No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2012-05-02, 4:07pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
You don't have to pay anything to have a copyright.
I think everyone else reading this knew that but didn't bother to reply. Waste. Of. Time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-02, 6:40pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Many of us purchased and sold our books and booklets such as Making Glass Beads, Passing The Flame, Spotlights on..., Sharon Peters, Leah Fairbanks etccc... And I have never heard anyone say we should not sell or give them away when we are done with them. They are quickly grabbed up in the GS.

Why is it ok to sell/give away those but not the E tutorials we buy? What's the difference? IMHO, I see no difference.
Because you still have the original - with a book you no longer own it if you sell it or give it away, with an e book you can sell or give away unlimited copies

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-05-03, 9:16am
To bead Yeah! ;)

So at the end of the day, I hope that bead artists respect one another, and always ask yourself if you had something to sell, which you have worked hard for to produce, would you like it if it was sold, passed on, copied etc..

If anyone has a question or is in doubt about a tutorial, they should ask before they purchase it.

Forget copyrighting anything, waste of time! Maybe you can protect it??
I found this link about protecting PDF files: http://www.crypkey.com/products/dlm.php
For anyone that is interested read it... I have no idea what the service will cost you.

I trust you guys...for now LOL

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2012-05-03, 11:20am

So if I have 50 tutorials bought from lampworkers and I decide to stop lampworking, Should I just throw my tutorial out? That seems a shame.

Old 2012-05-03, 11:46am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
It seems a weird area to me. You can buy a book and lend it 50 times to other people. This is what libraries do. You can sell it in a garage sale, or to a used bookstore who will just turn around and sell it to someone else. You can do the same with CD's, DVD's.

Ebooks cost almost as much as printed books, but with a printed book them major cost is the actual producing a book in print. The author gets very little of actual cost of a book.
This ^^^^^

What makes an e-book sacred and un-lendable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Because you still have the original - with a book you no longer own it if you sell it or give it away, with an e book you can sell or give away unlimited copies
Oh...ok then.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-05-05, 11:40pm

I could also make copies of a printed book with my scanner and then sell the original book.

It all depends on the honor system. IMHO Ebooks are no different then printed books and when someone gives/sells their legally obtained Ebook, they should delete it from their computer.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-05-05, 11:56pm
Entropy increasing....

Ebooks are going to be the end of used bookstores. That's a shame.
Old 2012-05-06, 6:50am

Quote:
I don't think so. Too many people collect books, they will morph bookstore to collectible and antique stores. If I download a book by Mark Twain, I would still like to have an original copy.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2012-05-16, 1:25pm

This is where I have issues with ebooks as well. If if I bought a hard copy got rid of it after making copies of the projects I wanted to do, no one would come and check my house for it, the author doesn't get anything off it once it hits the streets again. Just because it's easier to copy and distribute an ebook doesn't mean that people are any less ethical in how the deal with it. If I wanted to get the book an delete it before selling it, I dont' see the difference. I am not trying to keep stuff stirred up about this subject but it is one that makes me sort of crazy on both levels. I live in the used book stores and I can't see the difference one way or another, except people seem to think that ebook readers are less ethically inclined than anyone else and that goes for Magazines as well. There is a lot of great information out there that is going to be lost forever because of this IMHO. Especially if someone is selling their stuff off..

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2012-09-22, 3:30pm

OMFG!!! I haven't been here long but this is by far the best thread I've seen yet! Soooo many, thoughts and views, what if's and how 's. I'll have to comment more when I'm not driving. Damn technology! Gonna make me crash one day

Last edited by fusionboy69; 2012-09-22 at 4:17pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 2012-09-23, 7:45am
birdergirl ~o~

Buying a tutorial is nothing like taking a class (to me). I learn much easier watching something than reading then trying myself.
Most classes would have the tools, glass and a teacher guideing the student.
Most of the time one would leave the class knowing the technique.
Would the owner of the tutorial be allowed to make a style bead from the tutorial at a general lampwork demo or is that taboo also?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2012-10-13, 2:18pm

