No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-30, 1:12pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Default ASK 104 - Info... and how to pick glass color

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has tried the ASK 104 glass and what your opinion of it is? I am very low on glass and need to place an order - usually I am not sure what to get, colors and otherwise. I do seem to be so overwhelmed by so many choices that I just order the mixes. Any tips?

I am a newbie with high hopes of pretty beads someday soon! lol. Thanks for any information.
Old 2007-06-30, 1:25pm
Entropy increasing....

I really like the browns in the ASK colors. The silver rattan, caramel apple, silver cinnamon - I love them. I haven't used much of the others. The pink is pretty and the tribal turquoise is a bit greener than the Italian turquoises.

Some people have had cracking issues with some of the colors. I have not noticed that.

The browns do great things with raku.
Old 2007-06-30, 1:39pm

I really like almost all of them. I love the scarlet dreams, pink lady slipper and violet nights. Don't encase the violet nights. I have had some trouble encasing all of them actually so I try to only use them with the 5% rule. I love them on the surface of beads though. Oh, I love the aloe vera too. I really like all of them. I am not as crazy about the lilac ice and bahia blue. The browns are all beautiful. Maybe you could get a sampler pack. You will like them. They are all really nice and I haven't been able to burn one yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-30, 1:55pm
formerly Marella

I LOVE ASK glass!!!! The colours are really vibrant, best red around is Scarlett Dreams! Caramel Apple is fabulous. Haven't tried the blues and purples but every one I have tried I love. My absolute favourite is Mediterranean Olive. Here's a set I just made with it.

It is more expensive than Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond but worth every penny in my books! Can you tell I'm a fan???
Attached Images

~
~
~
Old 2007-06-30, 3:24pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

I <<LOVE>> the color and the beads that you posted!

I can only aspire that my lil blobs will one day look so neat! I think I am going to order a sample pack of it and also order some of the extra browns - I tend to grab browns and pinks a lot... but I still have not found a really nice fuschia pink - maybe I have dont have it in my stash! Any favorites there?

Cheers! Rachelle & Dachshunds
Old 2007-06-30, 4:29pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Dachshunds? Did I hear dachshunds? Pictures!!!

Opaque fuschia pink is something we all have been waiting on for a long, long time, Rachelle.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2007-06-30, 5:33pm

I love the ASK 104--very creamy and great colors to complement the 104 palette. The olive green is my fav too, oh, the gorgeous leaf cane it makes!

I made some beautiful beads with the turquoise, Moretti purple, Double Helix blue, just dabbed around--the interaction between the colors was fab, but I encased them and every one cracked. I was so mad, I nearly bounced the suckers off the concrete! Do not encase the ASK colors!

Nolly
Old 2007-06-30, 8:40pm
da General

I love ASK - but the lots are no consistent and do NOT encase some of the colors (Violet Night, Silver Rattan, Silver Cinnamon, to name a few), people have cracking issues.

They are gorgeous and work well together. The sheen on the finished glass is beautiful.

Here is a link to a thread on ASK:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38464

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2007-06-30 at 8:42pm. Reason: Added link
Old 2007-06-30, 9:10pm

I've come close to selling my ASK glass twice. Now, I'm really glad I didn't.
I have been making big round beads and etching them and as soon as my sister saw them she wanted to buy them! They almost look like wood beads after being etched in "dip and etch".
I followed all the helpful information I've read on LE (possibly the thread mentioned above), about holding the glass further away in the flame so I didn't burn or scorch the glass, warming the glass up first further back in the flame to prevent so much cracking and popping, and now I'm loving this glass again.
Now, I'm tempted to try some of the colors I've never purchased before like the Silver Cinnamon, Scarlet Dreams and Mediterranean Olive and Silver Rattan!
Old 2007-07-01, 12:20am

I'd love to see pictures of the ASK glass etched.
I think my favorite is using the Mediterranean Olive with Silvered Ivory. . I love the berry creamy, all the silver colors but if your low on cash any one of them will do for you at first. The Moroccan Swirl is pretty fun too.
I just need to torch more to try out the colors more than once in a month.
Irene

Old 2007-07-01, 7:27am
Life is change. Love it

They are all great colours, try them with silver, they work beautifully (some change colour though!)

