No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-11, 1:45pm
one day at a time

Default Harbor Freight tumbler?

Who has one and is happy with it? How long have you had it? Do the belts really break all the time?? Or is that just user error.

My etching liquid (Dip n Etch) needs to be replaced soon because it's taking longer than usual to etch evenly. I was thinking that since the recent thread on its toxicity has me more than a little nervous, why not forget about replacing the chemicals and get a tumbler instead? I did some forum searching and got a lot of info, including the tutorial quoted from Corina's site, but I do understand that the Lortone brand is a better machine. But since the Lortone is out of my budget, I was wondering if the Harbor Freight Tumbler would be a good second choice?

I love making etched beads and they do sell a lot for me, so hubby says get a tumbler. I would have to use it maybe once every week or two, and I would tumble quite a few beads at a time. As many as I can get to fit in the 3lb drum along with the tumbling materials.
Old 2013-02-11, 1:48pm
Loving learning

I will just mention that they do sell a warranty and if I were you I'd get it. You will be using it so much, that it would be good to have the security of knowing you can get a replacement if it does break.
(I bought one but have not used it enough to speak to the issue of wearing out/belts breaking/etc at all)
Old 2013-02-11, 1:52pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I will just mention that they do sell a warranty and if I were you I'd get it. You will be using it so much, that it would be good to have the security of knowing you can get a replacement if it does break.
(I bought one but have not used it enough to speak to the issue of wearing out/belts breaking/etc at all)
Oh that's right, I do remember the mention of adding the 2 year warranty in another thread. I think the tumbler has only a 90 day warranty with purchase. How much does the extra warranty cost?
Old 2013-02-11, 1:57pm
Flame On!

I have the harbor Freight tumbler. So far, so good. I'm getting a second barrel, I only have one and I need another. I will say that I experienced the dreaded "black gunk" after about 2 uses, so I would, without a doubt, run it with burnishing compound, dump it, fill it, repeat several times before you put anything good in it. I have read that it happens to a lot of barrels, that the inside needs to "break in". It only happened to me in the beginning and never since, but unfortunately, I hadn't seen the warnings and advice and my silver came out like gunmetal and it was hell to get right again!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-11, 1:57pm

How much are the Harbor Freight one? Lortone tumblers are not that expensive, and are real work horses. And if the belt does wear out, it is super easy to replace.
Old 2013-02-11, 1:58pm
Loving learning

I don't remember for sure, but think it was something like $10-15?
Old 2013-02-11, 2:03pm
one day at a time

Yep, the warranty is $9.99, and I will have to purchase it at the store. I can't purchase the warranty online. No biggie, it's just a good excuse to get out of the house and take that long drive to the nearest store.

The Lortone 3A was the one I was looking at, and on Amazon it's about $98 with free shipping. I'll have to decide if there is a way to sacrifice and spend the extra $50 to get the Lortone. That's why I wanted to know if anyone has the Harbor Freight tumbler and if they are truly happy with it.

Anyway it goes, I want to replace my chemical etch with a mechanical one! lol
Old 2013-02-11, 2:15pm
Flame On!

That's exactly what I'm doing! I hate hate that Dip-N-Etch stuff, so I'm going to try pony beads and silicone carbide in my tumbler. I have a Harbor Freight near my home, so between that and the cost difference of the Lortone, I went with the HF. I haven't had bad luck really with anything I've gottne there, but I may have just gotten lucky. I knew I wasn't going to use it as much as some people do, though. If I worked in metal more and used it on a dailey, I would probably have gotten the Lorton.

Old 2013-02-11, 2:42pm

I have the double barrel HF tumbler-one for glass, one for metal. I'm very happy with it but the belts do break and I only use one barrel at a time. I keep stocked up on belts.

