Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-01-01, 10:00pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouston View Post
LoriBird, I am hoping to avoid these transitions between torches. I don't think I can get hooked on a torch only to fall in love and discover its limitations. I don't yet own a torch. What torch do you wish you had started out with and why?
I think a lot depends on what kind of work you want to do. Small detailed? sculptural? marbles?

I started on Greg's (DH) National 8, then a barracuda, though I almost always just used the inner flame. Now I have a back up piranha and the cheetah. Greg still uses the barracuda so I just use that one, the inner flame, for my smaller floral beads. I use my cheetah for sculptural and marbles. I prefer it to the barracuda for that kind of work.

Most people I know started out on a minor. Though now that gtt has the cricket out, I bet that becomes the favorite starter torch. I really just don't think you can go wrong with a gtt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-01-23, 12:14pm

I am looking at hooking a second Integra 10 up. Anyone know what I need to use for a connector to hook two together?

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-01-23, 2:19pm

You can get a barbed T connector in the plumbing fittings section of the hardware store. They come in plastic or brass. The T and some clear tubing should run you $5 to $8.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-01-23, 10:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
You can get a barbed T connector in the plumbing fittings section of the hardware store. They come in plastic or brass. The T and some clear tubing should run you $5 to $8.
Should I be concerned about back flow with a standard connector?

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-01-24, 12:54am
sorcerer

rg9403 you cant run a cheetah on concentrators...either use tanks or liquid.

I run my Cheetah on two OG20s and am thinking of moving up to a Phantom, I have heaps of oxy, the Cheetah runs at max.
Bernard
Old 2009-01-25, 9:13am

How much psi are you getting? Theres no way your getting enough to run a phantom and i find it hard to believ your maxing a cheetah with them also. I don't doubt you can run it and melt some nice size glass...i just don't think your at max.

Maybe I'm wrong though...i;'ve never used nor seen a cheetah run.
Old 2009-01-25, 1:36pm
sorcerer

The OG20s run at 15psi and each machine puts out 10lpm this gives me 20lpm at 15psi, I had a chat with Wally at GTT about the phantom and he thought my flow was OK but perhaps the pressure a bit low for a Phantom, there are guys out here running them though on the OG20 set up. (10lpm = 20scfh)
cheers, Bernard
Old 2009-01-25, 2:18pm

yeah the oxy is there but the pressure is way too low...15 not enough for a cheetah or a phantom. I wouldn't even be happy with 15 on a lynx. Thats just me though.
Old 2009-01-28, 4:27am
boro color bender

I've got a Hurricane and two M-20s. I'm at 20 PSI on my concentrator rig and I'm pushing a Cuda to the max. I back down on my M-20s because it's more than I need. I run those two at about 4 or 5 LPM each... You can rage on concentrators... just have to get the higher PSI models.

Bigger torches really do like/need more pressure.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-01-31, 11:29am
NW Oregon

Does anyone have experience with a Cheetah and two M-15s?

~J

Jennifer
Highland Beads