TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2007-06-27, 6:58am

Moving again? Hmmm I was specifically told by Karen just 2 weeks ago that the location and date are now set in stone. They are also cutting down on the total number of shows they are promoting and trying to do a better job of getting customers into the shows they will be promoting.

Personally I am giving them one more year to see what happens. My customer base at the Philly show before the move to Reading had grown 500% from the first year, when the show was moved to Reading my sales dropped down to below the first year sales. It was pathetic.

August in my opinion is also a mistake. Many of my personal customers travel to the larger bead shows and are still paying off their Bead and Button purchases. In October they are done paying and thinking of the holiday season and ready to shop.

Another thing..... how many people have looked at the show map? We are in a huge convention center with 2 floors however look at how many empty booths are on that second floor at this time 75%! Yikes! That also doesnt make for a successful show. I am not opposed to competition, its healthy I am opposed to a show that looks like it cant fill their space. If you cant fill both floors, cut it down to one floor that is full. I am so glad I did not decide to try out that second floor for my booth selection. I am lucky in the fact that I was one of the first to get to choose my location.

Good luck to everyone! Stop by and say hello if you have time.
Old 2007-06-27, 5:52pm

Will be there. Hope to be taking a class with John Winter. August is a great time for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-27, 7:20pm
Dangerous Woman

Cindy I always liked Oct better too. I'm just grateful that a big show is within driving distance!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-07-02, 5:05am
Damn Frit Bitch

It looks like the Atlanta show is a big flop. They've had a lot of teachers cancel and the only 2 classes that I signed up for (kem-boo and a copper enamelling type class "Show me the color") have BOTH been cancelled. Atlanta is driving distance for me and it looks like it's going to fail over all which I can't understand since Atlanta is a BIG place. I'm so mad that I didn't go to Bead and Button (DH said it would be too expensive). Philidelphia is a bit far to dive for me.....
Old 2007-07-02, 5:26am
ManBearPig

That's the big complaint I have with Primedia (the people who put on BeadFest). They don't seem to promote their shows as well as other shows. It takes forever for them to get the classes online. And, when they do, the Philadelphia show is the only one they really seem to care about. Now, I'm not knocking them because I know I don't have the slightest idea what goes into putting on a show like this, but it does seem that if they want the other shows to be successful, they would put more energy into them. I signed up to teach at both Atlanta and Nashville in the past, and didn't have any more than two or three total people sign up for classes. And most classes that actually stayed open only had four or five people sign up. Teachers get access to a special page that allows us to see how many actual sign-ups there are (as opposed to what you see - "Seats Remaining: Yes"). Very few of the classes got the minimum of 5 sign-ups needed to keep the class open.

Old 2007-07-02, 7:29am

This is kinda sad. I was planning to go to Atlanta.

LAURIE HUNT
Old 2007-07-02, 9:42am
Damn Frit Bitch

There are still some classes available in Atlanta, but not many. I know that the teachers can't really afford to not make any money (why come?). The beadfest people said that the sales floor will still be open and should have as many vendors as last year (which was MUCH better than the usual bead show in Atlanta) and they do wholesale if you have the paperwork.

I'm thinking about going to Phili for that show. They still have quite a few classes open and have several that I wanted to go to that were at B&B. I've found airfare (from Chattanooga- unbelievable) for $191 round trip. Hotel shuttle from airport is $40. Very nice shopping mall nearby....

I need to talk to DH (make sure nothing else is planned) and I might just be there. The hotel rooms are $104 (plus taxes, I'm sure). Anybody want a room mate? Splitting the room would be great!! Might ask good old Mom (she loves to go places and shop), but I'd feel bad taking classes ALL DAY and in the evening......
Old 2007-07-04, 4:35pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentaymom View Post
I'm thinking about gong to philly. My 2 girls l-o-v-e the mall in KOP. I could leave them at the mall and sneak over to the beadfest! If only i could find something hubby would be interested in we could make a weekend of it!
Does your hubby play pool? Mine does and I THINK there is a pool tournament in Valley Forge that weekend. If nothing else, we could send them off to a Sports Bar and Grill kinda place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
That's the big complaint I have with Primedia (the people who put on BeadFest). They don't seem to promote their shows as well as other shows. It takes forever for them to get the classes online. And, when they do, the Philadelphia show is the only one they really seem to care about. Now, I'm not knocking them because I know I don't have the slightest idea what goes into putting on a show like this, but it does seem that if they want the other shows to be successful, they would put more energy into them. I signed up to teach at both Atlanta and Nashville in the past, and didn't have any more than two or three total people sign up for classes. And most classes that actually stayed open only had four or five people sign up. Teachers get access to a special page that allows us to see how many actual sign-ups there are (as opposed to what you see - "Seats Remaining: Yes"). Very few of the classes got the minimum of 5 sign-ups needed to keep the class open.
I think their classes are very expensive. That's just my penny pinching opinion. I bet they'd get a lot more people signed up if they dropped the cost but increased class size. If nothing else, they could offer a "sign up with a buddy" discount. Yes, they'd have to change the registration form, but so what....you get 2 students at a time that way.

