Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-05-01, 6:56pm

Default Light Box

Looking into purchasing a digital light box. Not sure what one is good. When I was in Tucson at the Holidome I recall seeing some but cannot find the info on them. Anyway I want an all in one unit. One with light on the base and sides. Has anyone purchased one they are happy with.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa
Old 2011-05-02, 8:48am

Are you talking about a light tent? With a lightbox on the bottom? I am unfamiliar with the term digital light box.
Old 2011-05-02, 4:12pm

Default Light Box

I am talking about something like this image. But I was trying to find the guy who was selling another style in Tuscon. Hope this helps, Lisa

Old 2011-05-02, 6:13pm

Is there a particular reason you want an "all inclusive" style like that?
I don't know who makes them. But, if you are just wanting a light tent to shoot your beads may I suggest reading this tutorial: http://www.digital-photography-schoo...ive-light-tent

There certainly more expensive and professional set ups. But, this is a really good budget way to get quality results.
Old 2011-05-02, 7:45pm
ManBearPig

I made one myself using PVC pipe and white rip-stop fabric. I've described it so much I need to probably take some pictures of it. The whole thing cost me under $40 including the lights.

Although, I do have this one too - http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics...tography/a205/

You can probably find stuff like that elsewhere too, but I had a gift certificate to that store. It works well too. Plus it folds up and fits into a case the size of a laptop computer so it's pretty portable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-02, 8:32pm

I use a milk jug with the bottom cut out and a 3" hole cut in the top. I still get highlights from the incandescent bulb though, maybe I should try two lights oposite each other.

J. Krishnamurti

[url]www.BlownAFuseGlass.etsy.com
Old 2011-05-02, 8:36pm

Default light box

I want an all inclusive for the sake of room. I take pictures at my business and am limited on space. I do not want to mess with lights etc. I just want to turn it on and take the picture.

It makes me crazy that I cannot find the vendor that was selling them at the Tucson Show.
Old 2011-05-03, 6:20am
ManBearPig

I've seen similar things at www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uorescent.html

Old 2011-05-03, 7:46pm

I would also check ebay, they usually have affordable compact ones that work great.
Old 2011-05-14, 7:01am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Lisa,
Have you seen this one? Is this kinda what you are looking for? http://www.bestlightstudio.com/produ...-feedback.html

Old 2011-05-15, 8:48pm

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried this. I like that its all one piece together no extra lights.
Old 2011-05-16, 4:15am
Angie09

This is probably what you are looking for ... they are terrific!!!

http://www.mkdigitaldirect.com/produ...g-systems.html
Old 2011-05-16, 4:45am

After doing research on these all in one light boxes that I thought I wanted, I am finding out that they are not big enough to put a necklace in with a large necklace bust. Unless you want to spend thousands. I want the ability to take pictures from the top and front of the box. I did check out (Best light studio) and need to see if you can take from the top.
Thanks so much for all the advise.
Lisa

Last edited by lhbeads; 2011-05-16 at 4:47am.
Old 2011-05-16, 5:09am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogee View Post
I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried this. I like that its all one piece together no extra lights.
Marion, I am seriously thinking of getting it, will let u know if I do. That is what I like about it as well cause I am horribly space challenged.

Old 2011-05-16, 5:14am
Angie09

They are about 11" high but you can turn them on their sides for a taller bust. I have found it works fine for shooting necklaces ... I just needed to find a 9-10" bust that would work. You can also shoot with the front door open giving you more space as well. It has stopped all the issues of getting the light right and I can shoot day or night ... doesn't matter. I have taken a small corner in the jewelry room for it, set the camera on the tripod and shoot and shoot and shoot. The lower the table and do the shots from above. I am photo challenged and HATED taking the pics but now it's just one, two, three and very little Photoshop work on them.

And, yes, it's pricey! But the hours and headaches (not to mention to cuss words in front of my grandchildren!!) have made it worth every penny!
Old 2011-05-16, 5:58pm

Sounds like you need a light tent rather than a light box. Or maybe light panels. Of the two, I think the light panels offer more versatility and are pretty cheap to make.

Mike
Old 2011-05-21, 7:35am
Pyromaniac

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

DIY Light tent, collapsable, inexpensive, extremely versatile (if you build it that way). It's what I plan to build to replace my POS cube thingy which I hate a lot.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-05-25, 11:26pm

My wife and I bought a cloud dome to shoot her enamels before we got into lampworking
these are highly regarded in the enamelist groups
they have extension collars to allow for taller objects.
we have been very happy with ours

#C-151