No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-06, 12:18pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Holding really shorts glass stubs

PICTURES ON POST #27 ON HOW I MADE MY OWN!

I need to make or buy something that will allow me to use the 1-3" rod stubbies. I do not want to waste any of my glass.

These are so short I cannot punty them w/o getting burned and every time I try to use tweezers I drop it..

So what do you use? If home made could I see a picture please?

Thanks
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-02-07 at 8:43pm.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:21pm
Scientific Glass Girl

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....84b13860ac2758

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-06, 12:21pm
Scientific Glass Girl

or http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html

Old 2009-02-06, 12:22pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I just use pliers or mashers or whatever is nearby to hold the shorty so I can melt it to a full rod. It doesn't take long, so I don't have to have something that has a perfect grip on the rod.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:42pm
Certified Thread Killer

I love to work with shorts...

I'm with Gelly, but, the place where the rods join can be really shocky if you don't need to melt that part right away.

(sportin' a new boobie glass tattoo because of it )

Either that or I melt it to a new rod or I stick it to the end of a clean mandrel and work with it that way.

The commercial rod holders can get a little spendy. Personally I have the "Uncle Al's Rod Grabber" on my own "wish" list.

For now I use a $3.00 pair of bent-nose pliers from Ace Hardware
Old 2009-02-06, 12:50pm
Corgi Cult Member

I took a cheap pair of needle nose pliers and used a dremel to cut off the ends so they are 1/4" wide. They grab the end of a rod well and fit my hand easily. The pair I used were not serrated, so they also make great mashers for really small sculptural pieces. (Actually that's what I originally made them for, but then discovered how handy they are for shorts.)

Old 2009-02-06, 1:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Oh! Great ideas everyone. I have tried the pliers but I keep loosening my grip and dropping it. Anything I have to put the squeeze on and hold doesn't seem to work for me.

Uncle Al's grabber huh? I will have to take a look see.

Thanks Gelly, I might try that....

Purple...Sowwry about your impromtu tattoo...I have a few of those myself..LOL

Thanks for the links. Off to do research now.
Lorraine
Old 2009-02-06, 1:13pm

I have a merikal - think that's what it is called. If I could weld I'd make moe myself- brilliant little tool, but not as cheap as I'd like them to be or I would have more than the one!

Old 2009-02-06, 1:42pm
I love glass!

I use these hemostats http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38034 . They lock and grip onto the glass.

Love, live, learn and laugh every day!

Old 2009-02-06, 1:58pm

One of my most valuable tools in the world is my Carlo Dona rod holder. Nothing like it!!! It's expensive but oh so worth it.

Old 2009-02-06, 2:00pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Hi Lorraine,

I use and sell the Italian Rod Holder:

Picture courtesy of www.frantzartglass.com

Here's the link on Frantz site.

It sells for $35 but they are out of stock. I have 4 left and mine sell for $30.00.

You can use the glass pretty much down to 1/2 inch! I rarely have more than stubs anymore.

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2009-02-06 at 2:04pm.
Old 2009-02-06, 2:10pm
balanced but asymmetrical

I've used the flaming clothes pins, then murrini hemostats, the Merikal tools are my favorite. They are lightweight, easy to use, and hold the glass securely down to the last nubbin (quick, easy pick-up and release).

Old 2009-02-06, 2:39pm
Temptress

http://www.merickal.com/
Old 2009-02-06, 2:44pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I have both the Uncle Al grabber and the Italian Rod holder, and I like the Italian Rod holder better. I don't like having to manipulate the locking closure on the Uncle Al's, and with the Italian holder, it grips and just a thumb-push releases the short bit left. Also, it's round so I can use it as a pseudo-mandrel on things like keys, or whatever. JMO.

ps. the merickal looks awesome!

Old 2009-02-06, 2:54pm
Resident hippie

Somewhere trawling through all the glass info in these forums I read that if you attach a short to a longer rod you pull the melted area so that it's narrower rather than fatter at the join while it cools. This way it won't shock so much.
I'd like to be able to give a reference for this but my brain is a huge bank of pigeon holes and very few have labels. . .

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2009-02-06, 2:56pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Anna,
That does actually work as well. I've done it a bunch of times when I have a short and a long of the same color right in front of me, plus I have a hot plate I use to keep things warm!

Old 2009-02-06, 3:06pm
Lampworkaholic!

Cheap cross-lock tweezers might work. since they operate the opposite way of regular tweezers - you squeeze to open them and let go to close them.

