Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-01-31, 10:35am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post
I'm a little confused about the new guidelines. I'm thinking in general the ones I have in mind won't be worth submitting (not able or willing to tweek them and some simply aren't new concepts). But I was just positive that I've read often contracts include first right of publishing and that the author can retain the rights after that.
That can vary from contract to contract. Some of mine do state that, while others have said that I retain the rights on my tutorials. As far as being a "new concept" - well, I don't think there really are too many new concepts, but there are new (or better) ways of doing the old stuff.

Quote:
When this first started I thought it was more about compiling everything we could from LE users and having a way to donate back to LE and get these tutorials in a printed/printable form. I think that is why you have the ones donated that you have in the unusable pile.
That is STILL the idea here. I will be taking the tutorials available here online and the ones that were donated, and, with the authors permission, adding them to the book. Unfortunately, the pictures that THIS FORUM will accept for ONLINE usage is usually too low to be used in print format. Hence, I need some of these tutorials to either be reworked OR I'm going to need to have the original high res pictures sent to me so I can modify them.

Obviously, this is incredible time consuming, and I have a life (not much of one, but it exists nonetheless ) so I'm first asking the authors if they are willing to revamp their tutorials and send them to me. If I think that a tutorial is a good one, and the author is either unwilling or unable to rework it into a WORD or PDF file, then I will take those on a case-by-case basis.
Example: I have some tutorials that have excellent information that I think would be a great addition, but the author (who can take great pictures and write great text) can't use word for shit (she's a good friend of mine, so I can beat her up about that). So I will be revamping their tutorial so that it is easy to follow and well formatted. This will take me some time to do, but for a few I don't mind doing it. However, if you multiply that by 50 tutorials, then this book won't see the light of day till 2008. That's why I'm asking the people who wrote them to try and rework them before sending them to me.

Quote:
It seems to be headed the published book route. So it sounds like it is going to contain new materials such as would be in any other book but I'm confused about not published before, except for on our own sites but then you say and here on LE. In other words, just not work that goes against another contract? For example I had talked before about a kaleidoscope tutorial. Even if I create one, there is really nothing new in kaleidoscopes that isn't published all over the place so it really won't fit in the new direction as I'm reading it. So I was wondering from the purchasing end (Whoo hoo a new $30 book with all new stuff) and the creating end (probably not worth tweeking what I had to offer).
Where it's heading is probably to an online publishing site. I plan to work this into a usable book form, upload it to the publishing site, and make it available for people to order online. I plan to have a nice chunk of the final cost included going back to LE, however that amount will vary depending on the final cost of the book.

I'd like the book to have SOME new tutorials, however that's not what I'm getting - so I will be limited to what people are willing to give me. This book will be composed of MOSTLY THE TUTORIALS THAT ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE HERE - only in a book format. If you have a tutorial on how to make a kaleidoscope, and it hasn't been published in a magazine - then it would probably work great here.

People have been asking for something substantial and meaningful from this forum since I've been on it (probably long before I got here too), and this is a first attempt to get something done that we can all be proud of. If it works out that some of this money can get back to LE to help defray running costs and make it a better place - well, that's my ultimate goal. They may get $100, they may get $10,000. It all depends on how well this goes and how many people actually buy it.

But first, it actually has to be put together, and to do that, everyone has to cooperate. I've got about 15 solid tutorials and about 25 more in the works.
The quicker I can get people to send me QUALITY well done tutorials,the quicker this will get out.

Hope that answers all (or most) of your questions. If you have something specific that I didn't cover, let me know.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-31, 10:44am

That covers it. For the most part I'm in the can't use the software worth crap category. And it is a bear to try to take pictures and handle the mirrors etc. Plus there is really nothing new about construction or any techniques to show. Place the tape on the table, lay the mirrors on top, form the triangle, tape them up, and insert into a body. (Seriously, I've taught a class of 3rd graders to do them.) So between my lack of software skills, poor pictures and lack of quality content. You've answered my questions. I'll wait and see if I can swing the purchase of the project.
Old 2007-02-04, 5:02am

