Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-30, 7:55pm
Queen Bee

Default Boro Shade 3's?

I just ordered the Philips titanium boro shade 3 glasses from Frantz -
boro shades. Hopefully these are ok for making beads? Probably should have asked first, huh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-03-30, 9:31pm

I use the same type of shade #3 lens, different frame though, they work for me. you may have to add extra lighting to your torch area, they make things pretty dark.

Old 2012-03-31, 1:51am
Alaska Boro

Yes, additional lighting will help. Use a didy shield and shade 3 clip ons for about nine bucks from the local welding shop. An inexpensive way to change to shade 5 if necessary.
Old 2012-03-31, 9:08am
Queen Bee

Thanks so much - I have the clip on boros, but putting it all together with my regular didys and my clip on magnifying lenses was a bit ridiculous Fitting 2 differrent clip ons onto my didys was a bit heavy. At least now I will be able to clip on only the magnifying lenses. I can't find the removable optix magnifiers in 2.5 power anywhere!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2012-04-02, 5:31am

shade 3's are perfect for beads and smaller objects. You only need to worry about 5's when your working big.
Old 2012-04-04, 8:31am

5 aren't necessarily just for big work. if you are fuming gold and silver, on any size level, you should have a 5 on. It's all about the flare you are being exposed to, what high metal content the colors have, etc.....not so much depending on the size of your project. someone could do tiny gold fume implosions all day, and definitely be in need of a shade 5. or, if you are working disco sparkle all day, the same could be said, even if just making beads.

3's are great for just boro color though, on any scale. like was mentioned, some good lights go along way to balancing out the dark shades.

as fars the optx in 2.5, we have not been able to get them back in stock for a good while now. not sure what the deal is. maybe i'll give a call and find out.

Old 2012-04-05, 12:14pm
Queen Bee

Thanks again for the info! So far, I'm just using regular boro on samll beads, so it looks like I'm ok for now. But I'd love to find those Optix stick on's!

Donna