Me, I punty on to anything handy, a stringer, a random rod, a matching rod if I plan to keep using that color. If you do it when the shorts are 3-4 inches, no burn. if I wind up with a half inch on the punty, I pull a stringer - which is why I have a soup can full of mystery stringers - lol!

I think I must have asbestos fingers because I get pretty close to the flame. I've even had my thumbnail in the flame - I didn't feel it, I heard the hiss. It's good to know that gel nails don't ignite!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-02-06, 3:32pm
Yeah me!

I agree with fusing it to a longer rod. It's easy and doesn't cost anything. This way you can use ALL of it.

Old 2009-02-06, 8:10pm
Salt Box Beads

I have to get a good grip on it to maria it to another rod and that is my problem. I keep dropping it or twisting it.

Such great tools! I think I will get DH to try to make me one first.

I think I will remove the front teeth out of an alligator clip, flare out the side a little , braze it to a larger rod or screw driver handle and see if that will work.???

If it doesn't work I think I will take you up on your offer Barbara... Thanks for that offer.

Thanks to everyone else..I will try to get my DH to make it tomorrow. Will post pics if it works.

Lorraine
Old 2009-02-07, 3:22am
The Brighter the Better!

I use stainless steel fishing pliers which have a little knoby bit...very technical I know, at the end. I ground a little depression in the jaws of the pliers under the knob and they work like a treat! Got mine at the hardware store,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2009-02-07, 4:36am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Another merickal fan here! I thought they were a bit over priced, but I use them EVERY time I torch. Love them.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-02-07, 4:44am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Another merickal fan here! I thought they were a bit over priced, but I use them EVERY time I torch. Love them.
This is a great tool !

Old 2009-02-07, 5:26am

the merickal is the best tool. it is lightweight, comfortable and works like a charm. if i could afford several, i would. it is worth the price. i have tried many of the suggestions and the merickal is by far the best solution for shorts...kth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Old 2009-02-07, 7:35am

I have a set of clips (like small jumper cable clips) that I use every day for this. I customized them by rounding the soft flat clamping end around a glass rod so that they hold really well.
They work like a charm

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2009-02-07, 7:54am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameonglass View Post
I have a set of clips (like small jumper cable clips) that I use every day for this. I customized them by rounding the soft flat clamping end around a glass rod so that they hold really well.
They work like a charm
That's right...alligator clips! I have some of these, probably from Harbor Freight or an electronics store. The base on the ones that I have has a crimp end that can be crimped onto the end of a mandrel (permanently).

I have not tried this because I haven't had to.

Lorraine, you helped me way back when I first got my Mega Minor...now I can "sort of" return the favor. I noticed last night that I could hold and punty a pretty short piece—less than 2-inches—to a longer piece. The secret is to turn down the flame. You don't have to leave it that way, you can turn it back up when you're done.

Having done this, I haven't had the need to look for a mandrel for my alligator clips, or order a fancy rod holder (but still want to because I'm a tool ho'), or use hemostats, pliers, or other holders. It's easier to just turn down the flame and marry two rods together (imho, of course).

~Rachelle
Old 2009-02-07, 11:28am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

You're welcome Lorraine. I am intrigues with what you come up with using alligator clips. Please be sure to post a picture ok?
Old 2009-02-07, 7:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you so much Rachelle..you are a sweetie.

Sorry Barbara...Hehe. I figured it out and made one that works great! Cost me 2.59 for the clips. Thanks so much for the offer.

If times were not so lean right now I would have bought it from you.

So, here are the pics of what I did.

Picture on the left, top clip is normal. Bottom clip I have nipped and flared.
I nipped off the nose just a bit with a large pair of wire cutters.

Then I flared it out with some needlenose pliers.

Picture on the right shows it with mandrel and glass nubby and the bag of clips from Radio Shack in case anyone wants to make one.

VIOLA' !!! I am in business. I will probably weld or braze the rod to the alligator clip tomorrow to make sure it stays put.

Not to shabby eh?

Hugs
Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-02-08, 2:19am

That rocks!! Thanks for sharing.... it is so cool!!

:-

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions" Albert Einstein.
Old 2009-02-08, 8:01am
Certified Thread Killer

Lorraine,

That does ROCK!

That's just how I envisioned it

~Rachelle
Old 2009-02-08, 9:06am

Hmmm the clips look interesting, but I wonder how they will stand up to the heat of the torch? What kind of metal are they? Will it give off fumes?

I too like the merickal, work like a charm but yea a bit pricey, but considering I am saving money on glass, it kinda works all out.