Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-12-27, 10:43pm
Sheila

Default Considering an exhaust hood?

I've spent many hours reading archives on several lampworking forums, asking questions (thanks for the answers, Mike and Amy!), and looking at my options. I finally decided on the small $325 exhaust hood from Glasscraft. I found that it was the cheapest ready-made solution, and I really don't have the tools or desire to fabricate my own hood.

I got it all installed tonight, and I am so excited I had to take a sleeping pill, or I would have been up all night playing with my torch!

I would highly recommend it to any of you who are still trying to figure out your exhaust system. It was easier than I thought (and kinda fun) to cut the hole in the wall. And the people at Glasscraft are really nice. I'm lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance from them.

I have played around with a HotHead on occasion for the past three years with fans and two open garage doors. I got a minor burner and oxy concentrator for myself for Christmas, and I wouldn't even consider upgrading to one unless you're prepared to buy an exhaust system first. I thought I could play around a little without a proper exhaust system, and I was wrong. I limited myself to two hours a day, and after three days I felt irritation in my throat and lungs and a "tickly" cough. My nose has been stuffy and irritated, too. I wasn't using anything but glass--no foil or enamels or anything like that.

And, btw, the propane tank is sitting outside the garage door. I never once considered putting it in the garage with my workbench, because of everything I read here. Without that big of information, I would have never thought twice about putting it in my studio.

Thanks to everyone here who has shared all their knowlege and warnings about fumes and propane!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-12-30, 9:27am
Floral Obsessed

Good for you for making safe decisions! A good exhaust system is important, and while setting it up can be a little challenging (come on, be proud of yourself - you did it!) it is possible for anyone who really tries. Congratulations on following through with what you knew was safe, and thank you once again to all our Safety Gurus out there who have been explaining, arguing, defending, and explaining again patiently for all these years! You know who you are and from posts like Sheila's, you know that you make a huge difference!!! Thanks for posting, Shiela, and enjoy your new torch and exhaust system! -Heather