Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-11-24, 12:21am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Default Ring tutorial (mandrel made)

Hi all,
I have a new ring tutorial on my blog using ring mandrels. Please look, and if you feel that I need to write it better/clearer, please let me know. Also, if you want any additional info, I will try and help where possible!

I also have another tutorial on my site, also in the November chapter ...

Kindest regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Art of Hand; 2008-11-24 at 3:18am.
Old 2008-11-24, 7:52am
Who me?

Nice, thanks. I'd have never thunk it myself.
Old 2008-11-24, 8:56am

Diana:

Very nice tutorial. Was able to follow well and I'm a newbie. Now I want to play! Where do I get mandrels for rings if you don't mind me asking?

Kat
Old 2008-11-24, 10:17am
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for the tut I have to go home now and print it out. Great instructions.

Old 2008-11-24, 10:29am
Critter Mom

I have a graphite ring mandrel and never thought about using the big hole mandrels for ring making. Where do you find all the sizes (or do you have a special someone who makes them for you) ? Thanks so much for the Tut.

Old 2008-11-24, 10:35am

Thank you for the tut. I too wonder where you get the different size ring mandrels in U.S.A.
Thank you again,
Janet
Old 2008-11-24, 10:44am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Hi all, thank you for the compliments. please use it, and post pictures!

I had them made for me, here is South Africa. At one stage I did offer some in a swap, but I really do not have enough time to do it again. A machinist shop could do it, that is what I did - ok, my b/f knew the guys, but still. and then I just had the big thingies welded to mandrels

Old 2008-11-24, 11:56am
I speak Murrini!

Very nice...!!!!

I would love to get my hands on some of those ring mandrels (wink!); maybe someone else can host a Bulk Buy on them (no, not me - I'm already scraping for torch time!)

I'd love to see some photos of finished rings - I have one I can post here, just to kick it off! This was done WAY BACK - when I'd only been torching for a few months (wonky dots and all!), so I know once you get the "footprint" and "heat bath" (maintaining even heat) concepts down, you can do it, even if you're fairly new!

This is a plain old one - simple yet it IS in my wedding colors, so here you go - a bit of inspiration!

Now show some pictures, peeps!!!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-24, 12:17pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

DeAnne! thank you for posting you lovely picture! Love it!

Here is some of the rings that I have made (and what I did with the ring mandrels other than making a ring ...):

Last edited by Art of Hand; 2008-11-24 at 12:19pm.
Old 2008-11-24, 12:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Ooo, so pretty!!! I remember drooling over that Ivory/Silver Glass and Silver Toggle/Leather bracelet when you showed it in Gallery not long ago! Love all the rings!!!!

Woo Hoo...gettin' the par-tay started!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-24, 1:45pm
Fancy Mammal

Thanks for that! That's going to help my wonky rings
Old 2008-11-24, 2:07pm
NW Oregon

I liked you Wavy Ribbon tutorial. Both of the tutorials are great...clearly explained with great photos.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2008-11-24, 2:10pm

Wow thanks for another good tut! Becky
Old 2008-11-24, 5:18pm

You can just use a regular jewelers' steel ring mandrel, which makes everything from sizes 1 to 15 or so. I talked to somebody at Arrow Springs about it, and they suggest using them as lampwork mandrels. Theirs is $22 and does not have size markings, so you have to buy a cheap set of ring-sizers from just about any jewelry-making supplier, usually for just a few dollars. I used my wedding ring to mark my size so I could try it out while waiting for a sizing set. They are slightly awkward to use, as the large end is over 1" across, but it works! Just coat the desired section of the mandrel with bead release, and go for it. Scroll down the page to see at http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

Birdy
Old 2008-11-24, 10:25pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Birdy, that could work, but would be so damn heavy, and you will have a lot of heat transfered to the end of that thick stick. Also because of the continued thickness of the 'mandrel' you will battle to maintain a hot area to work with. I really work these mandrels in the flame, and things do get hot in my studio!

I had my ring mandrels made for me. Any machine shop will be able to cut/grind the hardened steel ring bits for you, and then have it welded onto a thinner mandrel. I used some 3 mm mandrels that I had. The first lot were all on old slighly wonky mandrels.