I wrote my very first tutorial and posted it in the toots section of LE. I would like to donate it to the project(if it's good enough of course). Is it possible for you to take it straight from my site or should I try to find the original photos and send it in an email?(not too sure if I have them)
http://www.beadenvy.co.uk/e-bay/e-ba...n-tutorial.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by greenbeadenvy; 2007-02-04 at 5:05am.
Old 2007-02-04, 10:52am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Hi Emma!
That's a wonderful tutorial. I would love to have it in the book.
The best thing you can do (for me!) would be to put the tutorial together
in a WORD document, format it properly and email it to me. Use the best resolution pictures you have, as the ones that are on websites and forums are pretty grainy. That will save me a lot of time in getting it together.
Also make sure that all of your presonal infor is on the tutorial
(Full Name, website, company name, and any other details you want
people to know). PM me and I'll tell you where to send it to.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeadenvy View Post
I wrote my very first tutorial and posted it in the toots section of LE. I would like to donate it to the project(if it's good enough of course). Is it possible for you to take it straight from my site or should I try to find the original photos and send it in an email?(not too sure if I have them)
http://www.beadenvy.co.uk/e-bay/e-ba...n-tutorial.htm

Old 2007-02-04, 10:59am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

FYI - Update on book.

Well, kids. It's coming along slowly, but it is coming along.
I'm trying to work on at least one tutorial per day if I can
(although many are taking several days to pull together).
Remember - this is a part time gig for me, so it's mostly on off hours
I'm working.

Right now, I have a handful of "done" tutorials, and a ton more
that are "out there" with their authors putting finishing touches on
them. Unfortunately, I cannot proceed until I get them back from the
people who have them, so it's a bit of a waiting game.

Again, proceeding nicely though. I'm going to give it 2-3 more weeks
to get the ones back from the authors that have them, and then I
will do a blitzkreig on the tutorials section and try and get many more
from there. Whether I can use THOSE will depend on getting written approval on
each tutorial. I'm working with my sister, who is an attorney with a
background in contracts (lucky me) to develop an appropriate contract
for letting us use these tutorials for the book. CYA I always say.

No firm eta in sight yet but I'll keep you posted. Getting excited about this!!!

Old 2007-02-11, 7:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I'm pretty steamed.
I don't blame you. I thought this had been scrapped a long time ago too. I checked out post #81. WOW. Not a way to motivate people to help out. Talk about total negativity. Maybe this was not a project Karen Hardy should have taken on by herself because in that post she sounds overwhelmed. Yikes.

I have a hard time believing (after looking at your great tut on your website) that the one you submitted was (Karen Hardy's quote) "something slapped together just for shits and giggles". After all the begging for tuts what a slap in the face.

The original post said "You may send it in...with pictures if you can, if not that is ok too. It doesn't matter if we get 10 different ways to make a round bead... something that works for one person might not work for another. The more the merrier" Originally sounded like a fun lighthearted little book that everyone would enjoy. Kind of like a community cookbook or something. So what if we get 4 recipes for banana bread, everyone's taste is different. Sounds totally different now Too bad.

Don't even know what to say. It's a bummer for all involved. Bummer if you submitted your tut and it was not one of "the chosen ones". Don't give up. There are tons of us newbies (or at least still making beads like we are) that really need your help. Please post them in the tuts for us We will ALWAYS APPRECIATE IT.

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2007-02-11, 7:13pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Hi Kandice,
I'm sorry your upset about the way this was handled. Let me try an answer some of
your questions - and I hope this helps you at least not be so angry with me for
the way this was handled. That was not my intention - to piss anybody off, although
I knew from the start that - since this project has been passed around a lot, some feelings
might be inadvertently hurt in the transition. Here goes...

Quote:
Okay, I am going to try not to be bitchy about this....but I am
not guaranteeing anything. I'm pretty steamed.
(again - sorry!)

Quote:
First of all - I wandered in here for the first time in a long time, only to see this thread about the tutorials -
one of which I submitted ages ago. (Raised daisy). If I hadn't seen this thread, I would never ever have known
that there needed to be further work done on my tutorial. No one has ever contacted me about it - indeed,
I thought this project had been scrapped, because I haven't seen a thread on it in a long time. If you need
something from me, why haven't I received any PM or email or anything?
You haven't been personally contacted (and the same goes for others who have submitted tutorials) because I
am not at that stage yet. I put a "general" email to several people who
submitted tutorials that were mostly "book ready" in the hope that I could slam through those quickly and then
take time (when I had it) working with others who needed more
help. Again, this is going in stages - most people put together a book like this in about
6 months to a year, I'm trying to do it in half that. As soon as I reach the point where
I have the tutorials that only needed a slight tweak finished, I was going to be starting in
on the next batch that need a little more work - such as adding a few more step-by-step
pictures or adding a "final product" picture. After that - I will be working with the authors
that really require hand-holding, such as ones who cannot take their own pictures, or
ones that take great pictures but have problems formatting tutorials or coming up with
the descriptive text to go with the pictures. I want to make sure that all the tutorials have
a "flow" to them, and are easy to follow.

