No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-01, 3:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B. View Post
Here's my offer, Kalera. I'm pretty good with computer stuff and other software. If you ever decide that you want to organize your series into a sellable .pdf tut, let me know - happy to help.
Thanks, Vicki! I've thought about making a recipe book, sometime. That might be a fun project! I don't know about selling it... maybe donate proceeds to BOC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-01, 4:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Hi Kalera,

the post says you used an amber base ... can you tell me the specifics & frit for these please.

Thanks!!!

And FYI ... I'd be willing to help with the sellable pdf as well ... been a graphic designer for almost 20 years!!!! It would be fun to do and I would hope you could include techniques as well ... just sayin;
Those are Gaffer Silver Clear over Uroboros Medium Amber.

Old 2011-02-01, 4:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAF View Post
This is the most generous thing I've seen on Lampworketc!!!
I love these beads. Would love to know your recipe.

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12509
Thank you!

These are BE French Vanilla, heavy silver foil, BE Fuchsia medium frit (LOVE that color) encased in BE 1101 clear.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 7:37am. Reason: add pic
Old 2011-02-01, 4:10pm

Thanks again - I've got some BE rods and I guess it's time to try out some of their frit. Good timing too - I see they are now selling it in 5 oz jars!

And are there any other jewel tones (besides fuschia) that you particularly like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Oh! Sorry, I got mixed up... I should have known you were referring to the Cove beads! Those are all medium BE frit, but when two or more pieces bleed into each other you get a bigger "pool" in that spot.

Last edited by PattyK; 2011-02-01 at 4:14pm.
Old 2011-02-01, 4:19pm

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Kalera! Mediterraneo is the set I'm intrugued by: http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12434 Stunning!

Old 2011-02-01, 4:40pm
Angie09

Thanks Kalera ... does anyone have a source for the R-108 other than Olympic (I can't buy 1/2 kg ...it's just toooo much!)

And who carries the most Gaffer frit too???
Old 2011-02-01, 4:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Thank you!

These are BE French Vanilla, heavy silver foil, BE Fuchsia medium frit (LOVE that color) encased in BE 1101 clear.
Thanks for all of the info!

I'm also glad to find another person that loves to use the pink gold colors over silver foil. I really love the colors that result. I have a bunch of Bullseye powders and some frit. I really need to get some more! Maybe, they will have some new rod colors out on Thursday and I'll get some frit, too!

Old 2011-02-01, 4:56pm

For the Gaffer frit: http://www.gafferglassusa.com/default.asp
Old 2011-02-01, 4:58pm
sunscreen me baby

I'm really hoping there are some fun new sp's this time around too. It's been a while and I need to place a big order.

~

Old 2011-02-01, 4:59pm

Angie - That Frit Girl has R-108 by the ounce. She has quite a few Gaffer frits too.

http://www.thatfritgirl.com/category_25/Opaque.htm

Quote:
Thanks Kalera ... does anyone have a source for the R-108 other than Olympic (I can't buy 1/2 kg ...it's just toooo much!)

Old 2011-02-01, 5:12pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK View Post
Thanks again - I've got some BE rods and I guess it's time to try out some of their frit. Good timing too - I see they are now selling it in 5 oz jars!

And are there any other jewel tones (besides fuschia) that you particularly like?
Oh, yes! Cobalt 1114, turquoise 1116, deep royal purple 1128, emerald 1417, sunset coral 1305, dark rose brown 1109, aquamarine 1108, garnet 1322... I know there are more, as well! BE has so many incredible transparents.

Old 2011-02-01, 5:14pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutEvDesigns View Post
Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Kalera! Mediterraneo is the set I'm intrugued by: http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12434 Stunning!
Thank you! These are also Bulleseye. First I make a stringer out of transparent emerald, turquoise, cobalt, and avventurine green. I make a base bead of French Vanilla, wrap it in heavy silver foil, and make a couple of wraps around the bead with the stringer. Then I melt it in and encase in 1101 clear.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 7:39am.
Old 2011-02-01, 5:26pm
sunscreen me baby

Kalera this thread is amazing! I am getting so many ideas from your posts. Thank you.

~

Old 2011-02-01, 5:36pm
I'm a lilac!

Bullseye can only be used with Bulleye COE 90 glass... I buy mine directly from Bullseye Glass Co. because it's in my town, but I understand it's usually cheaper to buy it from one of the vendors here on LE. I can't remember who all carries it but I'm sure others will chime in!

Old 2011-02-01, 5:36pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Kalera this thread is amazing! I am getting so many ideas from your posts. Thank you.
Thank you! And you are welcome!

Old 2011-02-01, 6:07pm
put a bird on it

You are so sweet to do this! Would you share on this stunning boro set?

