No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-10-27, 6:23pm
Somebody's watching me!

Default Philips or Aura

I have been using shade 5 philips ( http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...ducts_id=84522 )

I still feel like my eyes have a recovery time when I'm done. Is this normal from being so focused on something close for so long? Am I not using the right kind of glasses for my already sensitive eyes?

I never hear of huge philips fans...but i do hear of huge aura fans. Is this because one is better than the other?

I'm usually over my slight headache after an hour or so. Any input would be helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-27, 6:46pm

The headache can be a problem of focusing on something so intensely or even just holding your breath.

Don't know much beyond that - I use a shield from Aura and have no issues. I also use excellent lighting - 2 65w bulbs in reflectors about a foot and a half above my hands. I think this can keep eye strain down, and at the very least it keeps the pupils from dilating which prevents more of the bad rays from getting in.
Old 2010-10-27, 10:39pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
at the very least it keeps the pupils from dilating which prevents more of the bad rays from getting in.
good point. my lighting is ok...not great, but more light def wouldn't hurt anything. I saw some cheap florescent workshop lights at lowes. 20 bucks each. maybe ill get a couple of them. they come with chain and everything.

I'd still like others' input on the different brands though.

Old 2010-10-28, 7:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Most of the glass used in welding and lampwork glasses come from same sources and meet (or should) industry standard specifications. Where the difference comes in is the quality of the grinding work and the frames.

Although Aura has supposedly better reputation for superior lenses, the baggage that come's along with dealing with AURA products has to make one consider other alternatives...

Better lighting in work area is definitely a plus, specially as we get older it seem we need more light to work by...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-10-28, 8:38am
Glassmangler

Read this thread first: http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...op+taking+meds
Old 2010-10-28, 12:53pm
Somebody's watching me!

Well...from what Dale said about the source of materials and what Jester showed with the link...I'd be crazy to try to find anything else than what I have. I'm just going to add more light...if nothing else, it will help reduce the problems I do have.

Thanks everyone!

Justin

Old 2010-10-29, 8:08pm

If your not teaking appropriate breaks - resting the eyes by refocussing on objects at further distance etc from time to time during a session - you can certainly experience symptoms like you mention.

When I first started watchmaking - there where days my eyes felt like golfballs (hot ones at that) burning away in my skull.

When your concentrating hard - its really easy for the eyes to almost clamp open - and you wont notice it until later when the effects come back to bite you.

I think either brand's product could\should suit you -but training yourself and your eyes on dealing with the conditions is an important part of the equation.
Old 2010-10-29, 10:18pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I have a pair of split lenses from Aura lens, and I LOVE them.
My eyes have felt so much better since I got them.

That said, I read quite a bit, and was aware of all the delays and
problems with ordering from them - so I didn't go into it blind
(sort of a pun there, get it ). It took me forever to get them,
and I had to send them back once because they were scratched.
However, they handled the exchange quickly and efficiently.
This is my 2nd pair from them, and I'm just as happy with these as
I am with the other pair.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-10-30, 6:58am
tweetysweetie

I own pairs from both companies. My Phillips are for everyday soft glass torching and my split lens from Aura I use when working boro.
Ditto on what Dale said.

Old 2010-10-30, 12:08pm

Phillips a thousand times over. They will bend over backwards to make their customers happy. Long story short .... had some boro-scopes ... lots of $$$ ... lens kept popping out .... put up with it ... put up with it .... but then the nose guards feel out .... I called Phillips .... after a year and some of having those glasses they took em back and for $40 bucks sent me a brand new pair, lenses and all and the new style frame without the rubber nose guards .... Great people to work with and GREAT customer service. 2cents
Old 2010-10-30, 12:38pm
I'm a lilac!

I am happy with my Aura glasses, but not with their business practices. The only negative things I've heard about Philips were from Aura.

Old 2010-10-30, 12:38pm

Phillips Assurance (sp?) frames are the best - solid metal, with spring hinges, gripper pads on the earpieces, and independently moveable nose pieces will do wonders for the fit, and if they fit correctly and stay in place, you will get less eye fatigue. A strap to keep them in place during hot days too.

I also have an 8' flourescent light above my bench, and make sure to get the full daylight, 6500K color temp bulbs for full-spectrum lighting. Even 5500K bulbs aren't bad, much better than the 3500K or "soft white" bulbs.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2010-11-01, 4:49am

Do you work boro or soft glass? Both AUR and Phillips make eyewear specifically tailored to the specific IR/UV emittance signatures of each. I agree with other folks here that you may not have enough light and are straining to see. However, if you're trying to use eyewear intended for soft glass but are working boro, even with the #5 shades, it might explain some of what you're experiencing. If you haven't done so already, you might want to review the absorption specs for the lenses you're using under your #5's to make sure it has the right rating for the glass you're working (and if you bought from an outfit that doesn't disclose their rated absorption ranges, I wouldn't use them!!). If the ratings are ok, and adding more ambient light to help you see better solves your issue, fabulous. If you're still getting a headache after a bit, you might try working with your eyes as far away from your work as possible (ie arms length/standing) if you aren't already. That can help if your headache is in part due to IR/UV sensitivity.

Good luck!

Linda
Old 2010-11-01, 6:57pm
Somebody's watching me!

thanks linda. im working boro. i linked my shades above. ill double check the specs though! still have yet to hang an extra light..i have a 4 lamp T8 fluorescent fixture i got off of a job a while back. im going to hang it.

(ps: im an electrician, so rest assured i know what i'm doing..ha)

Old 2010-11-02, 5:42am

I looked up the link - not much info, but I believe Phillips' site has the absorption curves for their products.

Some of the boro folks on this board have mentioned using a blast shield in addition to their eyewear. The one I was interested in claims to have both IR and UV absorption characteristics, although I couldn't find out from the vendor how much. Might be yet another avenue for you if adding light doesn't help enough.

Linda
Old 2010-11-02, 3:46pm
Somebody's watching me!

A blast shield may be in my future. I'm in such love with GTT since i got my cheetah not too long ago i've already started saving for a mirage or phantom! Ill certainly buy a sweet marver/blastshield combo. Next on the list though is ventilation (i know, i know. it should have been much higher on priority list, but i've got a fan i put in the window to pull air out and a fan behind me. also it's a three car garage and i open two of the doors.)

anyway, i hung a new light. the color temp is a little yellow (you can't tell in the pic) but I'll get some bulbs next time i'm out. thanks for everyone's input and help!
Attached Images

Old 2010-11-02, 7:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

If its a four tube fixture try two cool white and two warm white tubes....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-11-03, 10:39am
Somebody's watching me!

So, I've torched all morning and not even a hint of a headache. Yay!

Last edited by Bakerman44; 2010-11-03 at 12:58pm. Reason: typo from cell phone post!