Quote:
Second - I submitted my tutorial because I wanted to do something to help LE. However, after reading
post number 81 by Karen, I am a little put off, to say the least. After Lizabeads begged and pleaded us
all for tutorials, I sent in one because I really wanted to help out. She told us to send in ANYTHING.
Come to find out, now you need a "quality FINISHED product that will be worth something to purchase,
and not something slapped together just for shits and giggles." Well, excuse me. Maybe you don't
really need my tutorial after all. Since it might be just "crappy". Or whatever. Not that I would know,
because no one has ever gotten back to me on it. And this thread is buried in an area that is not viewed
on a regular basis by most of the people here.
Again, here's the problem with having so many hands in the pot. We each have a different idea as to what
a "finished tutorial" should look like. While I would like to have a lot of
tutorials in this book to make it infinitely more purchasable, I feel that - at a minimum,
these tutorials should have a certain usability to them They needed to be mostly pictures,
with explanatory text walking you through the process. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you
with the "shits & giggles" comment - or if I implied that I wasn't grateful for any and all
tutorials that were submitted. I wasn't trying to hide or bury this thread - this is a REALLY big forum, I put
a quickie note here - and a quickie note in the bathroom, just to see if I
could make quickie contact with a few people that day when I had a few hours to spare
(which I did manage to do). I'm doing this in my spare time, so I'm trying to get
as much done in the hours I have.

Quote:
So just count me out, okay? Now that I feel completely and totally unappreciated and taken for granted
(I mean, seriously, I submitted to help LE, not to sell anything), I think I will just post my tutorial on my
website. I don't need to be treated like crap when I submitted something as a donation. It's not like I
need the exposure.
Again (and again, and again) I am terribly sorry if I offended you or made you feel in any
way like you were not contributing or you were being taken for granted. It's your call as
to whether or not you want to let me use your tutorial - however I think it's a great tutorial
and I think it will be a shining star in the tutorials book. If you decide that you want to use
it for your own website - and you are interested in the comments or suggestions I had for
it, I would be more than happy to share them with you.

So - once again - I apologize to you (and anyone else) offended by any flippant comments I made -
or if I did anything to make you feel like you were not an important
part in this project. I'm just trying to do the best work possible and put out the best
product I can so everyone can feel proud of their contributions.

Old 2007-02-11, 7:41pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipojasper View Post
I don't blame you. I thought this had been scrapped a long
time ago too. I checked out post #81. WOW. Not a way to motivate people to help out.
Talk about total negativity. Maybe this was not a project Karen Hardy should have taken
on by herself because in that post she sounds overwhelmed. Yikes.
Just a quick FYI - I removed the shits&giggles part from my post #81. It was meant as
a bit of chummy poking, but since you and Kandice found it offensive, I figured it was in
the best interest of this project to remove it. Erase, erase, erase.
As for my post being "negative", I would invite you to reread it and rethink that. I was doing
my best to answer questions about the current state of the tutorial book, which people have
been anxiously waiting on for some time. Yes - many people thought it was scrapped and
it actually kind of WAS. I am doing my best to resurrect it and make it something awesome.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing (after looking at your great tut on your website) that the one you
submitted was (Karen Hardy's quote) "something slapped together just for shits and giggles".
After all the begging for tuts what a slap in the face.
Yeah - after looking at the tutorial on her website - I would think the same thing too.
The tutorial she submitted is the same one on her site....