I would love to see what you are all coming up with, and if you need any advice, just pm me. Thank you for the positive comments!

Old 2008-11-24, 11:14pm

Default Ring sizes for mandrels

Diana,
You said the harden steel was 20mm wide , what is the the size of the harden steel (ring size) around it.
Thanks for your help.
Janet
Old 2008-11-25, 12:32am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
You can just use a regular jewelers' steel ring mandrel, which makes everything from sizes 1 to 15 or so.
Wouldn't this produce a ring that was not exactly "flat" on the inside. I use to work at Friedmans jewelers and the ones we used were tapered. Woudn't this produce a ring that was slightly larger on one side than the other?

Old 2008-11-25, 4:55am
Knob Creek Glass

Somewhere I saw a chart that matched mandrel size to ring size. Anyone have it?
Old 2008-11-25, 7:51am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I do not have that chart, but I use mandrels that is 16, 17, 18 and 19 mm in diameter. It gives my clients a good choice. For bigger sizes I will make a ring slightly thicker and just grind it down a bit with my flex shaft tool. (similair to a dremel, but easier to use!)

Old 2008-11-25, 8:00am

Default Thank you for info

Thank you for the info on the diameter size. I appreciate your help.
Janet
Old 2008-11-26, 7:33am

Thank you for this tutorial. It is very clear. I also enjoyed the stripy tutorial and your blog. Congratulations on your climb. Joan
Old 2008-11-30, 12:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post
Wouldn't this produce a ring that was not exactly "flat" on the inside. I use to work at Friedmans jewelers and the ones we used were tapered. Woudn't this produce a ring that was slightly larger on one side than the other?
Yes, it does make a slightly tapered ring - but it's a very slight taper if the ring is narrow, like 1/2" or so.

This type of mandrel isn't the "perfect" tool, but it is an inexpensive way to try glass ring-making. You can invest in better mandrels if you find that you like making them. Besides, the tool is really useful for all sorts of wire work and general jewelry making. I use mine frequently to form bails, large jump rings, etc. that I want to make an exact size.

Birdy
Old 2008-12-03, 4:12pm

That is exactly the way I make rings, too. Thanks, Diana, you Sweetie, you! ♥

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-12-04, 2:08pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Thank you everyone for the nice comments regarding my tutorials. I really enjoy playing with glass and fire, it it is nice to give a bit back.

Old 2008-12-04, 3:49pm

would love to see more pics of rings for inspiration.
tutorial was very easy to understand, thanks for sharing.
barb
Old 2009-01-30, 6:22pm
Tassie Devil

Thank you for the ring tutorial - it has actually helped me with some issues I have in making BHBs. I also really enjoyed the other tutorial of the wavey ribbon bead - must have a go at that! I love making gravity beads.
Old 2009-01-30, 10:48pm

Fab Tut,thank you so much.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-02-08, 12:05am
Not so 'junior' member

Thanks for the tutorial, as soon as my kiln is fixed I'll give them another go - I got totally frustrated last year when glass and beadrelease joined and continued to come of the mandrel

Glassy
Old 2009-02-08, 9:58am
runs with pruning shears

I know you7 posted this quite a while back... but I have not been around much, and just saw it.

I really enjoyed your tut!
and the pictures on your site. What a beautiful place you live in.

Thanks for posting it, and your generosity in taking the tiem to do it.
Aloha,
Elise
Old 2009-02-12, 5:27am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Elise, it is a pleasure!
Everyone, please feel free to contact me whenever you have problems with the ring tut. I have easily made more than a 1000 rings to date. I have experimented a lot with different styles, etc. And wear a soft glass ring every day. I am sort of deliberately hard on the rings, and never remove then - a quality control thing ...

One thing I can say - never hit a mozzie on the wall with a glass ring on your finger! It will break. But we play ball in the pool, and although I always tell people to remove the ring when in water, I never do it myself, lol. Most of my glass rings is scratched from wear and tear, but still intact.
Please rather sacrifice a nice thin comfortable ring for a thicker band, as it will ensure that the ring last longer ...