Wow! I haven't stopped in, in a quite a while. I am surprised to see this issue is still in debate, but I'm really glad to see all the different comments. It's an issue that is never quite at rest with me, because clearly, it isn't as cut and dried as many would suggest. Lots of food for thought!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2013-03-21, 12:33am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Hot mess this seems to be, what if my PC ate all my tuts,and when I give it to someone else that find them and leaves it on the bought PCM for fun then what... Hope you can all find a solution you can live with.
And I bet the person that asked the ? Is wishing se never opened that page..lol
Katja
Old 2013-03-21, 1:29pm
Senior Moment

This issue is winding its way thru the courts right now (see ReDigi). What is being reviewed is First Sale doctrine and how it applies to digital copies of copyrighted stuff (First Sale doctrine meaning reselling of trademarked items after the trademark holder has sold them). However, First Sale does not include things sold "by rental, lease, loan, or otherwise without acquiring ownership of it." In other words, when a license to use the digital item is sold (stating that it is a license for use and not a copy) the sale doesn't fall under First Sale doctrine. Yes, there is a LOT more, but I'm "Reader's Digesting" this bit. There is a 3 factor test to figure out if a licensing agreement creates and licensing agreement with the buyer, but the 1st test is the purchase being made under a licensing agreement.

In a nutshell, according to how I understand the law, as long as you are selling a license to use a tutorials, as opposed to selling a tutorial outright, it is then illegal for the purchaser to resell it. Atm, if the tutorial is purchased outright, then the buyer can legally resell. Once. And may not retain any copies in any form.

Now, that being said, I have a ton of tutorials. God forbid I keel over tomorrow, chances are all my computer files (except my pics) will be deleted, so my downloads will no longer exist. I do have hard copies (I love technology, but I don't trust it). Chances are those will go into the recycle bin as DH would never know what to do with them. I have no intention of selling any of them. And I agree there is an unwritten moral issue. But in the eyes of the law right now, I could delete the files from my computer and legally sell all the tuts which don't outright state they are for lease.

Food for thought for those who have tutorials out there.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-03-22, 10:34am
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Some tutorials have been well worth their cost (more in some cases!), and I constantly will refer back to them, for ideas or inspiration. Others have really disappointed me, and I feel like I wasted money.
This is a really good thread, I've looked at it periodically over the last year or so. Jenne's comment particularly strikes me. I really try to be ethical where things like e-books are concerned. I read opinions from people who write e-books regarding the sharing of proprietary information and I think there are a lot of valid points. I appreciate the comments of many of the e-book authors here, and respect their opinions as well as their skills. I've seen other threads where I've been left with a bad taste in my mouth - most e-book consumers are a bunch of theivin' scoundrels with the intent of buying one and sharing with everyone.

Which leads to the real comment I want to make since we are talking about ethics. If you happen to be an e-book writer, I'd at least appreciate it if you showed me how to make THE BEAD ON THE COVER OF YOUR BOOK - the full recipe. Chances are I know the technique, or a similar one, and I just spent 25 hard earned ones to see your recipe, probably as a jumping off point.

It sucks when you show me that beautiful popilicious bead on the cover of your book and then you give me a recipe with ivory, a piece of silver glass, and clear. If this sounds familiar and you think I'm talking about you, I probably am. Ethics go BOTH ways! Ya know, just sayin'.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2013-03-22 at 10:36am. Reason: I can speil but I can't spell...
Old 2013-03-22, 10:51am

This is an interesting thread. And I am curious about it now, as I just finished printing binding and spending more money on my Paid tutorials so that I can actually use them in my shop at my torch.

I think if I were to sell my studio, equipment, tools and books I would certanly think about my compilation of PAID tutorials, my personal notes, etc. But it does raise the question.

I think we have to remember that reprinting a tutorial and distributing for profit is a NO, NO and/or calling it your own.

But if I were to ask a friend of mine to put a tutorial of mine on their web-site for sale. I would be giving that person permission to sell it (for a profit or not) and distribute it.

It raised another question though....we have tool swaps here on the forum. And some forums have lending libraries....hmmmm.

