No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-05, 8:10am
Procrastinate Now!!

Question Frit Question

Anyone know what's up with the Light Tobacco Reactive Opaque Frit from Val?? Here's a pic of a few of today's beads. The top one is dark ivory, the middle one is half clear and half white, the bottom one is regular ivory. All covered with this wierd frit. I didn't cover the middle bead all the way.. actually only half of the bead got frit... but it spread until all you can see of the base colors are what you see in the picture...

It seems to form a coating over the glass and doesn't allow the glass to flow the way it should.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2005-07-05, 9:03am
I'm a lilac!

I love this frit; part of me wants to keep it to myself and not tell anyone how wonderful it is, but I can't resist telling because you'll have so much fun with it when you know what it does! Use it with other frits; it is especially reactive with opaque reduction frits, and does wonderful things if you put this on first and then layer other frits on top of it. It's really beautiful on opaque colors like Lapis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-07-05, 9:09am
Procrastinate Now!!

Thanks Kimberly!

Kalera ~ Do you have any pictures of beads you've made with this frit? I use moretti glass.. I worry that if I put too much frit on a moretti bead it will crack. What kind of glass are you using it on? Should I put it on sparingly... somewhat like the middle bead above? The first and the third bead were coated in the frit, and that obviously constricted the glass.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2005-07-05, 9:27am
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom
Anyone know what's up with the Light Tobacco Reactive Opaque Frit from Val?? Here's a pic of a few of today's beads. The top one is dark ivory, the middle one is half clear and half white, the bottom one is regular ivory. All covered with this wierd frit. I didn't cover the middle bead all the way.. actually only half of the bead got frit... but it spread until all you can see of the base colors are what you see in the picture...

It seems to form a coating over the glass and doesn't allow the glass to flow the way it should.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

If you don't want it you can send it to me.... teehee!!!!

Seriously, if anyone knows where to get some (besides Val's b/c I just looked and she doesn't have it listed but maybe she'll have it again)

Stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-07-05, 10:13am
One Crazy Mama

AlexM carries it in her ebay store. She is an LE member too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5008552258

Old 2005-07-05, 11:13am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I try to avoid using a reduction frit on a reactive base (ivory). Or..if I use the reduction frit it is the teeny tiniest bit as it does GROW on a reactive base.

Old 2005-07-05, 12:00pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
You can also get it "from the source" at Olympic Color Rods in Seattle. They are mail order and VERY nice to deal with. If you tell them you are a lampworker and beadmaker they will fall all over themsleves to help you out. They are trying really hard to stock the sizes and amounts of cane and frit that people want. The more beadmakers and lampworkers call them and ask for stuff, the more stuff they will be providing that we can use easily!!! Nope, I don't work for them, just a very loyal customer. Here is the link

http://www.glasscolor.com/

Have fun!! They have a very nice website. But be aware, the have photos of the frits on BLOWN vessels. The colors may look quite a bit different when used on beads!!!!!
Kim, I've ordered from them before and they do bend over BACKWARDS! I just can't afford my fav TONOFRIT right now!!!

I'll be checking with Alex's ebay listings too....

I think I have some kind of tobacco color at home, gonna have to play with it tonight again! (ya know, posting at work sucks when glass is at HOME!)

stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...