Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-11-07, 12:44pm

Default Hose Connections

When hooking up hose connections do you use teflon tape?? I am asking this because certain things can't be with the oxygen line, that is why I am wondering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-07, 2:42pm
Alaska Boro

You need to explain what is being connected to what.

If using welding type of brass connections (oxygen/fuel) at the end of a hose, then NO tape is used, EVER!!! If a connection to a barbed hose end then use a stainless steel hose clamp on the hose.
Old 2010-11-07, 5:52pm

this isn't like duct tape or scotch tape, this tape goes on threads to prevent leaks, they use it in plumbing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-07, 7:14pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Teflon tape should only be used with NPT (National Pipe Thread) connections, they are usually a "tapered" pipe thread.... There is only a very few places where Teflon tape may be uses in lampwork "plumbing" and that is usually reserved for piping in propane or oxygen in from outside or where a tapered pipe thread fitting is used to put a connector or valve into body of torch or regulator (not a hose connection) .... These types of connections should already be done by manufacturer of torch or regulators.... Any HOSE connection and any connection of a regulator to a tank is a clean metal to metal contact connection that relies on precision fit and the ability to put enough pressure on "connection" (tighten nut) to create a perfect seal.... IF you have a regulator to tank, or a hose to regulator, or hose to torch valve threaded connection and it is leaking you have either dirt in/on connection surfaces or the ball end or socket it fits into in valve body is damaged or connection is plain not tight.... There is not really any application where average "torch user" needs Teflon tape to seal a poor or leaking connection.... There is no place in lampwork studio for roll of Teflon tape once initial plumbing (gas and or oxygen) is done, get rid of it....

Image below is tank to regulator connector, it also functions the same for hose to regulator or hose to torch connection....Also notice the threads on nut for tightening connection, the are straight cut, not tapered..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-11-07 at 7:21pm.
Old 2010-11-07, 8:22pm

Thanks dale, I was just concerned as with anything I plumb seems to need the tape and wasn't sure it would be needed or for that matter safe without it. I def don't have any leaks except when I went to shut off the propane tank today I smelled propane... It was outside of course but should I be able to smell any propane??? Or is this a normal thing?

Old 2010-11-07, 9:09pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Shouldn't smell any propane.... BUT tank could leak a tiny amount around stem of valve when its open if seal is not really good...

And by the way Teflon tape is "safe" in any application.... There are some colored ones like yellow for fuel gas, and green for oxygen and some applications/specifications state one has to use proper color of Teflon tape for "this or that", but as a general rule "Teflon tape" is inert and good for all applications...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-11-07 at 9:12pm.