Unfortunately, the tutorial I have from Kandice is missing ALL the pictures. Only text.
I don't know whether this is due to what she sent out or whether it's something that
one of the other people working on the tutorials (before me) inadvertently did.
- so that is what I am working with, and that is what I have to go on. Can Kandice
write a great tutorial? Hell yeah! Is what I received a great tutorial? Well...no, it's not.
Of course, that's not her fault, and it would probably have been corrected with one
email (in which probably Kandice herself would hopefully have been telling me "what
do you mean all the pictures are missing?????"). Don't assume that I am bagging on
people for writing crappy tutorials. Lots of them need fixing for technical reasons - not
content reasons.

Quote:
The original post said "You may send it in...with pictures if you can, if not that is ok too.
It doesn't matter if we get 10 different ways to make a round bead... something that works
for one person might not work for another. The more the merrier" Originally sounded like a
fun lighthearted little book that everyone would enjoy. Kind of like a community cookbook
or something. So what if we get 4 recipes for banana bread, everyone's taste is different.
Sounds totally different now Too bad.
That's the way the other people felt about it. I feel differently. I've done this many times
before and seen the results when you try and put together something using lesser quality
images and unedited text. Why should I spend all this time to put together a book when
I can just invest a few more days and work with people a bit more and make this project
really shine? I'm not expecting or asking people to be Tolstoy here. Just giving them a
few requests so that their tutorials are as clear and as understandable as they possibly
can be. Isn't that what you would want from me?? I don't have a lot of money to blow on books -
I'd rather spend it on glass and tools. I'm assuming you feel the same way too. Wouldn't you
rather invest your hard earned money in a book with clear step-by-step tutorials and bright clean non-fuzzy pictures?

Quote:
Don't even know what to say. It's a bummer for all involved. Bummer if you submitted your tut and
it was not one of "the chosen ones". Don't give up. There are tons of us newbies (or at least still
making beads like we are) that really need your help. Please post them in the tuts for us
We will ALWAYS APPRECIATE IT.
There were hardly any "non-chosen" ones. Matter of fact, the main bulk of non-chosen ones were
due to the fact that the authors wanted them pulled for publication in other sources (to which I
applaud their decision and am very excited for them!) . The others are still in the works, I am working
very hard to clean them up, make sure the pictures will
show up well and make sure that the text makes sense and the spelling is all correct.

I know that any errors in ANY of these tutorials will most likely reflect badly - not on ME - but on the
AUTHOR of the tutorial. I would feel terrible if that were to happen. I want everyone to shine in this book
- from the total beginner submitting for the first time to the seasoned expert sharing their thoughts. All it
takes is a little bit of effort from me and a little bit of cooperation from those who have submitted, and
we can make this really great.

Old 2007-02-11, 8:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
As for my post being "negative", I would invite you to reread it and rethink that.
I reread it and still think it's negative.

Quote:
That's the way the other people felt about it. I feel differently. I've done this many times before and seen the results when you try and put together something using lesser quality images and unedited text. Why should I spend all this time to put together a book when I can just invest a few more days and work with people a bit more and make this project really shine? I'm not expecting or asking people to be Tolstoy here. Just giving them a few requests so that their tutorials are as clear and as understandable as they possibly can be. Isn't that what you would want from me?? I don't have a lot of money to blow on books - I'd rather spend it on glass and tools. I'm assuming you feel the same way too. Wouldn't you rather invest your hard earned money in a book with clear step-by-step tutorials and bright clean non-fuzzy pictures?
Actually the "feeling" I got from the get-go was it was going to be a fun "booklet" not some high-tech, high dollar book. Infact the first post said it would be compiled into a booklet. I was thinking it would be a fun little book of tutorials from people of various skill levels for people of various skill levels. I thought it would be more like a community book of tutorials where you could see 5 different ways of making a flower. Some tuts with pictures, some with horrible hand drawings and some just scribbled notes. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a fancy how to book, there's enough of them out there already. Besides it sounds like it would be so expensive it would no longer be a fund raiser and more of a "help us pay this off so we can break even" kind of book.

I guess for this project I was hoping it would be more of a quantity rather than quality thing. Maybe I misunderstood the point of this.

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2007-02-11, 9:19pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Okay - here are my responses - now that I have cooled a bit.
Okay - then should I really have been on the lsit of people you had that you were waiting to hear from?
How am I supposed to contact you if I have no idea that's what I am supposed to do?
Yup - you're on the list. Nope, I still haven't gotten to it .
It was just a quickie email post that I knew one or two of those people would
see. They did, and I fixed those tutes up. Sloppy on my part, but well intentioned.