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12055
Old 2011-02-01, 6:07pm
><>

Om gosh! This thread is a lampworker's wet dream!!!!
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-01, 6:08pm
Wait.....what?

Thank you for your generosity Kalera!

I will have to save some pennies to get some frit like that. I have a very sick friend who would love a small set like that to make a little jewelry with.

Old 2011-02-01, 6:16pm

Kalera
I'm so impressed with the volume of work you have.
and it is so beautiful.
thank you for your generosity.

I can't wait to do something with the tobacco frit that has been
sitting around taking up space forever.
Old 2011-02-01, 6:21pm
in my happy place

Kalera, you're so nice! I remember a few years ago asking you how you made a particular bead (I think it was on WC) and you answered me right away telling me how you made it and what you used and I always thought you were so nice to share that with me! Thank you for your generosity and for taking the time to share your techniques with everyone!
Old 2011-02-01, 6:39pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Quote:

spruce pine batch company in north carolina will sell smaller quantities of frits etc.. just make sure you tell them you are a lampworker, not as furnace person. and they wave the minimum amounts

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-02-01, 6:46pm
Flaming my life away

Kalera, what a lovely gift to the LE community. I'm amazed by your ability to keep recipes on such a huge collection. The whole idea is so inspiring, I can't wait to go play with some underused frit!
Old 2011-02-01, 6:48pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeche View Post
You are so sweet to do this! Would you share on this stunning boro set?

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12055
If I'm not mistaken, that's a base of GA Agua Azul with GA Amazon Bronze frit in size 25. Now, I'm not totally sure, but I think that base may be a cane, and not solid Agua Azul. One of the things I like to do with that color is make a cane that is NS Extra Light Yellow over Agua Azul over clear. I pull that out and use it as a base for encased frit beads. Plain Agua Azul also makes a gorgeous base but you get some wispiness and haze with the cane that I like, as well as a hint of translucency.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 7:43am.
Old 2011-02-01, 6:49pm

Amazing. I think I just need to start playing with my silver foil more. I've always felt like I should economize with it, but the way you get not only color changes but an almost seeded effect with it underneath the transparents ... beautiful. Do you think that's because you use foil instead of leaf? Burnished really well?

Quote:
Thank you! These are also Bulleseye. First I make a stringer out of transparent emerald, turquoise, cobalt, and avventurine green. I make a base bead of French Vanilla, wrap it in heavy silver foil, and make a couple of wraps around the bead with the stringer. Then I melt it in and encase in 1101 clear.

Old 2011-02-01, 6:49pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank all of you! You are very welcome, and you have my profound gratitude for all the mental, emotional, and professional support you have given me over the years.

Old 2011-02-01, 6:50pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutEvDesigns View Post
Amazing. I think I just need to start playing with my silver foil more. I've always felt like I should economize with it, but the way you get not only color changes but an almost seeded effect with it underneath the transparents ... beautiful. Do you think that's because you use foil instead of leaf? Burnished really well?
Yes, the different weights will give you extremely different effects; the heaviest foil gets tiny balls of silver that will give encased beads a wonderful sparkle.

Old 2011-02-01, 7:09pm
put a bird on it

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, that's a base of GA Agua Azul with GA Amazon Bronze frit in size 25. Now, I'm not totally sure, but I think that base may be a cane, and not solid Agua Azul. One of the things I like to do with that color is make a cane that is NS Extra Light Yellow over Agua Azul over clear. I pull that out and use it as a base for encased frit beads. Plain Agua Azul also makes a gorgeous base but you get some wispiness and haze with the cane that I like, as well as a hint of translucency.
Thanks so much, Kalera! Great ideas to play with. Think I will be ordering some Amazon Bronze frit tomorrow for sure
Old 2011-02-01, 7:21pm
It's about having fun!

If you are really bored, lol you said you'd answer any question! ;c) I wanted to ask someone, I melt random glass sometimes just to show the family, look, this was a beer bottle! lol I broke a mirror and wondered what would happen if I tried to melt a piece... any theory!
Old 2011-02-01, 7:37pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
If you are really bored, lol you said you'd answer any question! ;c) I wanted to ask someone, I melt random glass sometimes just to show the family, look, this was a beer bottle! lol I broke a mirror and wondered what would happen if I tried to melt a piece... any theory!
I think most mirrors are silvered with, well, silver, so it probably wouldn't be bad, though I think that sometimes they're silvered with lead or aluminum. I don't know if I'd take the risk...

Old 2011-02-01, 7:47pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Those are seriously beautiful beads. You are one of the few people that I think makes gorgeous frit beads.
Ditto to this. I have no actual questions: I'll just sit and lurk on this thread and pick up your awesome recipes! You should seriously consider doing a book or e-book complete with pics.

This is so generous of you. Thank you so much!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.