Old 2007-07-05, 5:50am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
Does your hubby play pool? Mine does and I THINK there is a pool tournament in Valley Forge that weekend. If nothing else, we could send them off to a Sports Bar and Grill kinda place.
I wish you hadn't told me that. I have played since I was 12. I played four years professionally. Played in the US Open twice, the LA open once, and just about made it into the Challenge of Champions. Of course, I haven't played for a couple years, but seeing as there is possibly a tournament in town, I may have to try to make it over there. I'm sure Amanda will love me for telling her that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
I think their classes are very expensive. That's just my penny pinching opinion. I bet they'd get a lot more people signed up if they dropped the cost but increased class size. If nothing else, they could offer a "sign up with a buddy" discount. Yes, they'd have to change the registration form, but so what....you get 2 students at a time that way.
I agree, considering what we get paid for the classes. But, again, I don't know what it costs to put on a show like that, so I'm not sure how much is profit and how much just covers the cost of putting it on.

Old 2007-07-06, 4:37am
Damn Frit Bitch

I don't think their classes are any more expensive than Bead and Button. They might be slightly cheaper than B&B. I think they are expensive too, but the teachers do have to pay for the hotel, food, planefare, etc.

How bad is if for the teachers? Do they get half of what the class costs? I think Atlanta will be off next year. I'm not even going to Atlanta this year (sad, because I can drive there) for classes. Might go down for the expo floor. It was really nice last year, but Phili is a couple of weeks later.....
Old 2007-07-06, 5:33am
ManBearPig

We get $25 per student for 3 hour classes, and $50 per student for 7 hour classes. We do get the kit fees as well, but for mine that is just going to cover the amount of materials I'm taking. So I hope that I'll break even for the weekend.

But, I love doing it, and last year we got some business from people who had taken a class from me, so I'm hoping that will happen again this year. For me though, it's more about getting my name out there than getting rich.

Old 2007-07-06, 5:42pm

I think vendors should do well in Valley Forge since jewelry designers are used to coming to that location for the Intergem shows which are there twice a year. I think there is an Intergem show in November at that location which would explain why Bead Fest can't be in October. Intergem has been going there for many years. The floor space is not that big, nowhere near as big as B & B.
Patti

Last edited by Patti W; 2007-07-06 at 5:59pm.
Old 2007-07-06, 8:01pm
Covered in glitter

When I was looking at the classes, I saw one that used a pendant that to me looked like a blatent rip off of someone else's work. When I wrote to them to ask about it, I was basically told to mind my own business. Nope. I'm not going. Never will.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-07-07, 12:24pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
When I was looking at the classes, I saw one that used a pendant that to me looked like a blatent rip off of someone else's work. When I wrote to them to ask about it, I was basically told to mind my own business. Nope. I'm not going. Never will.
I wouldn't let one person turn you off. We have been going to BeadFest for the past three years, and wouldn't miss it.

It wasn't one of the pendants from my class was it?

Old 2007-07-07, 6:42pm
Damn Frit Bitch

Cosmo, what classes are you teaching? I'll be there.... I can't wait. It's a Mini-vacation for me!! I really need to get away from DH for just a bit. I love him, but need some time now and then.... And, er, which pendant was it? Just curious...
Old 2007-07-08, 5:57pm
stacijane on Etsy

Hey, Kendra - I just might be able to talk him in to that!