Quote:
I did not get that particular email.
I didn't send it yet (<-me, banging my own head against the wall )

Quote:
That's all fine, I am sure. Even though I personally bristle at the term "hand-holding".
But I am sure that's just me.
You are not one of the ones needing "hand-holding". Some people are more unsure of
themselves and are requesting that I give them a lot of help. I am glad to assist in
any way, shape or form that I can. For others, like yourself - it's more like me just
saying "here's what I'm missing - can you please change/fix/correct/switch this".

Quote:
That's fine, but this professional, polished idea was not the original intent. Neither
was the idea that this would be a printed book for people to purchase. It was supposed
to be a pdf file given to those who donated to LE. This was changed without any notice
at all.
Well....that's my fault, and I accept full responsibility for it.
It actually DID start out as a tutorials book. Then it sort of slid downhill to a PDF file for
download, and then it just sort of petered out. I think it's a grand idea, and I'd been waiting
with baited breath for it to come out. When no one seemed to be able to find the time to
do it (and it IS taking a LOT more time that I figured it would) I had enough love for it to
want to see it happen, so I volunteered to pick it up and run with it. I felt that if all this stuff
was cleaned up and made pretty, it can look really nice. It's about %50 of the way there already,
so why not go ahead and do it. Frankly, if people just want to have a free printout of most of these
tutorials, they can go to the tutorials section and copy it into a WORD document and print it out
on their injet printer.

What I'm trying to do is take those tutorials (and a few others), clean them up, make sure that they
are readable (and that they MAKE SENSE), put the best quality picture along with it and make it
available in a nice printed book with spiral binding and room for notes. Again, it's not costing anybody
anything to have me put this together. No one is being forced - or even guilted into buying it. I'm doing
this because I think it would be a really
neat thing to have, and because I think that it will help bring in a few bucks to this
forum. The only thing I'm getting out of this is the satisfaction of a job well done and
probably carpal tunnel syndrome.

I just hope when this is over everybody still loves me enough to sign my casts and
maybe send me some RAOGK chocolate - but I won't hold my breath .

Quote:
Again, I understand, but with all due respect - the bathroom gets flushed daily. If you're trying to
contact someone, it's best to use PM rather than a general thread in an obscure room. Your posts
make it clear that you are waiting on me and others on the list to get back to you about our tutorials.
Again - I'm still at stage 2 of this process. None of you know this, but I was only given the
final go ahead to even DO this from the powers that be here FOUR DAYS AGO. I've been
editing, formatting, and sorting all this without even knowing if I was even going to be
allowed to see it happen. I didn't want to go full charge ahead emailing, PMing and basically crawling
up everybody's butt to get tutorials out of them and then find out that
it wasn't going to happen.
Of course, now that I've gotten the official go ahead, I guess you all can look for me to
be crawling up your collective butts (so to speak).

Quote:
Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, I already have it up on my website, and have for some time, because it
looked like this project had fallen by the wayside, and because your project was originally not something
that was going to be printed. Lizabeads told us we would retain copyright, and that she was okay with us
submitting things that had already been published, etc. This was completely informal - a pdf gift for those
donating to LE.
You will still retain copyright to your tutorials. The contract I am working on (to be sent out
as a FINAL step to those who are in the book) will basically state that this tutorial is by
you, and no one but you holds the copyright. It will give me permission to publish it in this
book and make it available for sale to anyone wishing to purchase it. So even if it's up on your website -
we could still publish it in the book.

Quote:
I appreciate the apology - thank you. I can't say I am not still a little miffed, but I am sure I will get over that in time.
Hope so. I'm not entirely bad. I knew I was going to get a lot of people pissed off at me
when I took this on - whether it was from my own handling of it, the flippant way I post,
or just the fact that people that had residual anger from the way that this was being
handled and saw me as a place to channel that anger. I'm just going to do the best I
can - and keep the big picture in mind. I'd like to see this come out, have people raving
about what a great resource this is, and then hopefully, repeat it again in a year or two
with volume two of the best of LE tutorials. I hope people have enough faith in me to
give me their tutorials and trust that I'm going to make them look the best that they can
look. And if some of those people don't feel that way now, than I'll get them next year
when I make a call for tutorials for the next volume . As it stands now, it should be fantastic
with just what I have already. I'm so impressed by the talent on this forum and the willingness to
share the knowledge. This book is just a small fraction of that.

