. Smiley's tutorial is great BTW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2008-01-27, 7:57pm
Enjoying Life!

Thank you both for your replies! Angela, I love your beads! It made sense to me, I'll give it a try tomorrow when I get some torch time.

Thanks,
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-01-27, 8:18pm

Laura, I'm so thrilled you like it. I'm still pretty new to this stuff so I was so tickled when I saw your post last night. Hope my tips make some sense. Post some pics of your hearts!

Angela Kane

Old 2008-02-01, 10:16am
Enjoying Life!

Default It worked!

This is on my first try. Next time, I'll try to make the spacer bead smaller. I used transparent light blue and etched it. Thanks for the directions, Angela! Here's the pic:

Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-02-02, 12:58am

Your first one looks about a million times better than my first ones did! I really like the soft etched finish on it too. Be careful - they're addictive!

Let's see some more!
Angela

Angela Kane

Old 2008-02-02, 10:32am
WeBeadTogether

Beautiful heart... *love that color*

Paula

Old 2008-02-02, 9:49pm
Enjoying Life!

Paula, The color was light blue transparent Moretti (I believe). Angela, How far into the "blob" is your mandrel? It seems that by the time I get it shaped, the mandrel is half way into the heart and when I try to get it out, I'm having some trouble pulling it out without distorting everything. And yes, it is addictive! I had about three after light blue heart that didn't turn out though
Thanks!

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-02-02, 11:24pm

Hmmm - - my mandrel never really touches the blob. I make my spacer/loop on the mandrel and it's sitting in the kiln while I melt my blob. When I have a grape-sized blob, I hold the rod with the glob hanging down and make my creases and shape the heart. Then I pull the loop out of the kiln, heat a spot on one of the heart lobes and attach the loop to the heart (is this when your mandrel is getting too far into your blob??). Try to keep your heat focused on the tip of the heart lobe or on the bottom of your loop - don't heat the whole glob too much at this point or it will get distorted. Don't spend too much time attaching the loop as you can "clean" it up after you've got the heart off your rod of glass.

After your loop is attached, aim your flame at the bottom of the heart (where the glass rod is attached) and, when it's glowing and soft, pull the rod and flame-cut the glass trail where your heart "tail" will be. Do any clean-up flame polishing at this point and then pop it into your kiln.

Hope that helps a bit!

Angela Kane

Old 2008-02-02, 11:31pm
Enjoying Life!

Ok, now I understand! I thought you put the melted blob onto the end of a mandrel, then heated it to get it off the mandrel, lol. I read "rod" but was not thinking glass rod, roflmao! Yep, that will work much better!
thanks again!
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-02-03, 1:55am
as in the state

I'm going to have to try these out Tuesday....only I don't have a kiln set up where I torch now. Hrmm...maybe Cece and I will have to do a collaboration where she does a quick spacer and then hands it off to me so I can put the heart on it!

Thanks for sharing your how to for this--I love hearts.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-03, 1:06pm
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
I'm going to have to try these out Tuesday....only I don't have a kiln set up where I torch now. Hrmm...maybe Cece and I will have to do a collaboration where she does a quick spacer and then hands it off to me so I can put the heart on it!

Thanks for sharing your how to for this--I love hearts.

-Amy
Sounds like a good idea! With how much hot glass you'll have, I'd be worried about thermal shock from placing it in a fiber blanket to cool down. I've never used vermiculite, maybe that would work better, I don't know. Let us know how it goes!
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-02-03, 1:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLou View Post
Ok, now I understand! I thought you put the melted blob onto the end of a mandrel, then heated it to get it off the mandrel, lol. I read "rod" but was not thinking glass rod, roflmao! Yep, that will work much better!
thanks again!
Laura
I can see why it wasn't working too well for ya! Hope you have better results now~

Angela Kane