Old 2007-07-08, 8:48pm

I am going to beadfest in Philly! I think I am taking the class with you on Sunday (boro pendants). I haven't signed up yet, but I plan on it tomorrw. I also want to take 2 other classes.

I have to fly from Canada and it is going to be expensive for the hotel. I was hoping to find someone to room with to save costs. I figure it will cost me almost $2000 by the time my 4 days is over! I am sure my husband will Kill me, but this is my weekend.

Is there anybody out there that has a room to rent in the area for a cheaper rate or who wants to share a room at the hotel.

Stacie
Old 2007-07-09, 6:59am
ManBearPig

These are the classes I'm teaching.

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/beadf...uctorurl=trent

Old 2007-07-09, 7:29am
Damn Frit Bitch

I tried for a room with a two beds just for that reason, but there weren't any at the Scanticon in non-smoking. I need the fridge for some medication that has to be fridged. I've only got one bed and it's only a queen. I'd kick you to death!! If you can't find a roomie closer to the fest, let me know and I can call and see if they have rollaways for rent. I'm sure you would rather have a bed!! I've got some medical issues and you might not want to room with me....

Chad, do you know if there's a site for room mates for the Phili show (other than this)? I thought there was one for B&B, so maybe there are for this one?
Old 2007-07-09, 8:18am
ManBearPig

I haven't heard of anything like that. But there are so many different types of classes and different message boards out there that there may well be one and I don't know about it. I have really cut back the message boards I visit in the past year.

Old 2007-07-11, 5:06am
Damn Frit Bitch

Well, if anyone gets bored, give me a call sometime. I'll be in the Scanticon when I'm not in classes. PM me if you want my cell to find me (though I'll turn it off when I'm in class- figure that's pretty rude to get a call in class....).
Susan
Old 2007-07-27, 2:13pm

Cosmo,
I am so disappointed. I was at my in laws house which had no internet and I had no access to it anywhere, because they are so far away from anyplace that has the internet. When I finally got on-line, the pendant class I wanted to take was filled up. I felt like crying - actually I think I did.

I am the first person on the cancellation list, but I doubt that someone will cancel now, since there is a 0% refund now. I hate when people don't have internet.
Old 2007-07-29, 12:07pm
ManBearPig

We had two cancellations last year, so who knows? Unforseen things always come up.

Old 2007-07-30, 2:17pm

I will make sure that I check each day when I get there. I am there starting Thursday night until Monday. I've saved that spot, so hopefully I can get in.
Stacie
Old 2007-08-03, 6:53am
Scientific Glass Girl

i have my own table and i'm excited to see everyone!

Old 2007-08-04, 4:12am
BeadsonCypress

So who will be helping Catt?? Where have you been?
Old 2007-08-04, 5:22am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

So you get $25 of the $165 fee for a 7 hour class? That amazes me. Are they paying for your transportation, lodging, giving you a free both? I often teach for a LOT less than that, even, but only when it's a bona fide non-profit that I happen to really believe in. And even then, I have to seriously limit the number of those I do in a year just because I can't afford it.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-08-08, 5:33am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
So you get $25 of the $165 fee for a 7 hour class? That amazes me. Are they paying for your transportation, lodging, giving you a free both? I often teach for a LOT less than that, even, but only when it's a bona fide non-profit that I happen to really believe in. And even then, I have to seriously limit the number of those I do in a year just because I can't afford it.
No. We don't get anything free (except admission to the show). Actually, it's $25 for a three hour class, and $50 for a 7 hour class. For the whole show, after I purchased close to $800 worth of jump rings and clasps, and $500 worth of glass, I'll be lucky to break even. We pay for our transportation, hotels, etc. But, it's so hard to get any teaching jobs that I take whatever I can get. I have even offered to teach for free at some places that posted on this board asking for teachers and haven't been accepted there either. It seems that there are only a handful of teachers that can get a decent rate for their services. Since I'm not one of those fortunate ones, I take whatever I can get.

Old 2007-08-08, 7:12am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Seems like you should at least get free selling space. I guess I'll be passing on this one.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-08-08, 7:41am
ManBearPig

Yeah, but I'll be teaching classes all day so I wouldn't be there to sell anything anyways.

But, I'm pretty desperate for teaching jobs, so I'll take whatever I can find. A little money and exposure is better than none...