Old 2007-02-11, 9:33pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipojasper View Post
I reread it and still think it's negative.
Sorry you feel that way. It was not intended as such.

Quote:
Actually the "feeling" I got from the get-go was it was going to be a fun "booklet" not some
high-tech, high dollar book. Infact the first post said it would be compiled into a booklet.
I was thinking it would be a fun little book of tutorials from people of various skill levels for people
of various skill levels. I thought it would be more like a community book of tutorials where you
could see 5 different ways of making a flower. Some tuts with pictures, some with horrible hand
drawings and some just scribbled notes. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a fancy
how to book, there's enough of them out there already. Besides it sounds like it would be so
expensive it would no longer be a fund raiser and more of a "help us pay this off so we can
break even" kind of book.
I guess for this project I was hoping it would be more of a quantity rather than quality thing.
Maybe I misunderstood the point of this.
Well - this is still a far cry from a high-tech, high dollar book. I'm positioning this to
be somewhere in between a lark publication and something you photocopy at the library.
It ain't Passing the Flame, that's for sure.
It IS a fun book with tutorials for beginners as well as some advanced stuff. Some of these
have great pictures and some of them have hand drawings.

However - I'm not going to put in 5 separate tutorials that all show you how to make a
plunged dot. There's a lot of stuff that overlaps - but I'm trying to make it varied enough
so that it will be a worthwhile purchase.

As for the price, it looks like it will be around the 20-25$ range, unless printing prices
change. THIS IS JUST AN ESTIMATE. I don't think that's very high - considering
that includes a donation to the forum.Most people are willing to donate money here to raffles
and other fund raising efforts - this would be just like that, except you'd receive a great book in the bargain.

All I can say is - I'll finish it up, put it out there and let everybody decide if it's worth
purchasing. I hope everybody does.

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2007-02-11 at 9:42pm.
Old 2007-02-12, 1:53am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Karen,

You know what, I for one would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to you for picking up a ball that never mad it onto the court! Liza did what she could and I also applaud her for what she was willing to do and for her good intentions.

What I don't understand is why everyone has such a pissy attitude about YOU donating your time to try and help get this off the ground. It seems you are getting blamed for a project that you weren't part of in the begining but still felt strongly enough to donate your time to do.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I have a friend who is a graphic designer and he has explained all the technical things that have to be taken into consideration when trying to produce a publication. I am a technical idiot, can't take a picture with the best of equipment, uhm, I have the most recent Photoshop and Paintshop and still have problems, ( big), with editing an image. I have a website that has been paid for with monthly fees that I just don't want to deal with, so I appreciate your knowledge in trying to make a nice publication that will appeal to lampworkers with different abilities.

What I don't understand is why you have to apologize so many times and you still have people who want you to apologize one more time. Stop bothering to apologize, buy the book or not, it will sell. I'd be willing to front the money for 3 books right now.

I don't know Karen, never met her, know nothing about her other than I think she has taken on a project that alot of people might enjoy and benefit from. I'm also comfortable enough with her integrity in this project to support her.

For what it's worth...
Edie
Old 2007-02-12, 5:17am
Colors outside the lines

Please, if we want to see this project proceed, let's not get into "taking sides" here. I also applaud Karen for wanting to produce a high quality booklet, but let's not forget to give a big Thanks! to the artists who have generously contributed their tips, expertise, pictures, drawings, etc. to this project. Kudos to everyone involved! I can't wait to see and buy the finished product.

Leah
Old 2007-02-12, 5:35am

And while we aren't taking sides I think it is good to remember some artists did think they were contributing to the $10 PDF file (that is all I ever saw it referred to, or a document if people couldn't access the PDF and I think that was the price for the donation to receive the file) not a book.

