LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-08-26, 3:21pm
i'm not dave

use a magnet on them. magnet won't be attracted to aluminium.
Old 2011-08-26, 3:41pm
Uh Oh....

The "newer" metal bobbins are steel coated with a thin layer of nickel. Not sure what the vintage bobbins are made out of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-26, 5:38pm

I received my chop sticks in the mail today and picked up some bobbins! I can not wait to try this! I have been sick and not torched in what seems like forever.
Old 2011-08-28, 6:38am
Lampworkaholic!

Silly question -- do black metal bobbins work in addition to the silver stainless?

It's hard to tell from the photos if the bobbins were black or darkened in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-08-28, 6:40am
Detail G-Mama!

I've never seen black bobbins in the stores, they are always silver but they turn black in the flame and the kiln.

Old 2011-08-28, 7:21am
Lampworkaholic!

Like these:

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-08-28, 7:27am
Detail G-Mama!

Hmmm, I'd never seen black bobbins before. It's still prolly gonna go black in the flame and the kiln.

Old 2011-08-28, 7:46am
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Anne. I'm just wondering if the black metal is safe to put in the flame. I guess I can experiment.

Old 2011-08-28, 7:48am
Detail G-Mama!

Just make sure you have good ventilation when you do burn it!

Old 2011-08-28, 11:25am
Your Royal Fritness

A quick note on bobbin color. I like the bobbin with a nice even black look to it. I can keep it this way if I do not hit it with a reduction flame. So if I'm using a reduction glass I only hit the glass with the reducing flame. If I hit the whole bead with a reducing flame the bobbin tends to look sooty and not clean. Moral of the story is keep the bobbin out of the flame as much as possible... unless you like the sooty look

I struck out at JoAnn's with the smaller bobbins. They did not carry them in my neck of the woods. They did have the same one's I buy at walmart but were a couple of dollars more! Looks like I will buy them from eBay.

Erose I've never seen the black bobbins before. Please let us know how they work out.

What Anne said about ventilation! I can't preach this enough when working with metals.

Old 2011-08-28, 12:18pm

I tried one yesterday. Took forever for me to fill the bobbin and then a long time to get the outer part smooth. Are there any tricks?

Chris S.
Old 2011-08-28, 12:46pm
Uh Oh....

Black metal bobbins are also steel with a nickel plating on them that has a colorant in it. I believe they would react the same way as the silver metal bobbins in the flame, though I haven't tried.

Old 2011-08-28, 1:33pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Donna use a smaller rod of glass so it melts faster and you can direct the flame right onto the rod of glass right above the outside of the bobbin edges. Warm the rod of glass up about an inch or two before you start too. If you are seeing sparks you have the bobbin in the flame which is not good. I wind my glass up above the bobbin edges and then roll it on my marver to push down the glass into the bobbin. Once you get close add a little glass at a time because you don't want to over fill the bobbin.

Dawn
I add glass just to the center of the bobbin and then push it in until it fills out the whole bobbin. Once you have the glass in the bobbin it really holds up to the heat nice. The trick is not to hit the bobbin edges with the heat until you have it loaded up with glass

Chris this is how I do it. Sorry for the cut and paste. I'm not skilled on the multi quotes yet, lol.

It does get easier once you make a few and get the feel of it.

Dawn

Old 2011-08-28, 3:39pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

A couple more from me..
Old 2011-08-28, 3:42pm

Old 2011-08-28, 4:04pm

Those are gorgeous Bluhealer. I like the colours on the bottom blue in particular, but the sort of tiger pattern on the top two look fantastic!

Very neat job too!

Nat

Old 2011-08-28, 5:25pm
Your Royal Fritness

Wow those beautiful Bluhealer!

