Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-15, 12:51pm
Bead Maniac

Default What is the best way to photograph BORO?

This is driving me crazy ...I would like to have a consistant way to capture all the beauty of Boro ..any tips ? thanks Susan

My blog.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-15, 2:36pm

Susan,
Scott had a fantastic tut in the Dark Room on using levels with photoshop. I found that if I took a photograph of a boro focal a little on the undeveloped side, and than adjusted with photoshop levels, the resulting colors that appeared were the actual beautiful, boro colors...not making something else...actually showcasing what the bead looked like.
Here's the link. Read it several times and play with it; at first I was like...this is too tech for me, but it isn't and the results, well...they are AMAZING!!!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11879

I was trying to upload a before and after boro heart photo, but couldn't resize it. PM me and I'll email you the photos, so you will see what I mean.

The levels work great on soft glass too!

Kristy
Old 2009-02-15, 4:00pm
Bead Maniac

Default boro colors

Here are some photos I took today ...I have corel photo shop pro ...my poor brain is fried...and trying to find a suitable background is the other problem.....

My blog.

Old 2009-02-15, 4:18pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Try a solid black background, even a piece of black construction paper will work in a pinch.
It seems that boro shows more colors when taken on black for me.
I know I have better luck taking pictures of my boro in my light tent and turning off all the other lights or after it is dark.
It is tricky to get the real colors to show, that's for sure.

Old 2009-02-15, 5:15pm

I'm having some similar issues and just today picked up some black ceramic tiles and a sheet of black poster board that has a semi gloss finish. When I get some pics done I'll post the results.
Old 2009-02-15, 8:14pm

Here are the first results using ceramic tile and paper. All photos have not been edited except for being cropped and saved for the web. I'm using two 5000k fluorescent bulbs for lighting.

This one I had the lights shinning up towards the ceiling and a low speed set on my camera. Taken on the black ceramic tile.

This one the lights are also shinning up towards the ceiling and a low speed set on my camera. Taken on ceramic tile.

This one the light are shinning more on the glass and a low setting on my camera. Taken on semi gloss poster board.

This one the light are shinning more on the glass and a low setting on my camera. Taken on semi gloss poster board.

This one I used cross lighting instead of diffused or head on. Taken on ceramic tile.

This one I used cross lighting instead of diffused or head on. Taken on ceramic tile. Excuse the dust in this one it's a real PITA to keep the dust off of the black tile.

The colors of the boro in the first two pics are more accurate if a little muted. I really like how the last two turned out but I also want true colors so I will attempt to diffuse the light a small amount and see what happens. Will post more as I get them done.

Last edited by kittyluv4ever; 2009-02-15 at 8:18pm.
Old 2009-02-15, 9:34pm
Bead Maniac

Great Photos Donna ....I need to get that lighting thing right, for my indoor I have been using halogen lights works fine on soft glass not boro ...I have to order the proper lights.
Susan

My blog.