Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-11-24, 6:47pm

Red face help!!!!

Hey......I am trying to set up a glass studio in my basement, since I don't et enough studio time at my craft center, I have to beg for more time, and I cannot stop thinking about glass for a year now.

I have a Carlisle CC, and I love Boro best

Unfortunately, although in books it is said that setting up a glass studio is EASY! I am having trouble finding the CONCRETE information I need to make this successful. I have tow important things to solve:

1. What size O2 tank I should get, and how do you go about "getting" it. I am not very strong, so they would need to deliver. Also, I would like to be able to play with glass at least 15 hr a week.

2. I guess ventilation is a big issue. Any sources for good fume hoods?

Thank you so very much for the help!

violeta
Old 2007-11-24, 7:07pm

Is this the big inner and outer flame (four knob) CC or the smaller mini CC? That is going to make a big difference in the answer to your first question. A mini CC can be run on a couple oxygen concentrators fairly well, or will last a while on a tank. A full size CC will need the large K or T oxygen tanks and preferably multiple tanks if you are going to want 15 hours a week of time. The problem is these weigh 100 to 200 pounds each and can be a pain to move, especially if you are trying to put them in a basement. Your best bet to get the tanks is to go to the yellow pages and start calling the welding supply places listed. You will be asking for cylinders in the 200 to 320 cubic foot size range. smaller cylinders like 150cf ones can be easier to move but would not last long on a full size CC. They will probably all have different pricing and you may find one that delivers. The problem is that since 9/11 most places do not allow the gas trucks to be on residential streets.

For ventilation, it is probably best to build your own. Most of the pre-built options are WAY under powered for what you would need. Search in the Safety forum for some good discussion of designing ventilation systems.

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-11-24, 7:46pm

Thank you ----I have the big (4 knobs) CC---- I will start calling welding places to see if this will be at all possible...

I recently looked at the Wale Apparatus web site---- They offer oxygen generators, such as the psyclone I, which, they say, would be able to run the CC at 95% (but at $2,600 cost). It seems if I spend that kind of money it should, at least give me 100% whatever that means..... Of course, if getting sufficient tank O2 is a big problem it might be that this is the best solution. What do you think? Do you know people that use these units and whether they think they are worth their price?

again, thank you much

violeta
Old 2007-11-24, 9:12pm

I was able to find a tank cart at my AirGas (national company) dealer that also secures my tanks while in use. Not sure if it would help in basement. They deliver to my gate but I have to take it from there because of our pack-o-pups.

The folks at Glasscraft have a couple of vent systems designed for lampworkers or they can suggest how to put one together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-25, 9:10am

Also when you're shopping for a tank be sure to tell them you're a glassworker. That dropped my refill price at Airgas from $30 to $10. I use a tank in my basement but have to have my husband take it up and down for me. I also have a couple of concentrators that work pretty well but I only have a Lynx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-25, 9:31am
Mandrel Slayer

Dawn

Do you know why that changed your price? Airgas in Texas knows I am the crazy glass lady but still charges me $30.

Thanks,
Bonny
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Also when you're shopping for a tank be sure to tell them you're a glassworker. That dropped my refill price at Airgas from $30 to $10. I use a tank in my basement but have to have my husband take it up and down for me. I also have a couple of concentrators that work pretty well but I only have a Lynx.

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2007-11-25, 9:48am

Hmm I don't know Bonny. They call it the glassblower's special or some such. I know General Air here does the same thing.

Old 2007-11-25, 11:02am
Melting for Glass!

Here are my two cents - Even if you have a big torch it does not mean that you will be running both the inner and outer flames all the time, if this is the case and since you have the four stud one, you can hook up the inner flame to two concentrators, and then the outer flame to a tank of oxy - this will give you a longer life to your tanked oxy. When I took a class with Tom and Sage they had a gigantic tank with liquid oxygen which I believe last a lot longer - I am considering renting one although I have not priced them - will need to consider price vs. convenience.
I have a large generator (concentrator?) - the Hurricane
http://www.unlimitedoxygen.com/hurricane.htm - and although the people that sell it say it can power a mid range torch I did no think I can get the full power as tanked oxygen for the outer flame. So I use it for the inner flame only.

About ventilation - I got mine at Glass Craft - I would recommend that route if you don't have anyone around that can successfully build one for you:
http://www.glasscraftinc.com/product/product_list.cfm
When the first started offering them, they only offered a solution for small torches - now they have for both small and large.

Hope this helps.

Cecilia

Old 2007-11-25, 12:15pm
Mandrel Slayer

Thanks Dawn. I was just looking at my bill and its almost $40 per tank with the other charges not including delivery or rental. I think I just justified the second concentrator. Of course, I am still waiting for the first to be delivered (some kinda snafu).
Thanks,
Bonny
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Hmm I don't know Bonny. They call it the glassblower's special or some such. I know General Air here does the same thing.

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.