Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-10-03, 3:47pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
Ok
Thanks Greg, I hate long drawn out posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-10-03, 9:31pm

Well to the OP, though I am NOT at the Mary K level flower implosions OMG teach me!

Yes it's possible to make a decent profit off/living off boro glass work. I started 4 years ago and this is all I do now.
When I started I sold my I'm just learning pieces at 15.00, and have raised prices since then reworked a lot of stuff in between...not on schedule just felt like my skill was higher, my views higher, my photos OMG better, maybe next item needs to cost more... Average pendant is now like 30.00 everything larger is 45 plus and I'm on the cheaper side still...and icicles are SO going up soon.

Making a living at being an artist isnt Just being good at your art...it's marketing, it's perfectly photographing your item, it's customer service, it's SEO, its webdesign, its book keeping Fees lordy understanding the Fees let alone taxes, inventory, its whole selling and/or hitting up the shows. There is a Ton of Other stuffs one doesnt even think of when the Mind goes Gee I wonder if I could be...... It's NOT impossible. It just takes work, and IMO after watching so many artist flop on its this biz side stuff its not the art that hurts them but this small stuffs but again it's NOT impossible just is more things to learn then I'm betting your thinkin about atm.

Old 2015-10-04, 6:09pm

Thanks
untamedrose

I looked at your sites-- and you have many nice designs, great work -esp your hearts.
Old 2015-10-05, 2:42am
Slogan Challenged...

well said, Untamed! When I considered making a business of it, I thought I would spend most of my time making the beads. hahaha

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-10-20, 2:02pm

Mary K, I have a question if you don't mind. What gives the separation between the layers of petals? Is it the space between the lines you lay down?

Thank you!

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2015-10-20, 2:14pm

So many things wrong with this one, but I love it anyway.

Old 2015-10-26, 7:24am
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post
Mary K, I have a question if you don't mind. What gives the separation between the layers of petals? Is it the space between the lines you lay down?

Thank you!
Yes it is space and technique. My lines are thin, and sometimes I manipulate them with a tool to push the glass in or out, and then there is heat and where you keep your heat base hottest. Mostly though, it is years of practice and seeing what works well for you.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-10-26, 7:34am
Flamewoman

Lanemclglass your work is very nice. Only thing I would say to really work on is your bails or loops. You want them to be neat and even, and big enough to get a decent cord through them. A sloppy bail can ruin the look of the nicest pendant. Do you have a reamer and a paddle tweezers? Find a color that works well for you for your loops and be sure to make them as neat and even as possible. Your marbles are nice! In my experience I hate Etsy! they charge too much and you can get lost among all the crap that is on there these days. I like Facebook pages to sell, like Marbles and Things. Check that out, that is where I sell online, along with my facebook artist page.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-10-27, 4:18am

Thanks Mary! I did purchase 2 Regalia's and I'm loving the performance from my torch now. But now I've got my eye on that Sidewinder

One more question, you've got pictures of a pendant floating around the internet of a deep, deep red flower. I just LOVE it. Would you share what glass you used for that one?

Thanks!

Old 2015-10-27, 8:18am
Flamewoman

This one?
This is Asian Red, it is a striking color. Thin line of the red and then thinner line on top of that of carmel, and you need to work it as cool as you can. Takes forever. If you go fast and hot it will turn brown and ugly.

Some people call it china red as well. It is a cheap glass, and some batches are better than others. I had one stick that was all air and bubbles. Here it is used in the center petals.

it is tricky glass, hard to keep your heat low and slow. Once you get it compressed in, you can heat it hotter, but not for too long.
Patti I have had my eye on the sidewinder as well, but..... I think I would need ANOTHER regalia to run that. lol
Let me know if you get one!

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2015-10-27 at 8:21am.
Old 2015-10-27, 10:34am

Beautiful! Thank you. And I think I have some of that

Old 2015-10-27, 10:35am

Yes, I just missed one in the Garage sale ... darn! I might give them a call and ask.

Old 2015-10-27, 12:34pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post
Yes, I just missed one in the Garage sale ... darn! I might give them a call and ask.
One what?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-10-28, 9:14am

There was a Sidewinder in the garage sale