LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-11-20, 11:52pm

Beautiful Suzanne ... so many ways ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-21, 6:54am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hi squid,

you can make an ornament so it loks like it has astar inside of it, by making pokes into the glass. You wil make 2 rows with 4 pokes each. So, you heat a spot and then poke towards the center of the ornament with the skinny graphite. het a spot opposite and do the same, then in between each of the foirst two.. .. then you make a second layer of pokes so eventually you have what appears tpo be 8 small tubes inside the ornament all pointing towards the center. I am plannig on getting into the shop later tpoday, I will try to make one and post it for the gang. They are really simple to do, and are good sellers

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-11-21, 8:05am

Candice, I bought your tut but haven't had a chance to play at that project yet. Your directions look really user friendly.

I am wondering if you have ever tried profile tubing for the last project in your tut. Bettin' they would be booful.... I have some and might give it a go as soon as I master the basics... Thanks for all the work you put into your tutorial. Well done..

Old 2008-11-21, 4:43pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

yes. I have used it and they are really pretty. Have fun with it!!!

Candice

Old 2008-11-21, 10:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
hi squid,

you can make an ornament so it loks like it has astar inside of it, by making pokes into the glass. You wil make 2 rows with 4 pokes each. So, you heat a spot and then poke towards the center of the ornament with the skinny graphite. het a spot opposite and do the same, then in between each of the foirst two.. .. then you make a second layer of pokes so eventually you have what appears tpo be 8 small tubes inside the ornament all pointing towards the center. I am plannig on getting into the shop later tpoday, I will try to make one and post it for the gang. They are really simple to do, and are good sellers

Candice
I *think* I understand - I would LOVE to see one of yours though . Do you do it with boro or the neon tubing?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-21, 11:09pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I would do the internal star ornament with boro, you are inducing a LOT f stress into the glass with that technique. I didnt make it to the shop today. I went grocery shopping and spent the rest of the day in bed... yuck... but paln toget out there tomorrow, will take a pic.

Candice

Old 2008-11-21, 11:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sorry you aren't feeling well

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-22, 6:02pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

hi squid,
I finaly made it over to the shop for a couple hours this evening. I have the internal star ornament in the kiln and will get a pic tomorrow, also made one with the conturax(spelling?) tubing.

thanks for the good wishes squid. I am hoping to get into the neuro surgeon soon. I am no longer driving because my right leg is too weak for me to trust it to hit the brakes hard in an emergency stop. Also getting a lot of "cattle prod" sensations in both legs now...spending more and more time in bed.

My biggest goal right now is to get my secret santa swap stuff done for the bead guild christmas party on the 6th, and try to get some food cooked ahead and in the freezer for when I have surgery. Hubby works 4 10 hour days and is tired when he gets home. Dont think I wil get a tree up this year at all. I may have a lil one someplace I can decorate with beads, but thats about all I am up to right now.

Candice

Old 2008-11-22, 6:27pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
hi squid,
I finaly made it over to the shop for a couple hours this evening. I have the internal star ornament in the kiln and will get a pic tomorrow, also made one with the conturax(spelling?) tubing.

thanks for the good wishes squid. I am hoping to get into the neuro surgeon soon. I am no longer driving because my right leg is too weak for me to trust it to hit the brakes hard in an emergency stop. Also getting a lot of "cattle prod" sensations in both legs now...spending more and more time in bed.

My biggest goal right now is to get my secret santa swap stuff done for the bead guild christmas party on the 6th, and try to get some food cooked ahead and in the freezer for when I have surgery. Hubby works 4 10 hour days and is tired when he gets home. Dont think I wil get a tree up this year at all. I may have a lil one someplace I can decorate with beads, but thats about all I am up to right now.

Candice
I sure hope things go well for you!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-27, 8:58pm

Hi,
I just bought your tutorial. THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!
just can't wait to try!
I will read all carefully before diving and will post pics if I can make something ok... I am a recent but intense and passionate lampworker, so I hope I can make some ok ornaments. It will be a great learning tool I am sure!
Old 2008-11-28, 1:15pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

good luck Malem, the oicicles will be the easier projects to start with. I hope you enjoy learning, and yes I want to see what you have made. I am always glad to offer help as well.

Candice

Old 2008-11-30, 9:40am
Chrissy

Candice where did you say you got your caps for the ornaments?

Old 2008-11-30, 7:27pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

So where have you all been buying your tubing? I want some NOW!!!!! LOL...
Thanks, Pat
Old 2008-11-30, 8:39pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

I bought mine at ABR Imagery. I bought the Asian tubing because the price was right and I'm learning, so I can't really afford to learn on the pricier tubing. I've had no issues with it...

Old 2008-11-30, 10:13pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, Suzanne...I will go there right now!! Pat
Old 2008-12-01, 7:14am
Run Free Sweet Boy

just aheads up....

first, I got a boat load of the chandelier glass thaTS 104 COE from Arrow Springs. I am experienced with soft glass, and large diameter tubing and I am fighting with this glass. I do not reccomend this tubing to anyone iunless they are VERY experienced with both. I have yet to get a single item finished ebacuse it explodes on me... have not givcen up, I gotta drop back and punt, dig out a bunsen burner and try a few more things... but it is not a beginners glass.