Old 2007-07-01, 12:22pm

Default You ASK'd for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
I'd love to see pictures of the ASK glass etched.
I think my favorite is using the Mediterranean Olive with Silvered Ivory. . I love the berry creamy, all the silver colors but if your low on cash any one of them will do for you at first. The Moroccan Swirl is pretty fun too.
I just need to torch more to try out the colors more than once in a month.
Irene
Ok, here is a pic of the etched ASK glass, one of the pinks, probably the petal pink, but could be Pink Ladies Slipper as I have a hard time telling them apart.
Attached Images

Old 2007-07-01, 12:28pm

Oh I really, really like those. Would you believe I have a jar of the etching stuff here....Just not sure what to do. I know you just dip it for a few seconds but that stuff scares me lol. Like it'll burn me if I get some on me or something.
Yes I've heard of gloves lol.
Gotta try it though.....I love Amber's beads all etched!
Maybe today since I'm officially on vacation!!!!
Torch! Torch! Torch!
Who needs a clean and organized home???
Irene

Old 2007-07-01, 1:24pm

Irene,
You have to be really careful with the dip and etch and use good ventilation and wear gloves and safety glasses, because if this solution "dip and etch" gets on your skin, it somehow sinks down into your bones and does its' damage there, I forget what it's called, but it deteriorates your bones somehow.
Clean and organized homes are way overrated, lol.

Oh, also, if it is dip and etch, just put the beads you want etched in a plastic container and dump your etching solution on top, making sure the solution covers all the beads and soak for at least 5 minutes, longer if the solution is getting older (this was advice to me from a real pro-etcher)....then, strain and put the solution back in its' original container, and wash your beads with soap and water. I throw away all the containers (disposable plastic containers) and paper towels, etc. that I used for this process when I'm finished.

There, now you know! Hope this helps. Soon you will be an etching machine like me lately, lol.

Last edited by Carols Glass; 2007-07-01 at 1:36pm.
Old 2007-07-01, 6:10pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Wink Oh No - Its becoming a Pattern... Obsession...

LOL I am just glued to this computer today - I have encased before, but right now I am obsessed with anything that is not round - mainly looking at presses...

Ya'll would have laughed at me yesterday when I read about vinyl fence railing - I went over to my moms ranch (she just sold it) and tore down several of the boards --- the poor neighbor must have thought I was some crazy person...

Well I made one nicely shaped bead and now I am (after sorting glass) a bit on the "gotta have" mode and want to buy MORE GLASS!!!

I am NUTS!!!

(Dachshunds - well, I have figured out how to do the neat link thing, so you can visit our website and see my furkids). Have Fun!

site is not yet available

Old 2007-07-01, 8:48pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Carol - Dip'n'Etch is not THAT chemical. That's another etching solution - I forget the name of the stuff but it says directly on the Dip'n'Etch bottle that it's NOT that nasty chemical. Dip'n'Etch is safe, though should wear gloves just to keep it off the skin. It does not seep into your bones.

Irene, I keep my beads on the mandrel when I etch. Wear gloves like the kind you can get from a beauty supply store for dyeing hair.

I use a big-mouth plastic container with a nice tight lid that I keep my etch solution in. Have a plastic bowl (about 6-8 inches deep) of warm soapy water nearby. Place your beads-on-mandrel into the etch solution. 2-3 minutes for a light etch, 5-15 minutes for a heavy etch (darker colors and stubborn transparents). Pull the beads out and swirl them around in the water. Use your gloved hands to gently rub the beads, getting off as much etch solution as possible. My beads just slip off the mandrels into the water and then I go clean the bead holes somewhere else.

Don't forget to put the lid back onto the etch solution.

