Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-04-21, 8:14pm
Dichro Addict

Default Close up filters are amazing!!! :)

I am so excited. I have been having problems getting crisp shots of single beads and I've been seeing posts talking about close up filters being the way to go instead of expensive macro lenses. So I went to Ebay and paid $20 for a set of macro filters for my camera. I just popped the +2 one on and look at the difference in clarity! Amazing. BTW, this is a custom bead I'm working on. Kind of a mother's ring concept which explains the wild color choices.

No filter:

Filter:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-21, 8:15pm
Dichro Addict

Did I mention this cost me a whopping $20??? I am beyond excited!!!

Old 2009-04-21, 8:26pm
da General

Awesome, Lenora! So glad it worked out well for you! I love my close-up filters too!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-22, 6:15am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Oh! I do too! They do wonders!

Old 2009-04-22, 7:05am
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes... But its also about the QUALITY of the filters too....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-04-22, 1:18pm
Mary Lockwood

Wow, that is a great improvement!

Old 2009-04-22, 2:24pm
Dichro Addict

Thank you Mary! I can't wait to take more pictures of single beads. I used to dread it and now I can't wait!

Old 2009-04-22, 10:32pm
Tacki

PM me the link please! My photos could use some serious work.
Old 2009-04-23, 2:46am

Just beware the purple fringe

Low quality filters can tend to give you some colour aberrations along edges of high contrast.
Old 2009-04-23, 7:06am
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarre View Post
Just beware the purple fringe

Low quality filters can tend to give you some colour aberrations along edges of high contrast.
That is good to know. Sony sells a more expensive one, so I may invest the $60 in that one now that I know what they do.

Old 2009-04-23, 5:05pm
szglassy

Great picture!!!!!!!

What kind of camera do you have?
Old 2009-04-25, 5:56am
Just a bit DOOPY DOO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
Great picture!!!!!!!

What kind of camera do you have?

Yes I would like to know this too................

Are they for DSLR's or compact or point and shoot - (yes you can tell i don't know a lot about cameras

Michelle
Old 2009-04-25, 6:31am
Dichro Addict

Those were taken with a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2. I have a Nikon D40, but I prefer the Sony for bead pictures.

Old 2009-04-25, 6:49am
Just a bit DOOPY DOO DAH!

Thanks Lenora, that's helped me understand it a bit more
Michelle

BTW nice bead wish I could do dot precision that well.
Old 2009-05-07, 3:26am
Porcelain Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
Those were taken with a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2. I have a Nikon D40, but I prefer the Sony for bead pictures.
That's the Sony I have! Can you share a link to the filters, please? I feel like pulling my hair out when I am trying to get good close ups.

Great picture, Lenora.

Melinda
Old 2009-05-08, 12:03am

Ok would someone PM me too!! Thanks !

Old 2009-05-08, 6:49am
Dichro Addict

Here's a link to the one I bought. You have to make sure it is the right one for your camera. These were very inexpensive. There are better ones out there. I just wanted to try it for $20 and I was very happy. Melinda, you will need the screw on attachment that came with your camera.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130299167181

You can always just run a search on Ebay for close up filter and your camera make and model.

Old 2009-05-08, 7:09am
make beads not war

I love my filters too. Got three of them at local camera shop for about $65. I have +1, +2 and +4. I've been using the two lower ones for my bead shots.
Old 2009-05-08, 10:46pm
Porcelain Goddess

Thank you,Lenora!
I just ordered them. And thanx for mentioning the adapter... I forgot that it's still in the box.

Melinda
Old 2009-05-09, 8:11am
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda Willis View Post
Thank you,Lenora!
I just ordered them. And thanx for mentioning the adapter... I forgot that it's still in the box.

Melinda

Yeah! I got my filters and emailed the guy telling him, "these don't fit! You said they would fit and they don't!" He didn't mention the adapter and we went back and forth and finally I pulled out my manual and felt like an idiot. I did send him an email and told him about the adapter.

Old 2009-05-28, 8:30pm
Entropy increasing....

I used these with my Minolta 7000i for years to do closeup photography. They are a great inexpensive alternative to a macro lens.
Old 2009-06-07, 3:15pm
Cali4nia baby

Kevan what kind of camera do you use now ? Your pix are great !
Old 2009-08-06, 6:56am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Smile

HOLY CRAP! What an amazing difference. That is a gorgeous bead. It deserves the clarity that filter offers it.

I have a Canon Rebel XS. I'm doing some research to find out what filters I need because I absolutely need them. My close up pictures just are not cutting it and it gets very frustrating. I'm so glad I found this thread. Thanks for posting your beautiful picture.

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
I am so excited. I have been having problems getting crisp shots of single beads and I've been seeing posts talking about close up filters being the way to go instead of expensive macro lenses. So I went to Ebay and paid $20 for a set of macro filters for my camera. I just popped the +2 one on and look at the difference in clarity! Amazing. BTW, this is a custom bead I'm working on. Kind of a mother's ring concept which explains the wild color choices.

No filter:

Filter:

The little love of my life...