Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-08-31, 1:38am
Baalamb

This is a bit random..but www.vicsew.com.au in Australia have bobbins without the holes for $1 ea. They also have some interesting beading tweezers which could shape glass. Postage? Worth asking
Old 2011-08-31, 4:55am
Your Royal Fritness

Tillie I think it is very nice, great shape and color! You rocked it out on your 1st try

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-31, 4:57am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhealer View Post
No offense, but I found them at JoAnns for 4.29 for 12 in a plastic box...I'm still grumpy cause my china-mart has nasty ones that don't work in four packs instead of the 10 for 1.97 that somebody found them for.
Keep checking back at china-mart (lol never heard it called that) I bet they would order them for you too My JoAnns were twice the price for them as well I was hoping for the small ones too but they did not carry them.

Old 2011-08-31, 5:31am
Queen Bee

I have tons of bobbins, including the little tiny ones I did some on the tiny bobbins last night, hopefully I can post pics today. They are adorable! They are also waaaay more expensive than the standard size. If any one wants some: regular size bobbins (with holes) are .30 each, and the itty biddy ones are $1 each (no holes), plus shipping. They are not in my shop yet, hopefully today, but convo me if you would like any.

The little ones are too cute, and hold up well in the flame. Pics to come!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2011-08-31 at 5:34am.
Old 2011-08-31, 7:38am
Your Royal Fritness

Donna can't wait to see the tiny ones. I think they would be soooo cool on bracelets. What size are your small ones?

Old 2011-08-31, 9:21am

Where do you buy the small ones? CC

Old 2011-08-31, 9:46am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Found them, I love eBay! Now that I know they exist I'll check my local stores first. These would be great for bracelets!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-SMALL-BOB...50667325165740
I found them here but BeadBlossoms are less depending on shipping, Plus I don't know what mm's BeadsBlossoms are yet. Waiting patiently for pictures....

EDITED to add: I have not bought the eBay ones so I do not know how they hold up to the heat. BeadBlooms says hers works great

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2011-08-31 at 11:55am.
Old 2011-08-31, 10:28am

Here's some that I did last year. You have to keep the bobbin out of the heat though or it sparks and melts.
Jessica

Old 2011-08-31, 12:03pm
Queen Bee

The tiny bobbins are 5/8 of an inch - too cute. Going out to check the kiln right now and hopefully snap some pics

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2011-08-31, 12:07pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
The tiny bobbins are 5/8 of an inch - too cute. Going out to check the kiln right now and hopefully snap some pics
Donna can you send me 10 of the small ones please. Can I paypal you the funds? Thanks!

Old 2011-08-31, 12:27pm
Your Royal Fritness

Nice Jesssica

Old 2011-08-31, 12:30pm
Queen Bee

OK, here are the pics - please ignore the absolute yucky lampwork. I did them very fast, and it is in no way the bobbin's fault, lol. No bobbins were hurt during this production . Both of the sizes are industrial bobbins. The tiny bobbins are 5/8 inch.

Donna

Old 2011-08-31, 12:51pm
Your Royal Fritness

Those are SWEET! Thanks for the side by side shot, I can't wait to try the small ones, Thanks

Old 2011-08-31, 7:37pm
Lampworkaholic!

Still working on design ideas ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-08-31, 8:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Let's plan something when school starts back up. I've got one in 7th grade and then a senior at CMU.

Dawn
Ok, that sounds good! Mine are 7th & 10th and my son is a senior at WMU...I heard the rivalry between those colleges is pretty severe, so I won't tell him if you don't tell yours

Everyone's beads are so beautiful. I just bought some bobbins, now I just need to get some torch time...

Old 2011-09-01, 7:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhealer View Post
No offense, but I found them at JoAnns for 4.29 for 12 in a plastic box...I'm still grumpy cause my china-mart has nasty ones that don't work in four packs instead of the 10 for 1.97 that somebody found them for.
Not offended at all. These are from an industrial sewing source and very good quality (not that I am saying your are not). I will work on the price issue with them.

-debbi

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-09-01, 7:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Did you notice that I ordered copper tubing from you????
I did, and a huge Thank You!

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-09-01, 11:17am
Dare to be different.

I've been reading and watching this thread and finally tried some yesterday. First two are in the trash, these are attempts three and four.

Old 2011-09-01, 12:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

Lovely Maggie.

I'm still struggling with getting the glass to stick to the bobbin without actually melting the bobbin. I had better luck with my grandmother's old ones than with the ones from Walmart. They held up to the flame better.

I ordered some that are supposed to be steel or stainless steel and I'm going to wait for them before I attempt to make any more.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-09-08, 7:21am
Janell

I received my tiny bobbins in the mail today, the kiln is on

[url]
Old 2011-09-08, 7:54am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janell View Post
I received my tiny bobbins in the mail today, the kiln is on
Me too! They are so cute I can't wait to give them a try

Old 2011-09-09, 8:14am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Would you believe that my Walmart only has clear plastic bobbins? Dang it!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-09-09, 8:19am
Your Royal Fritness

Maggie I love the colors! Very pretty beads

Old 2011-09-09, 8:59am
Mr Brutus RIP

I've made 3, 2 I really dont' like and then this one. My chopsticks are rectangles and small so the bobbins just slide off, so I taped a bunch of older bent mandrels together and shoved one on, it works good!

They are fun to make....
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-09, 9:08am
Queen Bee

Where are the pics of the tiny bobbin beads???! C'mon, don't be shy, inquiring minds want to see, lol

Donna

Old 2011-09-09, 9:10am
Janell

I worked on boro yesterday I didnt want to clean my bench, lol I didnt think they would hold up to boro. I will hopefully work on some this weekend.

[url]
Old 2011-09-09, 4:53pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Arrow Springs just released a bobbin mandrel...
http://www.arrowsprings.com/
Old 2011-09-09, 5:21pm

Default Arrow Springs

Well it seems your secret is out of the bag and Arrow Springs is now offering mandrels just for bobbin beads.
Old 2011-09-09, 10:25pm

Loving all the bobbins, so I tried it yesterday.
Not very successful. I didn't melt my bobbin but it seems rough and I got discoloration around the edge where the glass and metal touch. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for the tutorial Dawn.
Old 2011-09-10, 12:09pm
Your Royal Fritness

Carmen try working a little further out of the flame with a tight flame (not bushy) keep the flame directed on the rod of glass only above the bobbin edge. Also use a thin rod of glass to fill the bobbin, it melts quick and is a lot easier to work when filling up the bobbins. I wind my glass only in the center of the bobbin, not touching the inside of the bobbin walls. Once I have it over the bobbin edges I roll it down into the bobbin with my marver. You will have to add a little at a time until your bobbin fills up. Once you make a few of them it goes fast.