Candice

Old 2008-12-01, 10:54am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Ok, still not getting tubing!! Can't find it on Frantz, crloo seems to be all colored?, I just cancelled my 2 lbs. from Arrow Springs after Candice's warning, somebody please help me....I do have some boro tubing I have never used....Would that be as easy to work with as the soft? If anyone has extra 104, I am all over it...thanks, Pat
Old 2008-12-01, 11:13am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Pat, if you have any furnace frits or Bullseye, you might want to consider getting neon tubing.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-01, 11:23am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, squidy, but this little squidly bitch has neither!! Is there a good place to order neon tubing and would that be easier to use????
Thanks, Pat
Old 2008-12-01, 8:03pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

and the winners of the drawing for the ornaments are...

Mary Ilko
Cheryl Maahs
William Noelker

you shouold have an email in your inbox requesting your mailing addresses

Candice

Old 2008-12-01, 8:09pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

the neon tubing is very easy to work with and its not expensive either. Look in your local yellow pages under signs or sign supplies. Look for local neon shops, they wil most likely have GOBS of scrap they will give you for free in 10mm-15mm sizes. Or a very cheap.

You wil most likely need to contact a sign supply place for the 18 and 25mm size tubing. MOst supply places will only sell cases of glass, and clear usually comes in 50 lb cases, but the 18 and 25mm size comes in 25 lb cases. Last time I bought neon tubing in clear it was about 1.25 a lb The larger diameters may be a bit more, but still quite cheap compared to boro and 104 lauscha.

Candice

Old 2008-12-01, 8:22pm
Chrissy

We had a drawing....where was I ??? LOLOLOL

Quote:
and the winners of the drawing for the ornaments are...

Mary Ilko
Cheryl Maahs
William Noelker

you shouold have an email in your inbox requesting your mailing addresses

Candice

Old 2008-12-01, 8:29pm

Thank you so very much Candice!!! Can hardly wait!!!

I have NEVER won anything before ... this is awesome!!!

Old 2008-12-02, 6:28am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Chris, you were in ANOTHWER THREAD AND MISSED IT... LOLOLOL... But everyone who purchased a tutorail through last sunday was in the drawing for the ornaments that were made while I was making the tutorial.

Candice

Old 2008-12-02, 10:41am
Chrissy

Ok I am happy now as I did purchase your Tut ( so I was in the drawing) and I am loving it!!!!! I think I have more luck with the blowing then I did with the icicles.... I'm going to make a few more then post.... They are tiny but I love them!!!

Quote:
Chris, you were in ANOTHWER THREAD AND MISSED IT... LOLOLOL... But everyone who purchased a tutorail through last sunday was in the drawing for the ornaments that were made while I was making the tutorial.

Candice

Old 2008-12-03, 9:48am
Butterfly Rancher

Acme Girl is selling clear neon tubing http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=115 which is 90COE. She ships fast and packs great! I'm just using the frit I've bought from Glass Diversions and Val with it.

Also Morretti and More http://www.morettiandmore.com/index....x&cPath=13_123 is selling Lauscha colored tubes which is 104.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-12-15, 10:58am
Run Free Sweet Boy

an update for the gang... I just got back from the neurosurgeon. Its my call on havng another surgery/fusion in my spine. I have lots of info to look over and want to talk to my hubby and make the decision.

If they do another fusion its with a new technique thats minimally invasive with a fairly quick recovery, only a couple days in the hospital. but here is what I am weighting out. I have some weakness in the left leg already from past nerve amage, now I have weakness in the right from the new problem. I do have nerve root compression from a broadly bulging disk, So a laminectomy is not an option. We can do nothing, and wait untill it is more accute and then do surgery. We can do more steroid injections for a while( I hate them). We can do this surgery.

here are my worries.. any time you do back surgery there is a risk of damage. but I already have weakness in my right thigh to the point that I wont drive very far at all, and didnt drive any for weeks and weeks. I have toe drop and weakness in my left leg, and dont want to end up with more nerve damage thats permanent and even more issues with mobility.

I have the isgb meet in miami this summer, and I also do disaster work in the summers usually, so if I do this, I want to be healed up for the summer months.

I have a dvd to watch about the procedure etc,, and will talk to hubby and decide...

Candice

Old 2008-12-15, 11:18am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Ug, I have no idea if this could apply to you but I saw a new treatment for bulging disks recently that required no surgery. It looks like the basically stretch your spine to allow the disk to retract.

I've had minor back pain so and that was debilitating enough. I can't imagine what you have to deal with. Sending good thoughts your way.

Also I've been having a lot of fun blowing mini ornaments with neon lately. I like it so much more than the boro tubing. I'm hoping I can find some larger diameter tubing to play with.

So a big Thank You for getting me started with blown work again!

Old 2008-12-15, 1:06pm

Check out this thread...http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115087

Candice-I had the most amazing box arrive at my door this morning. Thank you just isn't good enough. With all you have going on you can't imagine how much you brightened my day and my daughter's as well. The ornaments will always have a treasured spot on our tree. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-12-15, 2:09pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Hi Suzzanne,

I think you are talking about Dax? or something that sounds similar to that.... I am not a candidate. I have gobs of hardware in my back, and and implant for pain control that cant risk being moved etc.

I am so happy you are having fun with the soft glass tubing, I must admit I simply LOVE soft glass.. but dont tell the boro brother.. he doesnt need to know that I love one kid more than the other... and he might get upset and crack if he knew....... we wouldnt want that to happen... now would we?

Candice