Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-05-02, 9:38pm
Naysayer

Default Smaller amounts of frit?

Is there a supplier that sells smaller than 4 oz? I'm making beads not vases
Old 2015-05-03, 6:36am
Borovangelist

I think if you knew what went into making, sifting, cleaning, and sizing frit, you'd respect that minimum size a bit more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2015-05-03, 9:20am

GA has a sampler set for $80. I have lots of smaller packets of NS frit, but I don't remember where I got them. Here's one I found on etsy- https://www.etsy.com/listing/2075233...w_type=gallery

You could try the garage sale too, put an ISO ad up.

Old 2015-05-04, 10:18am

Sells momka in 2oz
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MagpieGlas...tion_leftnav_3

Old 2015-05-05, 5:10pm
Co-owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Salt City Glass is just finishing their FRIT BAR. It will be on our site by May 15th. You will be able to buy boro frit in any amount from 1 ounce to 16 ounces. We've had many requests from our site guests and we are excited to kick it off.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2015-05-05, 8:08pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpayne View Post
Salt City Glass is just finishing their FRIT BAR. It will be on our site by May 15th. You will be able to buy boro frit in any amount from 1 ounce to 16 ounces. We've had many requests from our site guests and we are excited to kick it off.
Neat!

|
|
Old 2015-05-10, 11:45pm
Naysayer

awesome, thanks everyone!
-Tom, but all they are doing is pouring it into smaller baggies tho? I respect, I don't have the funds or knowledge of colors so...

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2015-05-10 at 11:50pm.
Old 2015-05-11, 6:21am

Quote:
-Tom, but all they are doing is pouring it into smaller baggies tho? I respect, I don't have the funds or knowledge of colors so...
Currently (unless Salt City is making it or found someone else to make it for them) myself and Cathy at ePlanet Glass are the only people who make Momka Frit. Momka does not offer it as it is out of the scope of her operation at the present time.

I'm also authorized to make TAG frit in any color and size and resell.

I price my frit at 1/16 of the going price per pound rounded up and then by number of ounces. So unless I get a really good discount on the originating glass ... I lose money. But I have an awesome frit inventory for my own playtime!!

Old 2015-05-11, 8:02am

Quote:
Yes but a lot of overhead goes into making it initially. Most of the soft glass frit I buy for the hot shop is sold by the kilo. Most non gold colors go for around $40 a kilo and the gold colors are in the $65 range. Boro is no different really except that the demand is much lower. In the small bags that I see here the pricing is astronomical.
Old 2015-05-11, 8:36am
Borovangelist

...plus, those baggies are a nightmare because the glass is abrasive if will cut through them easily. Yes, they could get the little paint pot containers, but that's one more thing to stock and track. It'd be like if you got a custom order for one spacer. By the time you make it, put it in an envelope and lose money to the paypal fee, you've lost money on it.

4 oz is basically the smallest they can reasonably sell to still see a profit.

Having said that, samplers would be awesome

|
|
Old 2015-05-11, 8:58am

For soft 96 frit East Bay Batch And Color has been offering samplers for years. Lots of different options and great folks to buy from.
Old 2015-05-11, 9:02am

I use 4 mil bags rather than 2 mils that I buy in bulk from Uline. The glass doesn't cut through them as easily ... though it can if handled roughly. Also have 2 oz jars that I bought in bulk. No profit in those at all ... in bulk paid .28 each but with Etsy listing fee of .20 and selling at .50 ... they are a wash.

Profit margin is minimal ... but I like boro frit ... so I make it.

I can do custom samplers, and have. But it's through custom listing only.

Old 2015-05-13, 11:38am

I do have a few containers here in the store of smaller amounts Here is a picture of 4 of them and there prices according to what is in the container
pm me if we can help we carry most of the Northstar in small in 4 oz but I have these little containers so I can sell at less oz if that helps pm me if you want some
Attached Images

Old 2015-05-17, 11:32pm
Naysayer

Laura I faved your shop, and sunray I'll pm when I get ahead with some cash, toothpayne I'll keep an eye out!

I've not had a problem with baggies, i just stuff them in a container lol! Only time I've had an issue is when I melt them on accident haha
But I do prefer them over containers, I don't have the room.
Old 2015-06-08, 7:14pm
Co-owner

Quote:
We were planning on having our Frit Bar open by now. It will be open by June 26th and you can buy any of our frit by the ounce, 4 oz., 8 oz or 16 oz. First quality factory grinds only. Northstar frits first. All packaged in clear plastic jars.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2015-06-20, 4:47am

I am making 1/2 oz size bags of Zimmermann frits..8 bag sample per order and it will include a tiny(enough for six or so beads) of Z-99..The set will be showing up soon in a new post.Need cash for medical reasons.
"

Old 2015-06-20, 3:01pm
hyperT

Default LOL

Even 4 oz doesn't go very far on beads. You would be wasting your time and money on anything less. Or you can make one of a kind beads and whisper frit over them and never return to that design again. Some of the frit companies do have small sample bags of frit that may work for one or two beads.
As for me I just make tiny vases LOL
Old 2015-07-02, 7:27pm

I know no one asked but it popped in my head. THESE are perfect little frit trays for pendant sized stuffs. Will stack up when not in use with the frit in there, thou Im not Filling them just a 1/4 inch of so in there at a time. (plus kinda fun to blue steel them in the flame when your dinkin around) http://www.amazon.com/Update-Interna...25X3K4YBGZQ97Y

Old 2015-07-28, 11:10pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Even 4 oz doesn't go very far on beads. You would be wasting your time and money on anything less. Or you can make one of a kind beads and whisper frit over them and never return to that design again. Some of the frit companies do have small sample bags of frit that may work for one or two beads.
As for me I just make tiny vases LOL
not sure why you say that, the 'norm' for 104 is 1 ounce, it lasts me fine ? It's not like I'm new to frit lol. But, it's nice to try before you buy as well
...eta, i still even have frit baggies from JoDell if you have any idea how old that is, maybe not but it's old hahaa

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2015-07-28 at 11:36pm.
Old 2015-07-28, 11:34pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
I know no one asked but it popped in my head. THESE are perfect little frit trays for pendant sized stuffs. Will stack up when not in use with the frit in there, thou Im not Filling them just a 1/4 inch of so in there at a time. (plus kinda fun to blue steel them in the flame when your dinkin around) http://www.amazon.com/Update-Interna...25X3K4YBGZQ97Y
these are cool. I use slide top lip balm containers, I like that they are long.