TIP: If you have a sculptural bead that's been etched but find white residue in the nooks and crannies, use soapy water and a toothbrush to remove the residue. Works like a charm. I find good, warm, soapy water gets rid of the etch solution so you don't have to use calcium tablets, baking soda or other things people recommend to stop the etch process. I recommend Palmolive Oxy detergent and be generous with it.

The reason I keep my beads on the mandrel is because if the beads touch the surface of a bowl or edge of a jar, it might not etch at the touching point. Nothing more aggravating than etching a black bead and then finding a shiny spot on it.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2007-07-01 at 8:57pm.
Old 2007-07-02, 8:55am

Amber,
Whew! That is such a relief to hear. Well, I should have read the bottle, instead I just followed the instructions given to me by the person I purchased the dip and etch from. I'm so glad to hear that is not THAT solution because I got some on an open wound and it felt like acid so I ran and washed it off but imagined my bones would crumble soon. I know, I'm a worrywart.
Thanks so much Amber for the great tips on etching. I have to do some transparents over for the 3rd time and now I know I can just do it longer the first time. I haven't really tried the dark yet, but will probably go ahead and use the longer time now. I will also use that mandrel for the beads. I really need to get the bigger bottle of dip and etch but it is so expensive. Any tips on where to get the bigger size for under 42 dollars???
Great advice also for the cleaning. I'm so glad the etching expert has arrived on the scene!
Old 2007-07-04, 8:24am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Carol, oh I don't know about expert. I'm just an Etch Fanatic. LOL I used to buy my Dip'n'Etch from Heritage Glass because they were pretty cheap but I don't see it on the site anymore. I went directly to Etch All and bought it - for $46.99....yeesh!

Keep in mind though - you can use the same etch solution for a VERY long time, depending on how often you etch. My latest bottle is just now starting to turn a bit brackish and I've been using it nearly every day for five months. I'll switch it out in about a month. If you etch less beads, it lasts even longer.

Side note: When you're thinking of cost of supplies, you have to think of it in terms of sales. If I sell just one focal or one set for $46.99, that bottle of Dip'n'Etch has just paid for itself and now I have nearly a year's supply worth - so the purchase is worth it. If you don't etch very much, go with the smallest bottle and know it will last for some time so it's still a value. Same thing with Odd Lot glass... If I buy a 1/4# of original Amber Rose for $35.00, which is about 5-6 rods, then make a focal from it and sell that focal for $35.00, the glass has paid for itself and I have 5 1/2 rods left of pure profit.

Sorry, don't know why I went off on my diatribe there....

Old 2007-07-04, 9:13am
da General

I just want to chime in - do wear eye protection, you never know with splash an stuff, better be on the cautious side.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-07-04, 9:25am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Hayley, true. Because I wear glasses, I don't think about it.

Old 2007-07-04, 9:58am

Amber, I appreciate that rationalization about the price of things, it will help me to purchase the bigger size soon! I thought for sure LBSupplys.com has the big one for 42$.
About the glasses, I wear reading glasses to see anything now, but I think from now on, I'll slip those safety glasses on over top of them because one thing I don't want to risk getting that stuff on is an eyeball!
One more thing, which brand is original Amber Rose, the Effetre, Vetrofond, or Lauscha, or..........?
Thanks for all your help and expertise about etching. I've finally got some dip and etch and I know how to use it, lol.
Old 2007-07-04, 10:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marella View Post
I LOVE ASK glass!!!! The colours are really vibrant, best red around is Scarlett Dreams! Caramel Apple is fabulous. Haven't tried the blues and purples but every one I have tried I love. My absolute favourite is Mediterranean Olive. Here's a set I just made with it.

It is more expensive than Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond but worth every penny in my books! Can you tell I'm a fan???
These are really gorgeous beads! I am beginning to really like the Olive now!
I just had to comment on them.
Old 2007-07-04, 10:12am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Carol, the original Amber Rose is Effetre/Moretti. So is the "new" Light Amber Rose.

Old 2007-07-05, 6:07am
Glass Addict

Amber, Where do you purchase the "new" Light Amber Rose?