Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-11-11, 3:03pm

Rachel, which tutorial of Mary's are you looking to get?

Mary I'm so glad you decided to hear the people that love ya and put them back. Yippee.
Old 2010-11-11, 4:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

Yay Mary! Thanks for putting these back up!

I just finished spending money a couple of hours ago but I'll have to get these ASAP. Woo hoo!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-14, 7:20am
Isinglass Design

I too am glad your tuts are back up, Mary. I have heard excellent reports about them from so many people. And now I'm thinking maybe I do need one, just in case I ever decide aquarium beads are not over my head!

Laurie
Old 2010-11-14, 9:21am
Night Person

Long thread, great stuff! The consumer speaks for their money by making, or not making purchases - the price the author starts at is always subject to the wallet vote. If the author didn't sell any at the higher prices, they'd lower them or stop making them. If they DO sell, well... don't hate the author, hate your shopping peers that apparently have more money than you to keep the price "high" in your eyes. LOL

Personally, I've gotten burned on a couple tutorials I felt were a waste which makes me gun-shy to try more. I've been thrilled with 3 out of maybe a dozen?

Any tutorial I'd consider has to be a couple bucks under $25.

Why that magic number? The risk of the "unknown" tutorial has too many 'known" good alternatives.

At $25, you lose me to Amazon - I can buy 2 real books with free shipping! And I can base choices on the reviews of other customers who aren't afraid to post critical/negative reviews for fear of being ostracized from their community Without the Amazon option, I can find silver glass on sale somewhere and pick up a 1/4lb that will make me several dozen "known" gorgeous beads before taking a risk on an unknown-value-to-me tutorial.

I have a ton bookmarked though!! I'm always hoping for a sale, or the buy 2, get 1 free deal that brings down the individual prices.
Old 2010-11-14, 11:20am
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Sorry, I DO give written instructions for the beads and techniques I am teaching. The instructions are also put on a CD for each student. I wanted my students to be able to watch what was being shown without trying to draw, write notes and watch all at the same time. I also include copies (written and CD) of my tutorials for each student. At last count, the document the students receive in my class is over 120 pages.

The instructions include the glass types and colors used and steps for each bead or technique. Not being a perfect being, I am sure I miss some things in my instructions or questions are asked during the demos that are not addressed in the instructions, but having to take only a few notes is much better than having to write down everything. I think my students appreciate the notes.

I started out reading this thread with the intent to add my comments, but I decided to wait 24 hours before I did so. It is way past 24 hours and I still think I should wait to comment on the original topic. Hits very close to home for me.
I wish this would become a standard for all teachers.

Sara

Old 2010-11-15, 12:59pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Wow, just now do i see this thread. Must confess did not read every single post...

I myself have many Tutorials and i am greathfull that they have been written by great artists who spend a lot of time, glass en there for money for getting to where they are today.

As i live overseas it would be costing me too much money to attend a class. so having tutorials is a great alternative.

I have written 3 E-books/Tutorials myself. ( secretly writing my next one )
I am one of those who have them priced on and over $ 25 ( to be exact $20 / $25 / $27.50 )

So it is funny to read that people are not willing to pay $ 25 for information they can have to their convienence whenever they want or need it. However they would be willign to spend much more money for a class...

and....

For example my E-book that costs $ 27.50 covers 6 silverglass colors, 2 ways on making snaketrails/caterpillars. How to make silver glass murrini and 2 ways to apply them.

Basicly what you would liek is for me too keep the price under $ 25, right?
So i could make em $ 10 for each section 6 silver glass colors, snaketrails/caterpillars and another one on the murrini making and application.

so that's 8 tutorials all together. Now call me stupid if you wish. But charging $10 each would cost you $80 to get them al.......

The same goes for many of the other Ebooks/tutorials out there. they cover many techniques and information. Making the E-book/tutorial cheaper means getting less ifnormation.

Need i say more....

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-12-07, 7:10pm
Bead Maniac

I may be late on this thread ...here's my 2 cents...when people ask me how long it takes me to make a bead in my store , I say 15 years because they are a culmination of all I have learned in 15 years ....Personally I have not taken many workshops so getting a tut from my favorite artist is a wonderful treat. I have a small collection, its sorta like collecting all those bead molds, I try them out and put them on the shelf sometimes when my creativity well is dry I pull them out and get inspired. You just can't put a price on it. I must say I have bought a few tuts to realize , I already knew that, its just the way the artist used the technique that makes it special. Some are a bit over price perhaps and some may be under priced. If we are willing to pay the price asked then I guess the price is right.
To all those how take the time to share their secrets ...Thank you...you have saved me airfare and crappy hotel rooms ....