If people don't want to participate in a book doesn't make them bad either.
Old 2007-02-12, 5:43am
Glassass

This has nothing to do with me and please dont think I am intefering or taking sides, but from the outside......you are all great people who have got the balls to get up and give this project a good go. Well done to all of you, I couldn't do it and I admire you, I know its really difficult to keep everybody happy as well as keeping your self happy but I would be happy if the end product wasnt highly polished
The great thing about PTF were the mistakes and the fact that it was written by a real person in real speak, I love that. Please dont be disheartened, I would love to see all sorts of tutorials, sometimes even a hand drawing is enough to get the point across!
Old 2007-02-12, 6:30am
Shelley

I don't get the "It was supposed to be this, it was supposed to be that" stuff. A informal book is what I understand it has evolved to. Why get your knickers in a twist over it? Lots of people wanted something but no one wanted the responsibility. Karen volunteered. She is doing it her way. If anyone wanted something else, they should have volunteered to do it. Karen could also have been private messaged about this, as was said she should have done, but wasn't. Either send the pictures she needs that were not included or don't, and leave the tut out. Buy the book when it's done or don't if you don't like it. Easy peasy. Why get all puffed up about it?? Just my 2 cents.
Shelley
Old 2007-02-12, 7:00am

Quote:
If anyone wanted something else, they should have volunteered to do it.
This is of course just my opinion, I'm sure Karen will put out a fine book (let). But have to respond because people did volunteer to help. I'm not sure all the reasons offers were declined so I won't speculate. Also still just my opinion, but I don't think anyone has anything in a wad. I think some people are just deciding if they want to participate in the new venture or not. Since names of donors have been mentioned they might has well let the whole board know if they change their mind.
Old 2007-02-12, 7:36am

Hi Karen. I just want to thank you for your willingness to put so much of your time and energy into this project. I appreciate the fact that it will be a well put-together book that I can and will refer to often. I love tutorials, especially those with good pictures, as I'm a visual learner. Please don't get discouraged as there are many out here that really appreciate what you're doing for us. If you had not picked up this project it may still be sitting out there in cyberspace, of no use to any of us. Thanks, again! You are appreciated!!! Warmly, Marie C
Old 2007-02-12, 8:09am
Who me?

For the record....I don't remember if I specifically submitted a tutorial or not. I do know that I linked to a tutorial on my website. In either case, I do not want my tutorial(s) to be part of a printed book. Thank you for understanding.

Linda Campbell
Old 2007-02-12, 8:40am
ManBearPig

I sent in several tutorials a while back, and have never heard anything. Does that mean mine aren't good enough? Or does it mean that they are? Or does it mean that you never got them? I sent them both to Corri when she was organizing it and Lizabeads when this thread started, but never heard anything again from either person...

Old 2007-02-12, 10:32am

Wow, this is really, mmmm, let's say "enlightening".

Karen, kudos for taking on this most daunting task, however, today is February 12 and this is the first I'm seeing of this.

If I hadn't read through this thread, I would have NEVER known you needed something from me.

I think my tutorial probably falls under the "some are just crappy" category, so you can just take mine out.

I was one of the first people to submit a tutorial to Liza when she took on this project. I've barely ever heard another word about it til now.

Kind of disappointed in the turns this has taken.
I'll do you a favor and take myself out.

It's a shame.
Old 2007-02-12, 11:26am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I would just like to thank all the people who emailed me privately and
publicly encouraging me to continue with this. I knew it was going
to be a daunting task - just the physical part of it.

I also knew - just from my experience on being on this forum
that as soon as I started to get deep into this - regardless of
how I handled it, that the shit would start flying, people would
get pissed off and I'd probably expect a bunch to pull out.
I've seen lots of personal attacks on this forum - so I pretty
much put on my armor before I even jumped in and said I'd attempt it.

What astonishes me - and makes me just want to shake some of these
contributors who are jumping out here saying that I'm referring to them
and calling their contributions "crap" or "something slapped together for
shits& giggles" is that no one so far has even given me the opportunity
to even get in touch with them yet.

You may say -"gee Karen, how hard can it be to just send people an
email?" Not hard at all. Except several of these contributions are lacking
basic things LIKE NAMES
. Sure, I can understand someone named
"Prettybeads" might feel unhappy that her tutorial was put in the "pile that
needs work" - however - that's not the case. I don't have ANY tutorials
from her. At least not under the name "Prettybeads". If she submitted
it under another name, How am I supposed to link up PRETTYBEADS with
MARY JONES? Remember - I don't know ALL of the names of all of the
people here. I'm trying to sort, arrange and get in contact with everyone
as quickly and efficiently as possible AS WELL AS answer to all the people
here who are wondering why this is taking so long.

