Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-05-28, 9:29pm

Hi all.
Looking for properties of gases I find out this forum.
J've just registered to give you a link. I think it helps you all. It solved my problem in comparison of gases.

http://www.magtorch.com/Fuel%20Compa...ies,%20Inc.pdf
Old 2009-05-29, 9:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

And there is also this.......

http://www.magtorch.com/images/Produ...0Low%20Rez.pdf

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-07-09, 12:20pm
Old to LE, new to torch

I am about to go from MAPP to MAP-PRO because I just ran out of the MAPP I had stocked up on. I do have an old style HH torch. I have 2 questions about going to the hotter fuel. 1) Can I get around the issues others are having with burning glass because I have a truly adjustable HH, and 2) have people been able to work with harder types of glass since the switch to a hotter fuel? TIA.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
Old 2009-07-09, 1:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

MAP-PRO is not necessarily a "hotter" fuel.... It is actually propylene which burns within the same range as propane and MAPP.... There is maybe 200 degrees (f.) in any of the fuels so I doubt you will see any great difference... The only thing is since combustion sequence is a slight bit different you have have to just find the "new" sweet spot...

I do not think you will see any noticeable difference though....

Dale

Old 2009-07-09, 4:32pm
Old to LE, new to torch

Thanks Dale, that answers both of my questions then. I'm still a newbie (if you go by torch hours) so I was still finding the sweet spot anyway.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
Old 2009-07-11, 7:43am
old person/new member

I didn't notice much difference between mapp and map pro.

Old 2009-07-11, 9:38pm

I am an extreme beginner, but have had no trouble with propane dirtying glass except on my first marble beacuse there was some crap in the hose.
Sometimes, I will use a small plumbers torch from Ace Hardware that has an extremely reducing flame to get nice effects such as the red in the picture.

Some questions: Do you leave your POL adapter on your bulk propane tank after disconnecting hose/torch?

What type of cylinder does bulk propylene come in?

Also:

Filling your bulk tank in the morning vs @ noon might make a difference because ethyl mercaptan boils @ 35C so it might be less dissolved in the liquid propane in the source tank.
Old 2009-07-12, 4:25am

I just started using the MAP/PRO with my hothead at the same time I purchased a new batch of glass. I came here today to find out how to correct the issue of horrible gray mirky beads. Thank you ALL for the information provided in this thread! Now I know, it's the gas.

Again, THANKS!

Monica
Old 2009-07-12, 5:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by meker View Post
I am an extreme beginner, but have had no trouble with propane dirtying glass except on my first marble beacuse there was some crap in the hose.
Sometimes, I will use a small plumbers torch from Ace Hardware that has an extremely reducing flame to get nice effects such as the red in the picture.

Some questions: Do you leave your POL adapter on your bulk propane tank after disconnecting hose/torch?

What type of cylinder does bulk propylene come in?

Also:

Filling your bulk tank in the morning vs @ noon might make a difference because ethyl mercaptan boils @ 35C so it might be less dissolved in the liquid propane in the source tank.

Bulk Propylene and MAPP and Propane and several other fuel come in tanks that all have same connection at tank, the valve technically its called a CGA-510 (from a standards point of view) most people call it POL for "Put-On-Left" but actually POL come from "Prest-O-Lite" which is actually a brand name torch that used acetylene and air ....

Ethyl mercaptan is probably not a issue in propane because it is applied in something like 1 pound of of ethyl mercaptan per 10,000 pounds of propane, so amount of ethyl mercaptan is so small a percentage that it probably has no effect on fuel or hose or torch flame....

You can leave POL adapter on tank or take it off, makes no difference ...

Dale

Old 2009-07-12, 9:43am

What I meant was does propylene come in BBQ style tanks or scuba/oxy tanks?
Old 2009-07-12, 11:17am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by meker View Post
What I meant was does propylene come in BBQ style tanks or scuba/oxy tanks?
"Bbq style".... It is NOT a extreme pressure gas.... Has most of the same physical properties as propane and MAPP as to tank requirements...

Dale

Old 2010-07-01, 8:30pm

Default One more question...

So many posts, but to clarify... Is anyone using the HH and the blue 1 pound canisters with propane? Or are you only using the HH with bulk propane?
Old 2010-07-02, 7:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Propane comes in blue - green - brown #1 canisters, YES people use them, MAPP or MAP-PRO usually comes in a YELLOW canister....

Most people start with #1 canisters till they realize the expense of them then move up to bulk fuel or fuel/oxygen torches...

Only non-fuel application ( I'm aware of) is the RED canister that contains oxygen, but has left-hand threads on canister connection....

Dale

Old 2010-07-06, 4:53pm
Isinglass Design

I'm going to try posting this here rather than starting a whole new thread when much of this is covered here. I may be forced to switch from propylene- which I have used with good results for years- to propane. No vehicle for the time being= no trips to the gas store= getting fuel at the EZ mart.

My problem with propane? Colors that don't stay true- like nile green, and several of the aquas. Does anyone have advice for this problem? Does using a large tank help? I know it makes a difference with propylene. Do I need to work higher in the flame? Lower? Stand on my head?????
I just don't want all of my beads having random red-brown in them. I've started experimenting with a small tank I had left from a demo.

By the way, according to people I've gotten my propylene from, regular propane tanks are not rated for it- you do need a specific type of tank.

And I agree with the comments about dirty gas. I have always found it was my technique or laziness of not cleaning the glass that was the problem, not the gas.

Laurie
Old 2010-07-08, 5:24pm

I used bulk propane for 6 years and had no problems. Work a bit higher in the flame and a bit cooler and you'll be fine. There are tutorials (class notes from when I taught) on my site that may help?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-07-08, 11:56pm

Propelene likes to be worked a little differently than mapp. The smokey burnt ones are because it likes less fuel which is a little hard to do on a hot head but try to turn it down a little from where you used to work. Secondly work about an inch higher than where you were in the flame, the gas oxygen mix is better there, more combusted, not so fuel rich. good luck, I wish mapp were still in existence but cest la vie.
Old 2010-07-23, 6:18pm
Isinglass Design

Thanks NLC- going to look at your site. The issue is still unsettled, but propane is sure a lot easier to get my hands on!

Laurie