Just makes me think. I personally wouldn't sell a tutorial for profit. If I had a friend here at the house and we were learning a new technique together and I had a tutorial that I purchased...I would let her read it and use it. Would you?

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-23, 1:59am

Yes I would let a friend read a tutorial I'd purchased, at my house, on my computer. I wouldn't give her a copy, if she wanted one I'd refer her to the seller. If I buy a tutorial I feel I'm entitled to 1 copy of it on my device, exactly the same as an ebook and I can show that device to a friend if I want to.
Old 2013-03-23, 10:09am

Do whatever you want! If you have morals you'll do the right thing, if you don't, you'll do the wrong thing and Karma will get you , it always does.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to share something for free that they paid hard earned money for (regarding sharing with a friend).

But as for reselling? I don't know. I have to think on that one.

I had an incident a few years back having done something nice for someone they offered to send me free copies of a bunch of tutorials they bought as a way of thanking me. To ME! Someone who writes tutorials! I had to shake my head. I declined and regretted doing something nice for them. But then I have morals unlike other people I know.

I'm over worrying or stressing about it. I see so many moral rules being broken it makes my head spin. I just throw my hands up in the air and hope they get what they deserve somewhere down the road.

Old 2013-03-23, 10:31am

Quote:
Probably not...you know vinal records are making a comeback? Modern bands are pressing records again...there are those who prefer the old school techniques
And I believe the love of holding and reading a real book will remain.
Or I hope so anyway.

Jo
Oh, and tutorials? Make the beads, give the credit for the inspiration, and get on with it.
I wrestled with it, but I have shown my beads to some of the tutorial writers, and they encouraged me to sell them, so, who am I to disagree?
Hmm, the tutorials themselves, i wouldn't sell them used. I got them, and used the information, and made back my investment every time. That's enough for me. Honestly, if I had any glassy friends, a technique disscussion may come up, but not so far....

- A work in progress

Last edited by tela; 2013-03-23 at 10:39am.
Old 2013-04-24, 7:52am
The Andrea Half

One thing I have not seen on any lampwork tutorial is something that I just saw on a Zentangle pattern book: when I got the PDF, on *every page* there was a small legend with my name listed as purchaser, my email, and the purchase confirmation number. It's easily done by setting up a custom header, although there may be some other step so you avoid having to input the information manually. The book also had the legal rights restriction on EVERY page in the left margin.

I wonder if such a header might not go a long way twoard resolving this sale / resale debate, at least in the short term? Long term the issue will be decided by legal means and library practice as PDF and other e-formats become more popular.

If you're interested, I would contact Linda Farmer (tanglepatterns.com) for more information. The Zentangle folks have done a superb job of controlling and monetizing what is essentially a form of doodling, although their patterns ("tangles") are nice enough (and usually given away for free) that I don't mind supporting the site.

So not a stance either way -- I'm just throwing out another idea that I haven't encountered so far.

Old 2013-04-28, 1:35am

If I purchased someones tutorial, I wouldn't resell it. If you don't need it or want it any longer, Destroy it. The only rights you have to it is to learn from it's content. I think, and this is just my opinion, you should ask permission from the author if you want to resell only your one copy before doing it. It's just common curtesy and respect and more than likely, the author would give you permission because you asked first.
Old 2013-04-28, 2:15am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcuniques View Post
If I purchased someones tutorial, I wouldn't resell it. If you don't need it or want it any longer, Destroy it. The only rights you have to it is to learn from it's content. I think, and this is just my opinion, you should ask permission from the author if you want to resell only your one copy before doing it. It's just common curtesy and respect and more than likely, the author would give you permission because you asked first.
I respectfully disagree. Destroying tutorials I've probably put hundreds of dollars into is not an option. What a waste of money. I might as well have just tossed all that money in the garbage can. I might as well then take the hard cover books I have with tutorials in them and toss them as well. Doesn't make one iota of sense to me.
If I'm getting out of lampworking totally I see no problem with selling off the tutorials.
If I'm terminally ill and dying I see no problem with selling off the tutorials.
If I die and my family is left with selling off all my lampworking equip, etc I've already told my husband sell off EVERYTHING including the 2 spiral notebooks of printed tuts as well as the cd's. I no longer print out the tuts because of cost.
I see no difference in pdf tutorials vs. books loaded with tutorials.
JMHO but I am one of those people that feels when I purchase something - spend my money on a product, which a tutorial is - IMHO - then I have the right to do with that product as I please. It is mine.