I'm also trying to answer to all the people who are wondering what it is
I have to work with, and I'm trying to give information about that too.
What probably should have been the wisest path to take was for me to
just be non-communicative and just do it, but I wanted to assure the
community that I was working hard on this and getting the job done.

At this point, if I was a normal person, I'd probably say f-it and get out while
my hide was still intact. However, no one has ever accused me of being
normal - or sane for that matter. I'm going to slather on the bactine and put
some band aids on and push through all the negativity.

I'm going to stop communicating on this project for a while, and give people
a chance to either cool down or forget about it. I will still be working on it.
I will not drop the ball, and I will not let the other 99% of the forum that
is eagerly awaiting this down. Not my style.

If you were one of the really great, fantastic, awesome people to submit
a tutorial for the original book, I WILL be contacting you soon to ensure that
you will still be participating.

If you are one of the people that has ever posted a tutorial on this forum, I
will be contacting you to see if we can use it. I may ask you to modify it, and
if you want to and have it included, great! If you don't then that's entirely
your call.

I will, as I get closer to the actual publication date, be requesting pictures for
the gallery page too. I already have so many beautiful pictures along with
recipes that my friends have submitted for usage. I think this will be the
best part of the book.

Just for the record, I've deleted the original post #81 that offended and confused
so many people. I had thought it would help explain where things
stood, but too many people chose to use it as a cause for fighting, and that
just won't do. I never intended anyone to feel slighted or hurt by anything I
said, so the less I say the better.

Please - if you have any questions about any tutorial the YOU PERSONALLY
have submitted, please PM me and I will respond to you ASAP.

It breaks my heart to see people posting complaints about imagined slights and
non-existent insults to tutorials that I probably haven't even READ in an attempt to
cause others to drop out of this project. Because that's what your doing when you
post that your pulling your tutorial - you're saying "if you're not with me you're against me".

Please- no more negativity. No more posts about pulling your tutorials.
If you want out - you are welcome to PM me and I will remove you
from the publication. If you want in - PM me and I will be glad to
add your tutorial. I have enough confirmations that it IS a go, and
it WILL be stunning. I personally am putting together a few tutorials
because I want to be a part of this special project, I am very
excited with how it is progressing, and I look forward to the day
I get my copy in my hands.

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2007-02-12 at 11:47am.
Old 2007-02-12, 11:39am

EDITED because I think I have my monster under control today.

Karen, kindly take my name out of your post.
I do not want to be used as an example.
I did nothing but voice my opinion.
On top of which I also gave you kudos for taking on such a task.
But you didn't see that part did you?

Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Last edited by sleekbeads; 2007-02-12 at 11:44am.
Old 2007-02-12, 11:47am
ManBearPig

Like I said, I just wanted to know if you got mine or if I'm just wasting my breath. Nobody has told me anything as to whether or not they even got it. I e-mailed it with all my contact info.

Old 2007-02-12, 11:57am

I'm really looking forward to it too - Thankyou Karen!
Old 2007-02-12, 12:06pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Like I said, I just wanted to know if you got mine or if I'm just wasting my breath. Nobody has told me anything as to whether or not they even got it. I e-mailed it with all my contact info.
Hi Cosmo!
Yes, I have a vortex marble tutorial from you!
It looks GREAT! I will be PMing you as soon as
I get to that section of the book (I need whatever
contact info you want me to put on there).

Old 2007-02-12, 1:17pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Hi Cosmo!
Yes, I have a vortex marble tutorial from you!
It looks GREAT! I will be PMing you as soon as
I get to that section of the book (I need whatever
contact info you want me to put on there).
No problem. PM me when you get to that point and I'll send it to you.

Old 2007-02-12, 1:22pm
Bobby

Default Go For It ! ! !

My 96 year old Papa told me that if you can't go forward with the changes in life you get left behind ! ! !
He was a great man ! ! !

Thank you Karen ! ! !

Bobby
Old 2007-02-12, 2:38pm
sunscreen me baby

Holy Cow. Karen, all this thread has done for me is put you higher up on a pedastal. I think you totally Rock!

~

Old 2007-02-12, 2:46pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Holy Cow. Karen, all this thread has done for me is put you higher up on a pedastal. I think you totally Rock!
Thank you SuziQ, your words mean more to me than you have any idea....