Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-05, 4:37pm

Default Baleen Bead-Michael Barley

Hi,

Word on the street is that the new tutorial for Michael Barley's Baleen Bead will be coming out soon. I've been intending to put this together for a couple of years. I guess I'm kind of slow. There's a saying that when life hands you lemons, you should make lemonade. Well, that's what life did. Thanksgiving weekend I broke my arm. Since I couldn't make beads for a month, I took the time to finish the tutorial. I had already taken the pictures a long time ago. I just needed the time to sit down long enough to put the steps into words. I'm planning to offer it for sale on my Etsy store right after I get home from teaching in Austin around January 21 or so.

But, if you want a chance to get an advance copy of this tutorial, you can enter a drawing to win a copy. Here's all that you have to do. Make a donation to the Center Valley Animal Rescue. It's a no kill animal shelter that is run by an amazing woman named Sara and a host of volunteers. We met Sara many years ago when she started working as an assistant to our vet. In the beginning, it was Sara and her boyfriend who started taking in unwanted animals. After working all day at the vet's, she went home to her other full time job taking care of the animals. Over the years, volunteers started showing up to help. She still works at the vet office but with help from volunteers and donations, the CVAR has expanded into a non-profit, 501C3 organization, so all donations are tax deductible. Here's a link to the website: http://www.centervalleyanimalrescue.org/index.html

Here's the deal to win an advance copy of the Baleen bead tutorial. Make a donation to the Center Valley Animal Rescue. For each dollar that you donate to Center Valley Animal Rescue, you will get one ticket and a chance to win. Donate $5.00 and you get five tickets. Make your donation directly to CVAR via paypal(there's a paypal link on their website). After you have made your donation, email me letting me know how many tickets I should fill in with your name. Remember, dollars add up. If a hundred people give a dollar each, $100 will buy a lot of cat food. Here's the link: http://www.centervalleyanimalrescue.org/index.html

But wait! There's more! Donate now and in addition to a copy of the tutorial, you will win the actual bead that was made following the directions in the tutorial. See the attached picture below.

But that's not all! Not only will you win the tutorial and the bead, but Andrea Guarino is offering a copy of her tutorial for making her beautiful Moth Wing bead. Now how can you pass up a deal like that?! So click on the link to Center Valley Animal Rescue right now,http://www.centervalleyanimalrescue.org/index.html ,make your donation of any amount and then email me letting me know how many tickets you want. This offer won't last forever. The deadline to be included in drawing is at midnight on January 19. Drawing will be held on January 20. Andrea will draw the winning name and I'll contact the winner directly. Good luck!

Thank you very much.

Michael

www.barleybeads.com
Old 2010-01-05, 4:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I am so happy that you finally wrote this up as a tutorial even if it took a broken arm to do it (but I am sorry about your arm). I took a class from you a couple of years ago and learned this technique from you then but I still want this tutorial!

I love the raffle idea - I'll probably donate and it looks like a good cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-05, 4:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Finally!!!! Yay!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-05, 4:48pm
da General

Woohoo! Thank you, Michael, for making one of my wishes come true!

Off to donate . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-05, 4:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Made a donation - I emailed you at beadlebarley at yahoo.com - is that correct?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-05, 4:55pm
Storm Queen

It's about freakin' time.

Old 2010-01-05, 4:55pm
Mad about Glass

Sorry about the broken arm. Thanks so much for writing this tutorial. I've been waiting ages for you to come to Oz to teach so this is marvellous.

[url]

Old 2010-01-05, 4:59pm

Hi,
Thank you very much! Oh yes, I suppose my email would be helpful. Here it is:

beadlebarley@yahoo.com

Yes, I am a bit slow sometimes but eventually I get around to doing things.

Michael
Old 2010-01-05, 5:07pm
Broken

Sorry about the broken arm! How cool are you donating to the animal shelter!

Psssttttt I've seen a preview of this tutorial and it ROCKS!!!

Old 2010-01-05, 5:12pm

What a great way to start the new year!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-05, 7:32pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

I love animals and I love your beads. I donated!

Old 2010-01-05, 7:36pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I took your class up in Travers City and have great notes but there is nothing like great photos! Sorry about your arm.

Old 2010-01-05, 7:39pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Excellent Michael.... I will donate what I can this friday (payday). Thanks for finally creating this tutorial. I'm wondering how many "Awha" moments there will be! Take care of the arm of yours!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-01-05, 7:53pm

Wow...I am so excited! I've wanted to take your class for a while now but haven't been able to make it happen. Can't wait for the tutorial!
Old 2010-01-05, 8:40pm

Donated! What a great idea.
Old 2010-01-05, 8:43pm

Talking

YEA Michael! I can't wait!!!

I actually work for 2 different animal rescue organizations but will donate to your cause most definately too. Thank you so much for doing this and I'm sure Sara is so greatful for your support.

Hope your arm heals up soon! (I hope I win)

all the best, karen

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2010-01-05, 9:03pm
Lover of Life

Love the Baleen bead, love Andrea's Moth Wing bead, love the bead that's created in the tut, LOVE LOVE LOVE animals, and love what this organization is doing for them. Thanks Michael for this great opportunity. Made my contribution today!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2010-01-05, 9:45pm

Donated!! I love the Baleen Bead and I love animals!
Old 2010-01-05, 10:48pm

Hi Everybody,

Thank you all for your generosity! Sara is going to be so surprised. Thank you also for your thoughts concerning my arm. It is healing well after the surgery and lots of little screws to hold everything together. I started making beads again last week. I need to get my arm back in shape in time for my class in Austin next week. But it's like riding a bicycle and felt really good to get back on the torch. Now I have to get started filling out all of of the tickets with people's names. I didn't expect to have to fill out so many!
Michael
Old 2010-01-06, 2:10am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

well Michael you will have to get an EMS for the easy use also helps with booth arms...
Katja
Old 2010-01-06, 2:41am
Beadmaking.nl

Hi Michael,

Writing al those tickets is perhaps a good practice for your arm. I am so happy for Sara, what a great Idea.
She got also 5 dollar from me.

Old 2010-01-06, 3:24am

What a great thing to do! Very excited about the tutorial and best wishes on healing!

Old 2010-01-06, 6:10am

Wow! I will wait for this tutorial - the beads are magnificant!

Old 2010-01-06, 10:36am

Default can't wait!

Glad the rumor is true and so sorry about your arm! Hope all is well with you. Sent some money to the rescue. We've always had dogs, can't imagine life without them although I'm not so sure about all dogs going to heaven. I'd spend eternity caring for a zillion dogs when what I really want to do is learn to play the piano. Which will take an eternity I'm sure!

You have an Etsy shop? How 'bout a link?
Old 2010-01-06, 12:06pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

What great news Michael... (not about your arm, so sorry about that) and what a wonderful cause! Made my donation too! I remember that you were so nice in answering my emails and giving me advice. I really appreciated that! Can't wait for your tut!!

Thanks again - Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2010-01-06 at 12:19pm.
Old 2010-01-06, 1:17pm

Woohoo ... now can I wait until January 21st?

Old 2010-01-06, 2:06pm
Normal is Boring!!

Times are certainly hard but I can always help a fur friend!! Sent mine.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2010-01-06, 2:34pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Sorry about your arm! I donated-all my dogs and birds are rescues, and it's such a hard job!

Old 2010-01-06, 2:57pm
Did someone say SALE?

Lovely idea! Sent my donation!

Hope the arm does well for all the names you have to write.
Old 2010-01-06, 3:10pm
Knob Creek Glass

Wonderful Michael. I did not take good notes in your class!