LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-26, 12:58pm

Default Connecting Concentrators

I have two oxygen concentratorsto use. One is a 10 lpm and the other is a 5lpm. Both are retired medical devices that I got for a REALLY good price. (free) I have tried connecting both together, but when I do, the 5 lpm drops down to zero. Does anyone know of any way I can get the maximum benefit?

Greg
Old 2009-02-26, 1:23pm

In addition to the flowrate (lpm), you need to know the pressure output (psi) for each machine. If one machine has a higher pressure output than the other, it will overpower the weaker machine (and possibly damage it).

If the two machines have significantly different output pressures, then I'm afraid that you will not be able to use them together.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-02-26, 1:54pm

This may be a dumb question, but is there any utility in putting reverse-flow check valves in line with either or both concentrators to avoid having the higher capacity unit from overpowering the lower unit? Or would that restrict the output of both to the point where it isn't worth bothering?

Linda
Old 2009-02-26, 2:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
This may be a dumb question, but is there any utility in putting reverse-flow check valves in line with either or both concentrators to avoid having the higher capacity unit from overpowering the lower unit? Or would that restrict the output of both to the point where it isn't worth bothering?

Linda
The reverse-flow check valve will prevent the stronger machine from damaging the weaker machine. But, the weaker machine will still not have enough pressure to be able to contribute to the total output.

Look at it this way .... Let's say that the stronger machine puts out 10 psi, and the weaker machine puts out 5 psi. Both machines are T'd together. The hose between the two machines is pressurized to 10 psi (from the stronger machine). The weaker machine does not have the pressure (at 5 psi) to push against the pressure already in the hose (that is pushing back at 10 psi).

Does this make sense?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-02-26, 6:45pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Its like "static pressure" in ventilation , "force applied" (weak concentrator) can not over come "resistance to flow" (high pressure from strong concentrator), there for flow of weak concentrator will be reduced to its ability to work against the "static pressure"...

Concentrators need to be as close to an equal match in pressure as possible to get maximum volume..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-02-26, 6:50pm

Malcom, Dale, thank you both for responding, even though I basically asked the same question Rymnoceros asked recently. Yup, what you both said makes sense. Doesn't matter if there are reverse-flow check-valves or not, same unequal pressure problem regardless.

Linda
Old 2009-02-26, 9:57pm

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that the larger was overpowering the smaller and there wasn't anything I could do about it. Sounds like that's the concensus.

Greg