Georgia
Old 2013-02-11, 2:44pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I have a harbor frieght one. I was tired of being paranoid about the liquid etch.
SO, the first one I got didn't work. Its over an hour away so I was pretty upset but they took it right back and I got a new one. ALSO, it was on sale AND they let me use a coupon it, so made me happy! It came with extra belts. I've never had a problem...........AND,
glassattic and others....... use a soup thermos! No, I didnt' come up with that and my horrible memory won't let me give you the name of the genius who did but if you look there is a thread here about how she does it! I just happened to have one on hand that we never use but I see them at the thrift store all the time. I keep the thermos with the stainless shot cause I dont' use it too often and the big barrel that it came with I keep pony beads, the silicone carbide and use it for etching beads.....and making the beach glass beads. LOL
I'm very happy with my purchase! (which was about 4 month or more ago...hmm, that memory thing again)
sue

Old 2013-02-11, 2:52pm

Also have the Harbor Freight tumbler. The belts really do break all the time (even when I'm not using it). Not just user error ... I think it's planned obsolecence.

I bought replacement ones in bulk from Amazon ... got an 0 ring that is the same size as the belt. Maybe $3 plus shipping for 100 belts .... I'm good for life. Rather than $3+ a belt at HF.

Mine was a hand me down from my jewelry teacher who had been through multiple HF tumblers (tumbling PMC with SS shot)... so I haven't had the black gunk issue. But then I'm only doing glass with plastic beads and silicon carbide.

Because I work mostly harder glasses (boro and bullseye) I let it spin for several days with a mix of 120-220 grade media. I also went to a pet store and bought reef rock that I used for a more "natural" beach glass tumble feel.

The Lortone is definitely a higher quality machine ... but for no more than I use mine. It's not worth the extra expense for me.

Old 2013-02-11, 2:54pm

The Lortone will last many more years and they are work horses, personally I would go with the better machine. If you do buy the HF machine the warranty is well worth while. I bought the vibrating machine from HF and after three or four uses it would not start properly and I was getting a burning smell. I stopped using it, I did not trust it unattended.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-11, 2:58pm
one day at a time

So far, I've received some really good input. I appreciate that, thanks!
Old 2013-02-11, 3:01pm

I got the Harbor Freight one. It's OK but I don't use it all that much. So far the belt hasn't broken. Getting the lid off is a PITA. I'll have to find the soup thermos post. I'd love to have a screw on/off lid instead of the one I have to pry off.

Old 2013-02-11, 3:04pm
Capp'in Fool

I have had mine for over 4 yrs and it is a champ.....never have replaced the belt (fingers crossed)...now I spoke it just might break...lol

Old 2013-02-11, 3:09pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Here is the thermos thread by SageCreekStudio.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235265

--
--
--

Old 2013-02-11, 3:11pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I have the Harbor Freight tumbler. It works and I've not had a belt break, but I've not really used it much.

I was thinking of soon switching to tumble etching. I'm just sad because it does seem to knock off the pretty tiny silver balls on SIS beads.

--
--
--

Old 2013-02-11, 3:45pm
Alaska Boro

For boro work using a vibrating tumbler with SC. For beads it is about 2 hours which produces an excellent faux sea glass bead.

http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler3.html
Old 2013-02-11, 3:56pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've used a HF tumbler for several years for jewelry making. I've had to replace the belt a couple of times. theglassattic, where did you find additional barrels? That's the one thing I've been bummed about -- that I couldn't find a way to buy another barrel.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-02-11, 4:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
Here is the thermos thread by SageCreekStudio.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235265
Thank you Rose. It won't work for mine darnit, I just have a single.

Old 2013-02-11, 4:11pm
Senior Moment

I have had a HF tumbler for years and have never had a problem. No broken belts. I did loosen the tension on the belt when I first got it.

Old 2013-02-11, 4:23pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I got my extra Lortone tumbler barrels here... I'm guessing the HF and Lortone are the same size barrel?

http://www.therockshed.com/partslortone.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I've used a HF tumbler for several years for jewelry making. I've had to replace the belt a couple of times. theglassattic, where did you find additional barrels? That's the one thing I've been bummed about -- that I couldn't find a way to buy another barrel.