Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-03-24, 4:55pm

Unhappy Propane Regulator question

I am trying to light my minor torch for the first time using a propane tank and oxycon. I have attached the regulator to the propane tank along with the flashback arrestor and hose (also checked for leaks). I release the regulator pressure adjusting screw and turn on the valve on the propane tank. Both guages engage. My problem is that no matter how much or which way I turn the pressure adjusting screw I can never get the output guage to go below the red zone. What am I doing wrong?
Elaine
Old 2007-03-24, 5:42pm
What, Me Worry?

1. Close the propane tank valve.

2. Unscrew the regulator screw/"T" handle... counter clockwise... until it is very very loose... it may even unscrew completely out and fall off... no problem... T-handles are made to do that. We will screw it back on later.

3. Disconnect the hose from the regulator. The output gage reading will drop to 0-2 psig. If the left (output) gage reads more than 0-2 psig, then the regulator is broken. STOP... replace regulator.

4. Reconnect the hose to the regulator.

5. Open the propane tank valve. Right gage will read tank pressure; left gage will read 0-2 psig. If the left (output) gage reads more than 0-2 psig, then the regulator is broken. STOP... replace regulator.

6. Turn regulator T-handle slowly clockwise ( or screw it back in first if it fell out in step 2) until you feel some 'resistance' to turning. Continue slowly turning the T-handle clockwise and the left gage pressure should slowly rise. If it jumps to 30, it's broken. STOP... close tank valve, replace regulator.

7. Set operating pressure at 4 psig. Your good to go.

Post the results.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-03-24 at 5:47pm. Reason: revised for new operator gage reading error 0 = 0-2
Old 2007-03-24, 5:52pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Ok...

Turn off tank...... Open torch fuel valve. Does left-hand gauge drop to "0" (zero)? This will bleed all pressure out of regulator and hose.

Now back off adjusting Knob/"t" bar (turn to left- counter clockwise) till it turns with little resistance.... Now open tank valve, right hand gauge should got up to something like 120psi and left hand gauge should stay at zero. IF left-hand gauge rises even with adjustment backed off, you may have damaged regulator.

With torch valve still open (ventilation running) , turn regulator adjusting knob/"t" bar to the right (clockwise) and see if left hand gauge rises, keep turning till it goes up to 5-8psi and stop...

Turn torch valve off..... Gauge my rise a few psi, this is NOT a problem....

IF regulator reacts as described, light torch by opening fuel valve, then adding in oxygen.......

A side note is the if you turn regulator adjusting knob/t bar, to left (counter clockwise you are actually decreasing flow through regulator till it actually turns off flow, if you turn regulator to right (clockwise) you increase flow, this works just the opposite of a water faucet for example.... Screwing adjustment all the way down tight (to right) can actually damage regulator diaphragm and you will have to have it repaired or replace it.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-03-25, 8:06am

Dale,
your step 1, yes it does fall to 0.
step 2: with the torch fuel valve open, yes the right hand guage just to 800psi and the left stays at 0. When I rotate the regulator adjusting bar to the right it does rise now--it just seems to be working this morning.

Thanks Dale and bhhco for your responses. You guys need to write the users manuals for these manufacturers.

One more question about the flashback arrestor. I was reading in another post that I think said surface mix torches don't need a flashback arrestor. Did I understand that correctly?
Elaine
Old 2007-03-25, 9:21am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbatteries View Post
Dale,
your step 1, yes it does fall to 0.
step 2: with the torch fuel valve open, yes the right hand guage just to 800psi and the left stays at 0. When I rotate the regulator adjusting bar to the right it does rise now--it just seems to be working this morning.

Thanks Dale and bhhco for your responses. You guys need to write the users manuals for these manufacturers.

One more question about the flashback arrestor. I was reading in another post that I think said surface mix torches don't need a flashback arrestor. Did I understand that correctly?
Elaine
When the set-up was initially connected and the tank valve was opened, the regulator was set such that an excessively high volume and pressure of gas was admitted into the hose. With the torch valve closed, the gas had no where to go and the output gage (left gage) registered the high pressure contained in the hose... it could not be bled off except by removing the hose or opening the torch valve.

The comment "...can never get the output guage to go below the red zone" was a pressure warning... it indicated the hose pressure maxed out the gage pressure reading, and could be as high as the tank pressure... possibly as high as 200 psig (versus the normal 4 psig), or more.

When the torch valve was opened (or by removing the hose from the regulator - outside), the gas was released from the hose and into the atmosphere, and thus the pressure in the hose was relieved and the gage reading dropped to zero psig. It was only an initial set-up problem, and it is now over for good.

No, you do not need flashback arrestors for a surface mix torch.

Do become familiar with the regulator's measurement lines printed on the gage's face. Based on your recent comment "800psi", I think you are reading the kilo Pascal (kPa) line and not the pounds per square inch (psi) line. A 800 kPa reading would be equivalent to 116 psi... which would be within the nominal tank pressure range of 0-200 psi.

Me
Old 2007-03-25, 10:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbatteries View Post
That is what this web site is all about...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-03-25 at 10:14am.
Old 2007-03-25, 2:00pm

Thanks for the clarification. There is so much that is vague (like "adjust the pressure...", but no indication as to how to do that) in the manual that came with the regulator, and it's not something I wanted to be unsure about. I really appreciate all of the help.
Elaine