Old 2011-08-28, 8:03pm

Thanks, guys!!
Old 2011-08-28, 8:18pm

Lovely bobbins everyone! those tiger ones are fab bluhealer. I'm just about to hit the torch and do some more I think. I have some new ones that I need to take pics of. Wish I could find bobbins cheaper locally. A pack of 12 costs $6 here. Think I will need to hit the internet soon! Jennie

Old 2011-08-29, 3:07pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Well, I made one today. It's in the kiln right now. I accidentally got one part of the bobbin edge in the flame when I was trying desperately to get glass inside, and it sparked and scared me! Made me jump! Also I lost the outside hole where it sparked...melted. None of the rest of the bobbin was a problem, though. We'll see tomorrow, when I open the kiln, if it looks ok. It was fun, and I'll probably make more tomorrow. I scavenged my sewing box and found 11 metal bobbins! WooHoo!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-08-29, 4:32pm
Your Royal Fritness

Tillie thanks for the reminder, I have an old sewing machine out in the garage I keep meaning to rummage through. It is 50 years old and was my MIL's. Can't wait to see how your bobbin bead turns out

Old 2011-08-30, 3:43am
offically down under

Gosh, how did I miss this thread???

There are some lovely bobbins in this thread and they are all beautiful. I love how everyone is putting their spin on this.

I didn't have any chop sticks but I found that a 1/4" mandrel works just fine. Fearing that the bobbin could slid down the mandrel, I painted a bit of bead release on for insurance.

It tweaked for me that since 1/4" mandrel was the perfect size, after it came out of the kiln, I copper cored it to finish it off.
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-30, 3:58am
Your Royal Fritness

Tammy I love it!

Old 2011-08-30, 7:47am

I am having fun with these.

I found an industrial source for bobbins, and I cannot say they are better than any others, but I did think they held up to the heat well. I made these on the Cheetah, heated the metal core until just hot enough for the glass to stick, filled the core, and then proceeded to design at will. After being very careful with the first one, I really hit the second with some heat with no problem. I am guessing(!) these are stainless steel. They fit over the metal chopsticks.

If anyone is interested (I have a lot of them and can get more) $7.70 for 12. Shipping US and Canada $2.40. Shipping to other countries around $7 probably. Interested? PM is you are.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-08-30, 2:01pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
I am having fun with these.

I found an industrial source for bobbins, and I cannot say they are better than any others, but I did think they held up to the heat well. I made these on the Cheetah, heated the metal core until just hot enough for the glass to stick, filled the core, and then proceeded to design at will. After being very careful with the first one, I really hit the second with some heat with no problem. I am guessing(!) these are stainless steel. They fit over the metal chopsticks.

If anyone is interested (I have a lot of them and can get more) $7.70 for 12. Shipping US and Canada $2.40. Shipping to other countries around $7 probably. Interested? PM is you are.

Did you notice that I ordered copper tubing from you????

Old 2011-08-30, 2:56pm

Well that is to cool. Will have to start to look for the bobbins when the torch gets et up again. Hope soon.

Rose Leslie
Old 2011-08-30, 9:22pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Here's my one and only so far.
Be Kind, please...or at least wait until I log off to laugh!
It's not fancy like some of the others, but I'm just happy that I didn't burn the bobbin in two! I likes making these!!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-08-30, 9:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
Here's my one and only so far.
Be Kind, please...or at least wait until I log off to laugh!
It's not fancy like some of the others, but I'm just happy that I didn't burn the bobbin in two! I likes making these!!
Hey, I didn't show my first one....

That looks good! They are fun, aren't they?
Old 2011-08-30, 9:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
If anyone is interested (I have a lot of them and can get more) $7.70 for 12. .
No offense, but I found them at JoAnns for 4.29 for 12 in a plastic box...I'm still grumpy cause my china-mart has nasty ones that don't work in four packs instead of the 10 for 1.97 that somebody found them for.
Old 2011-08-31, 1:19am
Baalamb

This is fantastic! I cannot tell you how much I LOVE the burnt metal with the glass. I have so many friends who sew...guess what scissor-charms I will be making for them? Thanks!!