LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-02-22, 8:23am
da General

Thank you, Tracy. I started this reference for myself coz I couldn't keep all the different names for the same glass straight! lol! Welcome to our silver glass addiction!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-03-11, 5:31pm

Hi guys. Someone just pointed me to this thread. Hayley it's a great thread! There has been so much confusion regarding renaming of colors etc and new colors coming out so fast and who is manufacturing what at any given minute!!.
Cherie,
If you bought something from me and it's not what you wanted please return it for a refund. I was told at first that the two colors were the same and then I was told they weren't. Duh. But one thing I want for my business is no one to feel like they are stuck with glass they don't want. And I have that on my website somewhere!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-03-18, 10:38am
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Thank you, Tracy. I started this reference for myself coz I couldn't keep all the different names for the same glass straight! lol! Welcome to our silver glass addiction!!!
What Tracy isn't saying is that she fully blames me for this lovely new addiction - hard to believe, isn't it??
Old 2008-03-18, 10:52am
da General

you devil you, MJ! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-03-18, 10:53am
da General

hey - does anyone know if the new Renoir a striking or a reducing glass???

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-03-27, 2:26pm
da General

post #1 updated

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-03, 11:31pm

Does anyone have any examples of Blue Buddha??? Can it be encased?

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-04-04, 7:48am
da General

TAG 104 Blue Buddha is the same as Cezanne - you may want to do a search on this forum on both names.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-04, 7:59am

Hayley
THe Green Envy is a reducing color. It will reduce to blues and greens.
The Mountain Honey is a reducing color but NOT a luster like the other two. You won't get any metalic finish on it. Also, in order for the blues and greens to appear...it has to be encased.
When it's not encased it's a boro-ish milky color with streaks in it. It's cool that way too.
Irene

Old 2008-04-04, 8:57am
da General

Irene - thank you! I just got some to play with, woohoo! If I want more - I will buy from you.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-04, 9:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
TAG 104 Blue Buddha is the same as Cezanne - you may want to do a search on this forum on both names.
Jennifer (from Trautman) told me that Blue Buddha is a little different than Cezanne. We also now carry all of the Precision colors so if you are buying glass we now have GT, DH, Trautman, and Precision.

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-04, 9:28am
da General

Paula - you are right, Jenny did say that about Blue Buddha and Cezanne but they are similar and she also said that they might change the name Blue Buddha to Cezanne so eliminate the confusion in the future.

Silver glass is different from batch to batch (I was told that it could be different from the first pull to the last on the batch!) - sometimes only slightly and sometime drastically as in the case of Waterfall. One batch of Waterfall is translucent blue in rod form and yields swirly blues while another batch of Waterfall is light transparent blue in rod form and reduces to a golden sheen.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-04, 10:30am

Sorry for the TAG Buddha/Cezanne confusion. Here is the story:
Paul Trautman, the first guy to make colored boro rod, first made some soft-glass colors at the request of Ron Bearer and Rocio. He called them Dalai Lama, Buddha and Zeus. When Rocio sold them on her site, she renamed two of the three: Dalai Lama became Dali, Buddha became Cezanne, and the Zeus remained Zeus. Not sure why....
Then when we made more, Paul did some experiments and it came out different. Quite different. So we reclaimed the name that Rocio had discarded and called that Blue Buddha, or Buddha 2 in-house, because the first batch was sold entirely to Rocio. That is the Blue Buddha that Paula has, ABR has, Winship has, Artistry in Glass in Ontario, etc.
Now we have remade the Cezanne closer to the original. I think it's best if we just consider them to be different beasts altogether. So we have relented, and will use the name that Rocio first gave this glass.
So for you, the beadmaker, the question is, what's the difference? The Buddha is more transparent and somewhat less reactive. It gets a sheen, not a mirror surface. It is a transparent glass, and has little trouble with encasement. In fact, I like it encased. The latest batches of Cezanne vary too. Some are producing that mirror-like surface, others are more streaky like the original. This one also encases well.
I realize there are people who want to get the same effect every time, every batch, but that kinda defeats the purpose of these exciting, changeable colors, right? So many things impact the final result of a batch, that it's like Christmas for us every time a color comes out.
Thank you, Hayley, for your efforts to track all this information. If this makes anyone more confused, you can write me a PM or send a message to jenny@taglass.com.
This is Cezanne, with a mirror-like finish.
This is Cezanne, a variety of effects...
This is an older shot of Blue Buddha 2. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy! but you can see the reduction on the right bead, no reduction on the left bead.
Old 2008-04-04, 10:48am

Thanks Jen!! And Hayley!
The renaming does get confusing!! I wish everyone would just use the manufacturer's name!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-04, 11:23am
da General

Thanks for the clarification and pix, Jenny! Yummy glass!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-28, 12:25pm
da General

The Second Silver Color How To Booklet is available in our Etsy Jewelry Store (link in my siggy) . . . check it out!

The Second Silver Color How To Booklet:
- 65 pages
- over 170 color images with description
- list of silver glass by manufacturers
- index for each silver glass used in the booklet
- step-by-step instruction on how to use both striking as well as reducing silver glass

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-28, 1:00pm

Thanks for all the info on the Blue Buddha, much appreciated.As for the color differences I think its all a big glass adventure.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-05-13, 4:39pm
da General

Hiya everyone . . . the Third Silver Color How To & Exchange just started . . . sign up now before it's full!

It's a great place to learn how to use different silver glass . . . post your progress, exchange tips and ideas, etc. etc!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=91758

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-09-04, 10:51am

Renoir is a special color Paul Trautman made for Rocio. It was never made by Precision.
Old 2008-09-04, 1:26pm
da General

Thanks for the clarification!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-09-04, 2:55pm

Hey, Hayley the Great! Thanks for your work, you Angel! Did I miss my new favorite toy glass, Taxco? I just edged a Fish's tail and fins w/ it, and reduced it to hopefully a rainbow. ♥ Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-09-04, 3:52pm
da General

This guide is a bit outdated since this thread has been buried since May! I have been updating only the one in my silver exchange . . . will fix this one now.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-06, 11:39am
da General

Updated list - based on another thread, TAG 104 Deep Purple is the same as Purple Davine.

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-05-01, 8:48am
Arrow Springs

Default BellaDonna Glass

Hayley,

I am a little disappointed that you didn't feel BellaDonna Glass merited an inclusion in this list. With references to Double Helix that go back to 2007 with colors probably not out there anymore, it seems that even though this line is small, it is very popular judging from our sales and we have been around long enough - so - ????

Thanks, Donna
Old 2016-05-01, 9:20am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Milliron View Post
Hayley,

I am a little disappointed that you didn't feel BellaDonna Glass merited an inclusion in this list. With references to Double Helix that go back to 2007 with colors probably not out there anymore, it seems that even though this line is small, it is very popular judging from our sales and we have been around long enough - so - ????

Thanks, Donna
Why are you disappointed? this is a 2008 thread, in its entirety. Moody Blues wasn't introduced until 2011.

I'm confused why you'd call out Hayley 8 years after she made the reference guide?

Last edited by SGA; 2016-05-01 at 9:31am.
Old 2016-05-02, 5:18pm
Living out Loud

Thank you Hayley.

Old 2017-08-16, 7:55am

Wow, quite the list. Thank you

Old 2018-10-29, 7:30pm

Thanks for a great reference
Old 2021-03-09, 6:59am

This is great! I just ordered some double helix.
Old 2021-04-04, 8:22pm

Thanks - this is super helpful