My blog.

Old 2010-12-08, 9:52pm
It's about having fun!

Take heart dear tutorial writers.... It's like this to me.... I can sit with a group of people and drink coffee and listen to them all discuss what's in the newspaper... and that's all fine and good and entertaining and nice and I'm sure I've learned something ..... but I still want my own newspaper.... so I can read every word and don't miss anything and spill my coffee on it..and reread it... I want my own newspaper.... and hearing about what's in it from the group didn't discourage me from getting my own newspaper....actually quite the opposite....I think a lot of other people are like that too...Your tutorials will always appeal to the likes of us...

Last edited by jonibird; 2010-12-08 at 9:57pm.
Old 2010-12-15, 11:48pm

Wow! I have finally taken a moment (!) to read all the posts here, and I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of many of the arguments, on both sides (or several sides) of the tutorial issue. I think it is important that we all work towards some sort of acceptable standard for e-info ethics, and I feel like maybe the surface is getting scratched! I do love my tutes and most have taught me tons! That part was never at issue for me.

I have ceased printing all but the summary/tips pages, for now. HP ink is the most expensive liquid, price/gallon on the planet...that is a fact! But the info so many of you have shared has been priceless. I don't think anyone will disagree with that at all.

I will say, once again, that once a technique is mastered, and has become part of one's skill set, it seems like that individual now "owns" it. JMO

Anyway, I just wanted to say to Amy of AKDesigns: You may not remember this, but I actually begged to be allowed to pay you for a storming tutorial! And thanks, it is fun!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-12-16, 11:17am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon View Post
Anyway, I just wanted to say to Amy of AKDesigns: You may not remember this, but I actually begged to be allowed to pay you for a storming tutorial! And thanks, it is fun!
You and a boat load of others. I'm glad people are having fun with it. I love seeing stormed beads as I browse eBay, Etsy and the gallery here.

Old 2011-01-02, 12:17am

Yeah, but Amy? no matter how many I see, or do, yours always seem to be head and shoulders above...so, i just keep trying!!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2012-04-02, 8:36pm

Default 2 cents

I know it is an older thread.. could not help myself.

I confess; I did not read every post. Hopefully, I got the jest.

I can see where you look at a stack of tutorials and realize what you invested. You would sort of freak. However, My take is that we don't buy (or at least I can't) buy one tutorial after another every day. I buy them as I can afford them. So once I have them together it would appear I spent a lot at one time. Money is tight for us all. I by pass lunch for a day or two and I am good to go for another tutorial that will give me more lasting pleasure than the greasy sandwich.

Now for the other side. I don't know how to make great beads, yet (LOL), let alone write a tutorial. So koodos to those that do. I have purchased several since finding LE and I could not be happier with them. Hell, I am happy I found LE! As a matter of fact I am constantly looking for more of the things I like. Which is key. I purchase what I like and drool over. hehehehe. We are all our own worst enemies on that one. Yep, I print them too. I don't know why.. LOL have not figured out how to look at them, look at the glass, keep from getting burned and turn the pages all while keeping the bead warm. LOL

Sharing a tutorial, hmmmm. I don't see an issue with sharing with a friend. Copying and selling copies or even giving them away I am not so keen on. If someone wants the tutorials, then they should purchase it for themselves.

Now for the final question. (from me anyway) and mostly to those of you who write the tutorials. When tutorials run their course and they become old news or you have up graded or changed or whatever. Why not still offer the old tutorials, just in case newbies (like me) would like to get them. Even if it were through LE, so you would not have the listing cost? Just asking? "please"

Mary don't you dare leave me.. I have more to purchase from you. LOL and waiting for more to come. Diane I have yet to try your fish.. I am scared. LOL I am a whimsy animal addicted person.

Thank you for the discussion. THANK YOU for all the tutorials, free and paid, Thank you for being there to help the newbies with our repeat questions. You, and I mean all of ya's, Rock!