No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-09, 4:03pm
I think I could be a bead

Default Please give me some ideas

on how to use my tumbler. What are some good ways to utilize it besides polishing silver? I have a double barreled one, and I would really like to put it to good use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-09-10, 8:05pm

I really shouldn't be responding to this since I have no personal experience with it, but I felt bad that you had no replies! I think you can use your tumbler to get an etched effect on beads...

Old 2007-09-10, 8:07pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Great for cleaning your brass for reloading.
Old 2007-09-10, 8:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnew View Post
I really shouldn't be responding to this since I have no personal experience with it, but I felt bad that you had no replies! I think you can use your tumbler to get an etched effect on beads...
yep - use some silicon carbide and tumble away - I love the feel and not messing with the acid

there are a few tumbling threads with instructions if this interests you - just make sure it's not the same tumbler you use for silver!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-09-10, 10:41pm
da General

Mallory -

here is an old thread . . . I read somewhere that you can get the etch glass effect by using sand and old beads, not sure if this is the thread tho, but it does contain lots of good info. I never tried it coz I only have one drum.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21197

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-09-10, 11:15pm
Entropy increasing....

I tumbled some glass beads yesterday and today. I have tried it with beach sand, like someone suggested. Two days and not a single scratch on the suckers. I know the beach does it eventually, but I would think a month or so for that to do anything at all.

Then I got some silicon carbide grit. I don't know what the number is, I got it at Harbor Freight. They sell a package of 4 grits. I used the most course one. It's used for rock tumbling so....it should be pretty course, right? After about 16 hours I guess they are etched. Not as etched as the acid, but they are etched.

I read on Corina's site that they should take 45 minutes or so. And she used a finer grit. I don't get it.