I realize I am most likely in the minority here and I understand that and that's fine. If we all felt the same, what a boring life it would be.

Last edited by dla; 2013-04-28 at 4:53am.
Old 2013-04-30, 7:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
I respectfully disagree. Destroying tutorials I've probably put hundreds of dollars into is not an option. What a waste of money. I might as well have just tossed all that money in the garbage can. I might as well then take the hard cover books I have with tutorials in them and toss them as well. Doesn't make one iota of sense to me.
If I'm getting out of lampworking totally I see no problem with selling off the tutorials.
If I'm terminally ill and dying I see no problem with selling off the tutorials.
If I die and my family is left with selling off all my lampworking equip, etc I've already told my husband sell off EVERYTHING including the 2 spiral notebooks of printed tuts as well as the cd's. I no longer print out the tuts because of cost.
I see no difference in pdf tutorials vs. books loaded with tutorials.
JMHO but I am one of those people that feels when I purchase something - spend my money on a product, which a tutorial is - IMHO - then I have the right to do with that product as I please. It is mine.

I realize I am most likely in the minority here and I understand that and that's fine. If we all felt the same, what a boring life it would be.
Completely agree. And until the courts figure out if digital files fall under the First Sale Doctrine, we don't have much legal precedence to fall back on. The way I understand it, UNLESS the buyer agrees BEFORE purchase to a lease agreement, then the purchase is a sale and falls under the First Sale Doctrine. Which gives the buyer the rights to resell/give away/burn/shred their original copy.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-05-01, 6:08am

I tend to agree with Debbie and Melinda. We see copies of books being sold here in the garage every day. I don't think anyone would think twice about selling their copy of PTF if they no longer wanted it. If that's not a book of tutorials, I don't know what is! I don't really see the distinction between sharing or selling a tutorial versus sharing or selling a hard bound book of tutorials. I guess it all boils down to the fact that an e-tutorial could be shared or sold numerous times which I do NOT agree with! In that respect, I agree with the First Sale Doctrine.

Old 2013-05-03, 5:53pm

Default seriously

Copyright a tutorial? Try enforcing that one! lol

Nancy
Old 2013-05-13, 8:41pm

I have paid 20.00 for a tutorial that claimed to be 'super wonderful', and if I can find a sucker to buy it off me - it's theirs. Just like any other books I buy Most of the tutorials are overpriced and not worth it.

Nancy
Old 2013-05-13, 8:48pm
Co-owner

Under Copyright laws are you not allowed one physical backup copy?

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2013-05-13, 9:13pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpayne View Post
Under Copyright laws are you not allowed one physical backup copy?
I'm sure you are. I always make a physical copy of anything I purchase and download, as well as most of the cd's I buy (tho those usually get put ON the puter). Tech isn't at the point where it's permanently reliable; I've had one too many hard drives keel before I've backed up all my files to trust em completely, so it's a good thing too.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-05-14, 9:04am
Co-owner

Are tutorials classified as software rather than reading material? I wasn't aware of that since we do not deal in used items. Thank you for this quick lesson. I had considered buying glass books from LE members with the idea of creating a free lending library. My ignorance in this area is why I did not go forward with this plan. Any thoughts from anyone?

Robert.

Old 2013-05-14, 9:22am
Co-owner

Okay, so back to a free lending library. Can someone point me to a forum that has that feature. I still think it might be a valid service as long as we do not profit from it. Any opinions? We are working on site enhancements that allow us to record classes that we sponsor and provide free downloads of those classes. Teachers will sign over rights as part of compensation agreement for teaching. This gets complicated doesn't it? Robert