LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-29, 6:47am

Default What is the worst stress test you can give a bead??

I've made some awesome (if I do say myself) long (for me) beads. They're about 2 1/2 and 3 inches long (like I said they're long for me!) They average around 1/2 wide. They clink funny which I'm sure is cause they're so long, or I think that's why. Anyway before I put them on ebay, I'd like to know the ultimate stress test for a bead. They've been annealed properly and all that, I'm just nervous they would break the minute someone takes them out of the package. Is there anyway I can test them thoroughly (hopefully without breaking them myself??? The dropping them on the table only worked until they accidentally hit another bead (and broke the hittee).
Suggestions anyone???

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-03-29, 7:14am
Formerly SirWatson

Try freezing the bead for 24 hours. I also like to drop a single bead on my kitchen floor (pergo) to see how it does. If it can pass those tests, I'm comfortable with selling them.

Good luck! I want to see pictures of your ultra long beads!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2006-03-29, 11:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson
Try freezing the bead for 24 hours. I also like to drop a single bead on my kitchen floor (pergo) to see how it does. If it can pass those tests, I'm comfortable with selling them.

Good luck! I want to see pictures of your ultra long beads!

I tried dropping them on the table... but I have tile floors and although smaller more solid beads survive the drop on tile, I'm worried about these long skinnies. Ok they're not "ultra long" I think 3 inches is the longest but it's long to me. I'll have to figure out the picture posting thing again, I haven't done it in forever.

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-03-29, 6:47pm
Just Me

I might be just a silly, but when my kiln reads about 130-140 I take the beads out and put them in ice water. The only ones that have cracked coming off the mandrel after that are my jumbo lentils ~ have this bad habit of gawking at them when I should be keeping them warm and happy.

~Barb
Old 2006-03-29, 11:52pm

I may be the only freak here but I don't believe in intentionally trying to induce breakage in my beads. I make them, anneal them then store them in a box with all their friends for a couple of weeks before selling.
What I see happening when a bead is dropped on the floor intentionally, placed in alternately hot and cold temps. or shook roughly in a box with other beads to "test them" is actually introducing unnecessary stress in a piece that was ,very possibly, stress free before the whole torturous "test" process was completed. I may be totally wrong and someone with more knowledge may correct my thinking but I believe you are actually creating more stress in your beads and making them more likely to break in the future. If you hit a bead lightly with a hammer once it probably won't break. Hit it twice and it still may not break. And so on and so on until one day it shatters with the slightest tap of the hammer. Each and every strike has cause unseen damage which makes the bead more likely to break especially when struck in the exact same spot again and again. Each and every whack those beads take on a charm bracelet introduce a few more stress points in the beads. Eventually one of those whacks will cause a bead to break. Kiln annealed doesn't mean unbreakable. Glass does break. Hit enough times and in the right places each time and even a kiln annealed piece will break period.
So if someone can prove me wrong that's fine because I already said I may be but this is the way I see it.
But please quit torturing your beads. It's really not necessary. If you are running them through a proper kiln cycle then you have done all you can do to insure the stability. Once in a blue moon they just break even when you have done everything right. It's glass. We love the quirky stuff.

Tracey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.